Football forum changes. Add your suggestions. Watch

Mastermind`
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Boner in joggers)
What's the issue with sulia links?
It's similar to providing referral links/codes to websites as there is a monetary benefit. In a forum like this where transfer muppetary is king, imagine how crazy the sulia spammers would go! It's just asking for trouble.

(Original post by Mess.)
What are sulia links?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Most prominent way I've seen them used is when journalists/those with large followingings post short stories/transfer rumours on twitter. Apparently you get paid 5p per every click, or something like that!
hbk4894
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i have seen this feature on other forums and think it might be a good one on this one , which could a sub board called Football Ground Guide where people posts reviews about football grounds and talk to other football fans about different grounds.
ahq
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hbk4894)
i have seen this feature on other forums and think it might be a good one on this one , which could a sub board called Football Ground Guide where people posts reviews about football grounds and talk to other football fans about different grounds.
I don't think an entire sub-forum for it would be justified, but a thread might work nicely. What do you think? I realize it would work differently that way without dedicated threads for each ground, but I don't think there would be enough scope for discussion to justify a sub-forum, personally. :no:
hbk4894
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Abiraleft)
I don't think an entire sub-forum for it would be justified, but a thread might work nicely. What do you think? I realize it would work differently that way without dedicated threads for each ground, but I don't think there would be enough scope for discussion to justify a sub-forum, personally. :no:
yeah that sounds like a good idea, a thread would be good.
hbk4894
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
should i create a thread then?
ahq
Report 6 years ago
Yup, feel free to. Tell me if you need any help with anything.
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'll get involved with that too, I tend to get to a few away grounds a season and I've decided to try and "do the 92" so I'll be visiting all of the football league's more obscure grounds eventually.

You could update the first post of the thread with like an A-Z list and hyperlink the individual post URL when someone writes a new review.
hbk4894
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
just started the thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post39845145
ahq
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
I'll get involved with that too, I tend to get to a few away grounds a season and I've decided to try and "do the 92" so I'll be visiting all of the football league's more obscure grounds eventually.

You could update the first post of the thread with like an A-Z list and hyperlink the individual post URL when someone writes a new review.
I think that's a great idea, thanks!

What do you think about the above suggestion?
hbk4894
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think that's a great idea, thanks!

What do you think about the above suggestion?
yeah that sounds good , i dont know how to link posts though?
ahq
Report 6 years ago
yeah that sounds good , i dont know how to link posts though?
If you click on the post number at the top right of the post (for example, this one is 631), it will take you to the same page but straight to that post: that's the address you want. (Alternatively, you could right click the number, choose 'Copy Link Location' and use that.)

Also, just to put it out there, if you want to shoulder the burden of keeping the OP updated and stuff, that's fine, but if you want, I'd be happy to step in at any time and take responsibility for the OP. It's up to you.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
x

(Original post by Mastermind`)
x
Are you guys going to continue with the seperate thread for spanish and italian league? Don't know what other people's opinions are, but I haven't really warmed up to it.
Stramala
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 419)
Are you guys going to continue with the seperate thread for spanish and italian league? Don't know what other people's opinions are, but I haven't really warmed up to it.
I may not have been here for long, but...really? What is the point of that? I have absolutely zero interest in La Liga, I don't want to go to the Italian football thread only to find a bunch of people talking about Barca and Real.

I think it's a silly idea to merge them together, they are called topics, and Spanish and Italian football are two different topics altogether. Things should stay as they are regardless of post count.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stramala)
I may not have been here for long, but...really? What is the point of that? I have absolutely zero interest in La Liga, I don't want to go to the Italian football thread only to find a bunch of people talking about Barca and Real.

I think it's a silly idea to merge them together, they are called topics, and Spanish and Italian football are two different topics altogether. Things should stay as they are regardless of post count.
It wasn't a place just for discussing spanish and italian league, it was basically for discussing everything non-english football related. It really worked well and was/is very popular. I've found myself inadvertently neglecting it since the creation of the seperate thread for the spanish and italian league. Like I said, this might just be limited to myself.
Mastermind`
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 419)
Would be interested to hear other's thoughts on this. Personally, I think it's worked well. With the forum getting bigger all the time and them two being two of the more popular leagues on here I think it's the way to go. And of course there's still the more general European/World football thread!
ahq
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 419)
I'd echo what MM`'s said, but thanks very much for bringing this up - we'll have to get more feedback. :yep:
ahq
Report 6 years ago
Right, so it's been roughly seven months since the Italian and Spanish Football threads were created and relevant discussion diverted from the European/World Football Thread. We're interested in hearing how people have reacted to the change and what they think of it so that we can decide on how best to go forward. If you have a little time to spare (I know people are especially busy at this time of the year) we'd be very grateful if you could give a little feedback!

