Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* watch

ReputationRep:
    so how are people revising???

ryan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simranmehra6)
    he came up in the 2011 paper so he might come up again, about how he represents other people in society etc.
    Oh okay,yeah he might but I haven't seen any characters come up twice so far.

ReputationRep:
    Sunlight on the grass
    Of Mice and men
    Moon on the tides - relationships

ReputationRep:
    Anybody have a list of the poems which have come up in relationships higher - and ones which 100% won't appear? (AQA have a list of some which won't)

ReputationRep:
    Im taking the exam on the 20th- Of Mice and Men & An Inspector Calls; anyone has any ideas on who will come up?

ReputationRep:
    for of mice and men , should i listen to the audio book
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqjG-fk5q9Q
    or watch the film
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST5eRRweNHo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simranmehra6)
    he came up in the 2011 paper so he might come up again, about how he represents other people in society etc.
    I hope that comes up, cause I've got tonnes of stuff to write about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack97)
    thanks, have you got any notes on slim?

**If anyone knows whats likely to come up for conflict or WIB please reply!
    Some words to describe Slim:

Friendly
    Welcoming (Bear in mind that he was one of only a a few men on the ranch that welcomed George and Lennie)
    Considerate
    Warm

Slim is passive, practical and logical. He is thinks carefully.

George speak to Slim, but Slim doesn't reply (shows he is passive)

*Steinbeck uses simple sentence structures* Perhaps you could infer something from that, I dunno what though :/

Slim is trustworthy; seen when George asks Slim if he will tell anyone the secrets about George and Lennie, then George actually answers this question ("You wouldn' tell?...No, 'course you wouldn'" PAGE 44)

Slim has earned respect on the ranch. He is clearly a respected member (link to context: some people at the time were respected, though a majority were not)

One more quote for you: "Instantly the table was brilliant with light". This happens when Slim enters, implying that he is is positive and brings intimacy both in atmosphere and relationship (relationship because of his conversation with George).

Page 36: Slim is described as "Prince", which gives him a majestic value, supporting the idea that he has earned respect.

Slim wore a "crushed stetson hat"- shows he is humble, despite being respected so much.

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gloria0816)
    for of mice and men , should i listen to the audio book
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqjG-fk5q9Q
    or watch the film
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST5eRRweNHo
    Film

ReputationRep:
    Lennie could come up! I hope he does. Or George because they've only ever had a question together I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalia_14)
    Oh okay,yeah he might but I haven't seen any characters come up twice so far.
    Well that's what my teachers guessing, e.g '' How do you think Steinbeck uses the character of Candy in the novel as a whole to convey important ideas about society at that time''

For Section B - there's always going to be a question linking to how life was like in America
    You always have to link back to the Great Depression and what Steinbeck's intentions were.

The theme can be one of the following: Friendship, Isolation, Loneliness, The working Man, Racism/ Prejudice and discrimination, Dreams.

Btw Steinbeck bases the Character of Lennie on a real person he met once- so mention that.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got some good A/A* points to make for Of mice and men & an inspector calls?
    For instance, the user above mentioned the fact that Steinbeck based the character Lennie of a real person he met

It would be brilliant if we could gather all these good "points" together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N Kay)
    For anyone doing the IGCSE English paper, are the extracts from 'Veronica' and 'The Necklace' in the language or literature exam?

Posted from The Student's Room iPhone/iPad App
    Both of them are neither in the language or the literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack59)
    Anyone got any idea of what section B may be for Curley/Slim?

I fail to see how Slim can link into section B as much as some characters, he isn't exactly lonely, violent, etc.
    @jack97 [some things here, I forgot to include in my reply to your questions, you may want to read]

Slim is not violent or lonely as you say, but he is respected, mature and has a remarkable amount of mental capacity. He is described as "Prince", implying that he has majestic values. However came in wearing a "crushed stetson hat", connoting that, although he has so much earned respect, he remains humble.

Other Ideas:

Slim is passive, logical, practical and trustworthy. Also humble.

You could write about how there were few of these people in the society. So, you would looking more at 'a lack of', rather than saying how he is similar to society. However, there had to be some respected members of society and they may not have been humble (as Slim is in the novel).

Steinbeck may, therefore, be hinting an ideology and trying to show how society should have been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    so how are people revising???

ryan
    Answering questions under timed conditions
    Reading through class notes
    Revising the plot
    Making sheets that explore characters and themes

How are you revising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Has anybody got some good A/A* points to make for Of mice and men & an inspector calls?
    For instance, the user above mentioned the fact that Steinbeck based the character Lennie of a real person he met

-You could say that the novel is a microcosm of American Society.
    -Robert Burns poem indicates that the American Dream never happens. As it is only a 'dream' not reality.
    -Also the fact that Steinbeck uses so much descriptive language features when he describes Lennie is because has met a person like the character of Lennie.
    - talk about the marginalised characters e.g. Crooks, Curley's wife, Lennie and Candy.
    - Also the fact that in the beginning of chapter four Steinbeck says how Crooks' rubbing his back with ointment/oil , in which he does at the end as well portrays that things don't change. Nothing changes, everything remains the same way as it was before.

ReputationRep:

Not being arrogant, but you may want to look at my reply to Jack59 and Jack97 on this page (page 32 i think) of the thread

ReputationRep:

I have a point about Inspector Goole: The Inspector is the metaphor for the First and Second World War, for instance before he arrives the atmosphere within the Birling household is relaxed yet full of tension (e.g. relationship between Eric and his father, Sheila suspicious of Gerald), similar to how the alliances were full of tension before the inception of WW1. Once the Inspector arrives, this tension is released and the family begins to fall apart (much like how Britain and the allies began to fall apart due to the war). After the Inspector leaves, the Birling parents and Gerald fail to learn from what has happened, which reflects the national mood after WW1, and because of this (the timing of the final call is sound to Mr Birling's mockery of the Inspector and the younger generation) they pay for it in 'fire and blood and anguish (obviously foreshadows WW1 and WW2) with the call signifying the Inspector's second arrival.

btw Eva Smith may be a possible religious reference to 'Eve' from the Old Testament of the Bible, which is symbolic for how she represents women and the working class as a whole. The name may also be a reference to Eva Braun (Hitler's wife and partner) as the cause of death for both is similar.

For Slim of OMAM: Slim is presented by the author to be his own example of ideal human behaviour, for instance he treats Crooks with respect despite the strong presence of racial prejudice within the era, and is the first to comfort George after Lennie's death - "you hadda George, I swear you hadda".

I have more but can't be bothered :/

ReputationRep:
    Anyone need any help on Of Mice and Men? I did it in year10 & year11

ReputationRep:
    notes for slim

'prince of ranch'
    sveryone respects him
    care and considerate
    wise
    trustworthy
    helps lennie after breaking curley's hand (ch3)
    only one who can order curley around
    comforts people who are losing things
    strong sense of right and wrong
    mysterious past? - we don't know about his past
    call crooks by his name not ******
    example of justice
    jerkline skinner
    no problem?
    good ranch worker
    has the best solutions
    only one who understand gerorge and lennie relationship
    1st impression (ch2)
    spiritual leader
    has authority
    sypathetic
    different from others
    not violent
    not lonely
    tells carlson to shoot candy's dog - as the old is old and is suffering

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.