Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    That's not really management stuff, though, that's necessary to be able to understand why you order one test over another, and why one disease should figure far more highly in your differential than another.
    I know, and I agree that some of it is important, I didn't mention any managerial stuff as I haven't been taught any yet, but I imagine some would come in (hopefully to the expense of some of the perhaps 'less relevant' areas of the fields I mentioned - however I must say I am quite naive on their use only being a first year) when the NHS changes take place.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    So everyone in the uni is finishing their exams in the next few days. I've got another 2 weeks before mine start. Hmph.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    I know, and I agree that some of it is important, I didn't mention any managerial stuff as I haven't been taught any yet, but I imagine some would come in (hopefully to the expense of some of the perhaps 'less relevant' areas of the fields I mentioned - however I must say I am quite naive on their use only being a first year) when the NHS changes take place.
    Dunno about managerial stuff - but trust me - the boring stuff in pre-clin with journals and shizzle, you'll definitely appreciate in BSc year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    ooo whats it for?

As for advice how long have you got before the application?
    It's an exchange program with TMDU to conduct the final 10 weeks of your 4th year research project in Tokyo. 10 are chosen for interviews based on 1st and 2nd year marks, and only 4 are chosen.

Application deadline is March 1 - I'm already trying to search out as much volunteer research as possible, setting up a teaching group, doing my own research etc.

Can't really think of anything else, short of mastering Hiragana, that I could do relating to academic medicine in Tokyo?

I'm confident with my grades and EC, but I've been a bit of a tit throughout medical school and thus my record doesn't exactly scream international Imperial representative... so I'm prepared to work solidly on my CV for the next month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    Exactly, it's a joke. I'm looking at a table on a lecture slide, it's stuff like 'MSSA: Use flucloxacillin or clindamycin. Alternatively, glycopeptides, linezolid or doxycycline'. I'm effectively just learning long words. I don't really want to give myself extra work, but if it will make it easier...
    You won't really be tested on those drugs. From what I remember from first year semester 1 the only real pharmacology is all the NMJ stuff e.g vecuronium, suxamethonium, neostigmine etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    It's an exchange program with TMDU to conduct the final 10 weeks of your 4th year research project in Tokyo. 10 are chosen for interviews based on 1st and 2nd year marks, and only 4 are chosen.

Application deadline is March 1 - I'm already trying to search out as much volunteer research as possible, setting up a teaching group, doing my own research etc.

Can't really think of anything else, short of mastering Hiragana, that I could do relating to academic medicine in Tokyo?

I'm confident with my grades and EC, but I've been a bit of a tit throughout medical school and thus my record doesn't exactly scream international Imperial representative... so I'm prepared to work solidly on my CV for the next month.
    Lol what have you done to make your record less than squeaky clean?

The only problem I have is the ability to find and fall through almost every crack in the system (sometimes intentionally, other not). I don't even have a personal tutor anymore.

That sounds awesome though, bit late for UROP but then so am I seeing as I didn't get what I wanted and then wasn't in the mood to apply for just ANY group...So I am going to spend some of the summer teaching probably (then maybe some phlebing I haven't decided)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Placement and logbooks has really helped with me learning the different classes of various drugs - it seemed to be something that everyone in my PBL group knew and I didn't. And I was especially proud to know why someone who'd had a stroke was put on clopidogrel rather than aspirin and (the other one I can't remember - dopy something?)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Phryx)
    You won't really be tested on those drugs. From what I remember from first year semester 1 the only real pharmacology is all the NMJ stuff e.g vecuronium, suxamethonium, neostigmine etc.
    I've written 'must know' next to the table, but I hope you're right. I'm scared (this is when you tell me that the exams are easy and you're virtually guaranteed a pass if you do a bit of work :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Placement and logbooks has really helped with me learning the different classes of various drugs - it seemed to be something that everyone in my PBL group knew and I didn't. And I was especially proud to know why someone who'd had a stroke was put on clopidogrel rather than aspirin and (the other one I can't remember - dopy something?)
    dipyridamole?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Helenia)
    dipyridamole?
    That could quite possibly be it :yep: Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    x
    That's a lot of routines to learn! All the best with the London marathon prep too.

Your SSC sounds fun. It certainly beats writing 5000+ words on the diagnostic issues surrounding FASD and its implications on its epidemiology. That wasn't fun. I start my next SSC in a few weeks time...along with a 4000 word family study.

I don't think I'll be able to make it to Tiger next week. I'm on study leave at the mo so it's probably not a good idea considering how much left I need to do. What are you doing on the Feb 9th? I'll be out then and every night after until the Sunday before semester 4 starts! :p:

Edit: Just received an e-mail notification from King's about my application. I'll hear a decision by March 4th at the latest. :headfire:

ReputationRep:
    Refworks is doing my nut, so very slow and so very confusing. Anyone feel like giving me some hints? Especially with regards to using it alongside a Word document.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    Edit: Just received an e-mail notification from King's about my application. I'll hear a decision by March 4th at the latest. :headfire:
    Good choice on the King's front :P

If I decide to intercalate (unlikely), neuroscience will be the one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    Anyone know any good mindmapping freeware? All the torrents of imindmap I can find are evaluation only copies, which is pants because now I've had a play with it, I like it. I don't want it to stop working in 8 days I like the pretty colours.... However, I don't like it enough to pay £50 for it.
    FreeMind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Refworks is doing my nut, so very slow and so very confusing. Anyone feel like giving me some hints? Especially with regards to using it alongside a Word document.
    Reference Manager is much easier. You can probs get it from uni, or download a trial copy - it only allows you to open the software 20 times so just keep it open and hibernate computer.

ReputationRep:
    What is the reason(s)?

In other knowledge related news, theres apparently a drug interaction between Ciprofloxacin and Wafarin. Thank you Grand Round...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    What is the reason(s)?

In other knowledge related news, theres apparently a drug interaction between Ciprofloxacin and Wafarin. Thank you Grand Round...
    "AO DEVICES" is a mnemonic for drugs that increasing warfarin activity. Cipro is the C (along with Cimetidine).

Unhelpfully, there is also a "C" in the mnemonic for drugs that decrease warfarin activity ("PC BRAS"), but you can't have everything.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wangers)
    What is the reason(s)?

She'd had PMH of gastric ulcers, and we all know aspirins effect on the GI tract, hence the need for PPIs

ReputationRep:
    She'd had PMH of gastric ulcers, and we all know aspirins effect on the GI tract, hence the need for PPIs
    If that's the reasoning - I'd rather geekily like to link you to this article.
    :cool:
    http://icvts.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/...t/full/6/4/534
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    If that's the reasoning - I'd rather geekily like to link you to this article.
    :cool:
    http://icvts.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/...t/full/6/4/534
    And because I refuse to accept that I'm wrong - this patient had a stroke, not cardiac surgery :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.