Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    And you guys were the 4th best team in your league last season. Therefore I do not agree that you deserve to be in the "champions" league.
    Out of curiosity do you believe you got "spanked" by Villa?
    The Champions League stopped being just for champions a long time ago. Not sure why Arsenal wouldn't deserve to be in the CL seeing they qualified within the rules of the tournament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boumavilla)
    I enjoy reading your Eredivisie updates. This league and the French league are probably the two leagues i don't follow in as much detail as the Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, German and Brazilian leagues so your little updates help to keep an eye on what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    I enjoy reading your Eredivisie updates. This league and the French league are probably the two leagues i don't follow in as much detail as the Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, German and Brazilian leagues so your little updates help to keep an eye on what's going on.
    And I enjoy reading people's feedback, so I know they're not going unnoticed!
    I read the Portuguese updates sometimes, but I know that if I try to get too involved in a league, then I'll end up being sucked in like I did with the Eredivisie and end up with less time for other things. :mmm:

The Dutch league is highly entertaining though, because you get the quality from the players that will be the stars of the future (Eriksen, Bakkali and Clasie), then you get the absolute comedy of the league that makes it hugely entertaining! (the fire at the stadium, an ex-Bradford defender being a side's saviour for the season (Marcel Seip at VVV last season :mmm:) and George Zeefuik who is too fat to play football :rofl:)

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    X
    Memphis Depay and Viktor Fischer are my favourite talents currently in the Eredivisie.

Happy in a way that Eriksen is gone as it means Fischer will have a bigger role to play for Ajax. Looks very promising, and had a great season last year.

Lot of good young players in the Eredivisie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Memphis Depay and Viktor Fischer are my favourite talents currently in the Eredivisie.

Happy in a way that Eriksen is gone as it means Fischer will have a bigger role to play for Ajax. Looks very promising, and had a great season last year.

Thing is with Depay, he's a little bit like Adel Taarabt, ball hogger, rarely passes the ball and shoots on sight. He needs to grow the maturity that Taarabt never has in order to become a success. I actually think Bakkali is a better talent, even after seeing so little of him at this stage.

Fischer is a great talent, but he has great games and bad games, so far he's yet to have a good game, although he has scored. He is still very young though so he can become excellent given time! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    So a draw in the big derby.. exactly what suited Porto the most. Three matches gone and Porto will already be 2 points clear at the top. As for the match, Sporting were impressive. They dominated for large parts of the game and we were probably a bit lucky to have got a draw... I'd like to see a bunch of their players get a chance for the National Team tbh. Adrien was great and the trio of Adrien/Andre Martins/William Carvalho looks like a potential answer to our midfield problems.

As for Benfica. The three injuries, and forced substitutions, really ruined the tactics game for JJ so there wasn't much he could have done. Sounded like Salvio might be out for a long time, and Gaitan also :/

One thing that I'm not liking atm is seeing Rodrigo play so much. I did not expect us to start with two strikers (although I'm sure JJ had some plan in terms of substitutions during the game), and today we were being overrun in midfield and it was obvious we were missing a link between the striker and midfield, i.e. Djuricic should have been playing instead of Rodrigo.

Kinda glad that Enzo got injured.. he hasn't been good at all lately and Ruben Amorim actually helped a lot in controlling Sporting's midfield. I'm starting to see his merits, he's a useful player to have. Might be a good chance to see what Fejsa can do as well.

Cortez and Maxi, once again though, are just not good enough. Maxi was lucky to not have been sent off. Cortez doesn't make you believe that he ever has a situation under control... he's
    always stumbling along, always nervous with the ball at his feet which cause bad passes..

Unfortunately Silvio is injured, otherwise I'd have liked to seen him play in one of the positions.

Interesting that Cardozo is back now... he didn't really get the chance to do much though, IMO we would've been better off having Djuricic in there to create some stuff or just to hold up the ball, but still, Cardozo at least provided something for their defenders to worry about.

Finally though, I have to mention Lazar Markovic. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, what a player. and what a goal... he's the sort of player that you just know is bound to have an impact on a match. Something always happens when he gets the ball and takes it forward. I can't believe he's only 19 and is already almost carrying Benfica. He has some serious potential.