To recap, the Italian and Spanish Football threads were created at the start of this season with the intention of trying to expand the scope of discussion regarding European and World football on TSR. Previously, the European/World Football Thread had catered to all such discussion, but there were some complaints from members who felt that the sheer amount of discussion on the Spanish and Italian leagues was stifling the discussion of all other leagues. Thus, the thread-split was executed in the hope that discussion would expand and space be created for new discussion.

- What are your thoughts on the current arrangement of having separate threads for Spanish and Italian football? Would you rather they went back into the general European/World Football thread?

- How has your activity been affected by the thread split? What change do you think a re-merger would have on your activity?

- What (if any) changes have you noticed in terms of the scope of discussion since the changes? Do you think there has been more or less discussion overall?

- What (if any) changes have you noticed in terms of the quality of discussion since the changes?

- Do you have any suggestions of changes that you feel would enhance discussion of world football on TSR and improve your experience of it?

The above is purely a basic directional guide: you don't have to answer in that format at all (you can if you want to or find it easier) and you don't have to address all of the questions there; they're basically the key points we're interested in. If you have more to add, that's brilliant; if you only want to answer some of the points because you feel they're more relevant to you, that's more than fine. Also, don't worry about the length - if you've got a lot to say, we're happy to go through it to see what you think; if you have only a couple of lines of thought you'd like to put forward, that's still feedback we'd love to see.

Quoting some of the more regular posters in the relevant threads for attention, but we obviously want as many responses as possible. I'll be going stats-hunting later.

(Original post by Mastermind`)
QFA

As always, if you have any questions or comments, let me or Mastermind` know. :cute:
Stu Laverty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

- What are your thoughts on the current arrangement of having separate threads for Spanish and Italian football? Would you rather they went back into the general European/World Football thread?
I like it a lot better this way. Thankfully there's still enough activity in the European/World thread to keep it going as we have people (2 in particular who have very fascinating conversations) talking about the Portugese, German and occasionally other leagues like the Dutch and Brazilian.

- How has your activity been affected by the thread split? What change do you think a re-merger would have on your activity?
Well my activity has been pretty low generally due to work so I only really get enough time to read them, but I don't think it's affected my activity either way.

- What (if any) changes have you noticed in terms of the scope of discussion since the changes? Do you think there has been more or less discussion overall?

- What (if any) changes have you noticed in terms of the quality of discussion since the changes?
Discussion is good, very good at times. I get the feeling that the split has meant that people aren't just coming into one thread and saying "Messi :coma:", instead people have got specific threads where they can discuss specific leagues and competitions.

- Do you have any suggestions of changes that you feel would enhance discussion of world football on TSR and improve your experience of it?

Not really, outside of banning every thread that talks about Messi/Ronaldo/Zidane

I think more of an effort could be made to encourage match day threads. We sometimes get weeks at a time without any, and, for example, even England vs San Marino had a decent amount of discussion in the Ultimate England thread. I'd quite like to see a dedicated Saturday football thread, perhaps, if there's lots of 3pm games. Plus this helps get discussion away from the clique-ness (if that makes sense at all) of the club-specific threads like the Arsenal or Manchester United threads [although we definitely shouldn't discourage non-Arsenal fans, for example, from talking in the Arsenal thread].
Deshi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Personally, I preferred it with one thread. There used to always be interesting discussions going on when there was one, it kept the thread busy and constantly bumped. Now I go onto the Spanish thread for example and the majority of the time it'll just be people watching Barcelona or Madrid every now and then and commenting when there's a goal. There's just not much about it in my opinion. So the opposite of what Stu thinks :p:

And I don't use it much, but I won't blame that on the thread split it's just more to do with the fact that I don't watch much European football these days due to lack of time. All you have to do though is check out how much posters are posting on each thread. For example, in the Italian thread only 5 people have posted more than 30 times. In the Spanish football thread a majority of the posts are by 3/4 people.

(Personally, I think my opinion should be down the pecking order as I don't use any of the European football threads much anymore)
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I like it this way, whilst there's not many people posting in each thread its much easier to follow now then everything else being in one thread making it a little clustered.

I find myself drifting between all the other club threads to just chat with some of the others. I actually think its been more enjoyable for me this way since i can discuss about other clubs and leagues.

Think theres been around the same amount.

I think whilst there's less posters, the actual content of discussion is way better now. Italian thread there's some real good discussion going on in there in depth. In the other European one we have two posters who regularly talk there about the Portuguese league and its really very in depth. Spanish one feels a little quieter then the others with only me and CB, KingMessi consistently talking there but then again I don't mind. Gives me somewhere to talk about it without feeling like I'm annoying others constantly posting about Barcelona. So yeah I do feel the quality has actually gone up if anything.

-Permanently ban that nutter who keeps posting about Zidane...
-More Match day threads would be nice as Stu said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise