Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How has mental illness affected your life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Yeah. They're pretty disturbing. Often they will have a particular trigger, and I must get away/ avoid them or it. If I can't get away, I try with all my consciousness to mask my trembling and blushing and think about something else. I fidget or scribble when it becomes almost unavoidable.

Then there are others which are obsessive mental rumination. They last longer, but produce less physical anxiety usually.
    **** sounds like you get them pretty bad, ive only just realised i get them really. like when i walk over a bridge or pick up a knife to cut vegetables i get them sometimes which sounds really bad but usually its just for a few seconds. do yours last much longer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaasy)
    **** sounds like you get them pretty bad, ive only just realised i get them really. like when i walk over a bridge or pick up a knife to cut vegetables i get them sometimes which sounds really bad but usually its just for a few seconds. do yours last much longer?
    The other ones I mentioned can continue for hours upon end and I find it hard to distract myself. They only stop once the "cycle" comes to an end. And then they will come back the next day or even a few hours after, and it will start all over again.

But for the shorter ones, they only last as long as I'm in proximity of a trigger, whether it's objects or people. But then they're followed by exhausting social anxiety for the rest of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    The other ones I mentioned can continue for hours upon end and I find it hard to distract myself. They only stop once the "cycle" comes to an end. And then they will come back the next day or even a few hours after, and it will start all over again.

But for the shorter ones, they only last as long as I'm in proximity of a trigger, whether it's objects or people. But then they're followed by exhausting social anxiety for the rest of the day.
    crap that doesnt sound nice, are you on meds for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaasy)
    crap that doesnt sound nice, are you on meds for that?
    Not at the moment. I didn't realise I had a problem till late last year. Then there was a ton of confusion after I went to the doctor's, missed my referral, and now I have to sort it out again. :giggle:

Annd I managed to arrange a proper appointment as of today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShaolinTemple)
    How do you know if you're bipolar and it's not just external factors causing the myriad of mood swings? I'm asking cause I really think I do have bipolar.
    You go describe your symptoms to a doctor, not the internet.

Multiple personality disorder (MPD), depression and slight parranoia.

Makes life hard cos you're always on edge for a trigger, or for the next time you let something slip. I always find that I have to speak slowly to make sure what I've said doesnt give anyone a clue. Was on meds but they really messed me up. Made me put on weight (I'm already fat I don't need MORE lol) couldnt sleep then when i finally did sleep i was out for days. The constant talknig in your head can also make it really hard to listen to lessons.

Another problem? Its really hard to find anyone who knows what the feck I'm rambling about, aparently I have it easy (only have 6 personalities while some I've read about have upwards of 100) but still it'd be nice to find someone who suffered too. Misery loves company =P

I've been struggling quite a fair bit recently, battling with thoughts, I get some.strong urges to hurt but I have never been a self harmer. When I was younger, I semi starved myself. I forced myself to eat at home ( one meal in the evening ) sometimes I wouldn't eat that either, because I would.make excuses that I had already eaten, didn't fancy what everyone was having. It became so easy, when I was feeling down just to not eat. Would just hide away. No one really ever noticed, but as I kept eating that one meal no one would have noticed. Giving how little I ate I'm shocked that I still weoghed quite a bit ( 9st ) yet all I sae was how fat I was. I always had quite a rounded stomach. I was always jealous of the girls with flat stomachs.
    Now I just see myself as a beached whale. I know I wont get a good figure again. I just find bottling It up so much easier than talking about it. But It does get hard when it gets all too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shmeiks)
    So far only through these annoying threads...
    Don't go on these 'annoying threads' then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaasy)
    does anyone have intrusive thoughts? and how do you cope with it?
    Yes. I find it incredibly humiliating, even though obviously knows what I'm thinking. I usually try to distract myself as best I can. It works sometimes, but at other times it's futile.

ReputationRep:
    Going to my GP tomorrow about how I've been feeling for the past few years or so. I'm very nervous and I'm really hoping it won't be a bad experience.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toasteh)
    Going to my GP tomorrow about how I've been feeling for the past few years or so. I'm very nervous and I'm really hoping it won't be a bad experience.
    Well done you! That's a brilliant step in the right direction! Fingers crossed for you! I'm sure it'll be fine!