And he had made a similar run just 10-15 minutes earlie and Patricio saved it on the 1-on-1, so it wasn't even like he got lucky to run through Sporting's defence.

I really doubt we'll have him much longer. And I still get the feeling that he's actually owned by Chelsea and is just on loan for a season or two with us... the Partizan manager or president (can't remember which) had mentioned that Chelsea had signed him and was being loaned to us before we ended up saying he had signed a 5-year contract.

ReputationRep:
    I follow the French league, maybe I should start posting about it on here :beard:

(Original post by Tweek)

Alfreð Finnbogason is my favourite by far. Simply for the name and how it sounds when the commentators say it :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    www.whatbaleearns.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the current domain for that cheap football shirt site. Can remember some people on here raving about it aaaages ago.

Think it used to be bestway4you then footballkitstore (or something similar) but have no trace of it ever since!

Some amazing kits out this season, wouldn't mind picking up a couple.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    So a draw in the big derby.. exactly what suited Porto the most. Three matches gone and Porto will already be 2 points clear at the top. As for the match, Sporting were impressive. They dominated for large parts of the game and we were probably a bit lucky to have got a draw... I'd like to see a bunch of their players get a chance for the National Team tbh. Adrien was great and the trio of Adrien/Andre Martins/William Carvalho looks like a potential answer to our midfield problems.

As for Benfica. The three injuries, and forced substitutions, really ruined the tactics game for JJ so there wasn't much he could have done. Sounded like Salvio might be out for a long time, and Gaitan also :/

One thing that I'm not liking atm is seeing Rodrigo play so much. I did not expect us to start with two strikers (although I'm sure JJ had some plan in terms of substitutions during the game), and today we were being overrun in midfield and it was obvious we were missing a link between the striker and midfield, i.e. Djuricic should have been playing instead of Rodrigo.

Kinda glad that Enzo got injured.. he hasn't been good at all lately and Ruben Amorim actually helped a lot in controlling Sporting's midfield. I'm starting to see his merits, he's a useful player to have. Might be a good chance to see what Fejsa can do as well.

Cortez and Maxi, once again though, are just not good enough. Maxi was lucky to not have been sent off. Cortez doesn't make you believe that he ever has a situation under control... he's
    always stumbling along, always nervous with the ball at his feet which cause bad passes..

Unfortunately Silvio is injured, otherwise I'd have liked to seen him play in one of the positions.

Interesting that Cardozo is back now... he didn't really get the chance to do much though, IMO we would've been better off having Djuricic in there to create some stuff or just to hold up the ball, but still, Cardozo at least provided something for their defenders to worry about.

Finally though, I have to mention Lazar Markovic. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, what a player. and what a goal... he's the sort of player that you just know is bound to have an impact on a match. Something always happens when he gets the ball and takes it forward. I can't believe he's only 19 and is already almost carrying Benfica. He has some serious potential.

And he had made a similar run just 10-15 minutes earlie and Patricio saved it on the 1-on-1, so it wasn't even like he got lucky to run through Sporting's defence.

I really doubt we'll have him much longer. And I still get the feeling that he's actually owned by Chelsea and is just on loan for a season or two with us... the Partizan manager or president (can't remember which) had mentioned that Chelsea had signed him and was being loaned to us before we ended up saying he had signed a 5-year contract.
    Yeah, I can't complain about it ending as a draw as we're 2 points clear at the top and 5 points clear from you lot. But yeah, Sporting were great and perhaps could have got all three points in that game. Salvio out for 6 months, huge blow and a shame too.

Garay stayed then! Surprised but he’s still there. After it all went hush-hush it seemed like he’d be going nowhere. Cardozo stayed too despite everything. Maybe, just maybe Siqueira will be the answer to your troublesome LB problems. Since Fab left it’s been difficult to find a suitable replacement in that position. Possibly you’ve found it, we’ll see!

Yeah, I’ve become slightly jealous when I see Markovic play for you, he has been a cracking signing, as too Montero at Sporting.

I like Sporting because a lot of the youngsters they have are Portuguese and they are all getting a good chance of first team football. Ilori gone as too Bruma but even without them Sporting have a lot of promising youngsters who could make into our national team.

A big game for Portugal tomorrow night in N.Ireland. Some changes have had to be made due to a few dropping out but for once I feel they have been replaced with players who perhaps could have been called up in the first place anyway. Nélson Oliveira for Hugo Almeida - Nélson currently with 3 goals in 3 games at the moment, started off perfectly for him at Rennes. Licá in for Danny - It’s a shame to see Danny drop out but Licá has been a key player in Portos opening games and another who has seen the season start very well for him, and then Adrien in for Ruben Micael – and as you pointed out Adrien has started off great for Sporting this season too. It’ll be an interesting game though.

ReputationRep:
    Lol Ramos putting his hands up for offside even though he kept Vargas on comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is with Depay, he's a little bit like Adel Taarabt, ball hogger, rarely passes the ball and shoots on sight. He needs to grow the maturity that Taarabt never has in order to become a success. I actually think Bakkali is a better talent, even after seeing so little of him at this stage.
    You are absolutely right about Depay and Bakkali. Zakaria is only 17 years old, but he made such an impressive impression in his first senior games. Been following this little fella for the past two years, and at senior level he's doing exactly the same thing as in the youth teams. Make some dribbles, cut inside from the left and shoot in the far angle with his right foot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathijs)
    You are absolutely right about Depay and Bakkali. Zakaria is only 17 years old, but he made such an impressive impression in his first senior games. Been following this little fella for the past two years, and at senior level he's doing exactly the same thing as in the youth teams. Make some dribbles, cut inside from the left and shoot in the far angle with his right foot.
    Ahhh you found it.
    That's what I find cool about most Dutch football fans is that they know about all of their youth players, even from such a young age. Whereas here everyone is confused when they see a different name on the teamsheet. :lol:

How do you fancy your chances in winning the Eredivisie this season? And do you think PSV will take the Europa League seriously? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    How do you fancy your chances in winning the Eredivisie this season? And do you think PSV will take the Europa League seriously? :beard:
    Think we'll finish in the top-two. Think we've got one of the best squads with Ajax. Our chances of winning the league are bigger since Ajax lost two of there key players on the last days of the transfermarket (Alderweireld and Eriksen). Feyenoord (young players, small squad), FC Twente (also very young squad and an inexperienced manager) and Vitesse (954834538 players from Chelsea and lost there key players (Bony & Van Ginkel) are to weak in comparison to Ajax and PSV.

We've got some quality centre backs, for the Eredivisie (Rekik & Bruma) and a decent goalkeeper (Zoet). Midfield is alright, but I expect more from Wijnaldum and Maher. Schaars in fact is a quality midfielder, hence his selection for the national squad. In the front we've got some strong (Depay), pacey (Jozefzoon), experienced (Park) players. Locadia and Matavz are good finishers, but have to have more confidence. Also, don't forget Narsingh (before his injury, he was in our national team line-up) will be back in a month or so.

Our weak spots are definitely the full backs (Brenet, Willems, Arias, Manolev). They are all very pour defensively. Also our squad is very young, the average age is around the 21.

Ofcourse we'll take the Europa League serious. We are the second best team ever in the Europa League, only Atletico Madrid did it better. It's very important to collect some UEFA coefficients so we will not lose our second CL (qualifier) place.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parma_F.C.#Out_on_loan

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathijs)
    Think we'll finish in the top-two. Think we've got one of the best squads with Ajax. Our chances of winning the league are bigger since Ajax lost two of there key players on the last days of the transfermarket (Alderweireld and Eriksen). Feyenoord (young players, small squad), FC Twente (also very young squad and an inexperienced manager) and Vitesse (954834538 players from Chelsea and lost there key players (Bony & Van Ginkel) are to weak in comparison to Ajax and PSV.

We've got some quality centre backs, for the Eredivisie (Rekik & Bruma) and a decent goalkeeper (Zoet). Midfield is alright, but I expect more from Wijnaldum and Maher. Schaars in fact is a quality midfielder, hence his selection for the national squad. In the front we've got some strong (Depay), pacey (Jozefzoon), experienced (Park) players. Locadia and Matavz are good finishers, but have to have more confidence. Also, don't forget Narsingh (before his injury, he was in our national team line-up) will be back in a month or so.

Our weak spots are definitely the full backs (Brenet, Willems, Arias, Manolev). They are all very pour defensively. Also our squad is very young, the average age is around the 21.

Ofcourse we'll take the Europa League serious. We are the second best team ever in the Europa League, only Atletico Madrid did it better. It's very important to collect some UEFA coefficients so we will not lose our second CL (qualifier) place.
    I still think Ajax have too much experience in the coaching department to overcome their squad issues. Bojan has started poorly, along with defensive problems too, especially Vermeer. :facepalm:
    I think Koeman has lost the plot at Feyenoord, the squad is not competing to its full ability. I actually think AZ are a bigger threat to the top two, but their problem is a lack of consistency. It is nice to see them in Europe though. (What a crazy match that was against Atromitos!!)

Maher has made a good start IMO, but Wijnaldum has more to offer, he can be wasteful up front but he has been a good leader for the team so far this season in the absence of MVB.
    I like Matavz, possibly the best striker in the league now that Bony and Altidore have left, an experienced finisher (even at 24!). I think Narsingh coming back can only inject more goals into the team, even if he is providing them.

Agree there, the Europa League can help improve the coefficient. Not only of PSV but also for the Netherlands, the league coefficient needs a boost after last season. What do you make of your Europa League group? :beard: A lot of travelling it seems...
    Wonder if Cocu and the players will think about the coefficient though? I thinkyou should try to go as deep into the competition as possible. Admittedly it becomes very difficult after the group stage, but a lot of Champions League quality drops down after Christmas which makes for good preparation and experience to the young players.

:woo:

I recognise some of those players too, good senior players for that level!

ReputationRep:
    Wonder if one of the Dutch teams will make a move for Luuk de Jong if he has another poor season.
    Certainly didn't go to plan in Germany last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Wonder if one of the Dutch teams will make a move for Luuk de Jong if he has another poor season.
    Certainly didn't go to plan in Germany last year.
    Indeed.
    Most Dutch players who flop in another league always come crawling back...
    With De Jong his wages may be to high, and I also think he'll want to try and settle in Germany. But as you say if he fails again to impress this season he may be shipped out. How exactly was he? I never watched him play tbh.
    Bas Dost is another one I don't think made a big impression.
    Shame because both were playing in the national squad.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed.
    Most Dutch players who flop in another league always come crawling back...
    With De Jong his wages may be to high, and I also think he'll want to try and settle in Germany. But as you say if he fails again to impress this season he may be shipped out. How exactly was he? I never watched him play tbh.
    Bas Dost is another one I don't think made a big impression.
    Shame because both were playing in the national squad.
    You could compare Luuk to Torres in a way.
    Disappointing season, so B. M'gladbach bought in another striker Max Kruse. Even before Kruse, Luuk was getting benched a bit from what I can remember, and Kruse has came in and instantly started scoring.

With Klose ageing Kruse might see this as a make or break season for him at international level. A lot of fans don't like seeing Luuk on the bench because he was expensive for them, but at the same time playing him with Kruse means one of Arango (bit of a legend for them) or Granit Xhaka (you'll have heard of him, brilliant young Swiss player) would have to drop to the bench to accommodate the two up front.

Benching Kruse is just futile as Luuk seems to lack confidence sometimes. He said in an interview he doesn't want to give up but personally I don't see it happening, not sure if he's been injured but I don't think he's started a game yet.

I don't follow B. M'Gladbach too closely, so maybe he will come good, but whenever I've seen them play, or when I'm watching the Bundesliga highlights show he's been unconvincing.

If they could sell him for a decent amount I reckon they would. Shame really, never saw him play for FC Twente but there was a lot of talk about his talent and potential.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

How is that possible? Unless they've loaned out all the youth players as well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 21, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.