15 weeks of episode tomorrow :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    For me the worst is people failing to recognize my problems, and shrugging it off as me just being eccentric. I am a manic-depressive, and people barely seem to comprehend or grasp that. My family especially, on a manic week when I blurt out or react in a severe way to something small, I am treated as if I have full control when I really don't.

There need's to be a larger emphasis on teaching people about mental disorders and or personality disorders, because it can seriously hinder people.

Oh and I find it extremely hard to communicate with people at all, so I find it increasingly problematic to have friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Well done you! That's a brilliant step in the right direction! Fingers crossed for you! I'm sure it'll be fine!

Thanks. I hope I can get there tomorrow - my mother said she'd book an appointment but she's been very moody recently and she may not. If I can't tomorrow I'll go with my Dad or Grandparents on Tuesday. Obviously I'm not telling them what it's really for. After a long time putting this off I had the final straw today in school because I'm leaving and I've been feeling awful (more the fact I'm leaving someone too but I think you know what I mean there). I've just spent the last 40 minutes crying over it and had been earlier today :erm: I have energy to revise either which is worrying. There are many other issues too but this whole thing is aggravating it.

I hope you feel better soon.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    psychosis? I can't imagine how bad 15 weeks of that would be. I'm just getting out of an episode myself, thankfully found some meds which are working absolute wonders I feel so good I never thought I could feel like this. Just a few weeks ago I was contemplating suicide, then I was on a psych ward now I'm hopefully getting discharged from that and moving on with my life. I guess what I'm trying to say is there is hope my friend, don't give up. :hugs:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    psychosis? I can't imagine how bad 15 weeks of that would be. I'm just getting out of an episode myself, thankfully found some meds which are working absolute wonders I feel so good I never thought I could feel like this. Just a few weeks ago I was contemplating suicide, then I was on a psych ward now I'm hopefully getting discharged from that and moving on with my life. I guess what I'm trying to say is there is hope my friend, don't give up. :hugs:
    :sadnod: Last one was about 6 months. I'm just hoping this one isn't as long, coz that would kinda suck Thanks for sharing your story though. I'm glad you're feeling better and moving forward with life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belizibub)
    I am treated as if I have full control when I really don't.
    God, I hate that. Really, really really hate that.

People tend to learn pretty quickly not to piss me off when I'm manic though, tis a very bad idea, so that's something at least, I guess..

ReputationRep:
    I had psychosis for about 3 years. Bad experience. Lonely goathered or whatever your name is - how are you finding it ? What are your symptoms?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    I had psychosis for about 3 years. Bad experience. Lonely goathered or whatever your name is - how are you finding it ? What are your symptoms?
    I hate it. I've basically lost all ability to function and my independence Symptoms are:

- Hallucinations (auditory, visual and tactile)
    - Extreme paranoia
    - Suicidal thoughts/attempts
    - Agoraphobia and claustrophobia
    - Delusions (thinking my uni tutor was trying to kill me)
    - Everything looking extra-3D when I go outside and as if buildings are about to fall on me
    - Low concentration and mood
    - Reliving stuff from last year
    - Sensitivity to sensory stimulation
    - Voices

Think those are the main ones :sadnod:

I hate it. I've basically lost all ability to function and my independence Symptoms are:

- Hallucinations (auditory, visual and tactile)
    - Extreme paranoia
    - Suicidal thoughts/attempts
    - Agoraphobia and claustrophobia
    - Delusions (thinking my uni tutor was trying to kill me)
    - Everything looking extra-3D when I go outside and as if buildings are about to fall on me
    - Low concentration and mood
    - Reliving stuff from last year
    - Sensitivity to sensory stimulation
    - Voices

Think those are the main ones :sadnod:
    Is that not schizophrenia? Also if you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by 15 weeks of episode? does it last permanently for that length of time? And what nationality are you? White british? xx

ReputationRep:
    I've had depression for 9 months, and I have slight OCD.
    The OCD makes me panicky and the depression means I've isolated myself from people I know

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.