Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is something that is widely known to your gender but not the other? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I find myself looking at boobs like its an instinct. I like to think girls don't notice, but do they? And what is your reaction normally, annoyed or flattered?

Also I get paranoid if girls stare at guys crotch's. do you? Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    So what you're saying is... that people who don't have money to spend on hobbies don't spend money on hobbies? What a crazy idea.
    Or people prefer to spend money on other things than hobbies so only the ones with a larger disposable income can afford to do it. For example, think how many people have put all their excess money into an expensive phone rather than a hobby.

(Original post by HmMusic)
    Seems to me like your issue isn't girls with hobbies, it is how well off parents are. Every time a girl has replied to you saying she has hobbies you jump down her throat essentially saying "Yeah well you are probably rich so you don't count" and berating them just because they may have had a different/more financially stable upbringing to your own. All it may prove is that girls from different backgrounds may like to do different things, not that girls don't have hobbies. Also just because "mummy and daddy" encouraged them to do a particular hobby doesn't mean that they are automatically no longer interested in it when they get older and would rather "chase after ****." Here is something shocking for you: girls like to have sex! What about the boys who chase after girls for sex? Do they not have hobbies or is that completely different because they are male? You make a lot of generalisations based on some people you may know at Uni. I'm sorry but it doesn't count for the rest of the female population.
    Not at all. I have found the wealthier ones far better company for that very reason. However as I said, I have also found that they are the ones doing the hobbies and that the majority of people don't do anything and their folks are less well off. Now whether that is a financial issue or simply upbringing is debatable, but nonetheless, it is still there.
    Sure, guys chase girls...but their life doesn't revolve around it. The amount of girls who undergo a complete character change in order to get a guy is absurd and stinks of only desperation. Guys don't do this as they do their hobbies out of enjoyment and interest, thus why drop them once you get a girl?
    People always argue that whole "oh but you're generalising!". True, but seeing that this is going on my experience and those of everyone I personally know, it is impossible for my view to be based on bad luck. What is most likely is that people on the net like to warp reality in defence of themselves just like many people do in real life eg. "I do *insert hobby*" actually means they attend a class maybe once a month at a push.

(Original post by Lala_1234)
    I don't know what your original statement was bit I'm assuming it was something like 'girls don't have hobbies'
    Now, you are backtracking, and admitting that really it is only girls who live in north England/Scotland who don't have hobbies.

I just wanted to say that the majority of guys I know DON'T have hobbies. Yes, they will play football together... But it's not a hobby cos they don't do it regularly or for a team, they just do it when the sun is out down the park or something.
    Many guys who do that also follow football as well, and you would be surprised how many work places do have little teams etc, plus at least it is something rather than nothing...which is where many girls lie.

99% of guys spend the majority of the time playing on their Xbox or ps3. I do not count this as a hobby.
    Why not? If they take a real interest in it, why do you not count it as a hobby? Any game played seriously is counted as a hobby (chess, poker etc), so why not computer games? I have seen many girls say they don't like them, but never back it up with a reason.

I play netball weekly, we are in a league competing against 8 other teams, there are several other teams who are above and below the standard of our league, aswell as other individuals who do not play for a certain team and just play for fun. These people are all female. Netball being their hobby.
    And where do you live? (I checked your profile, so yes, that is a rhetorical question)

I don't know if you would count the gym as a hobby either, but me and 5 of my friends go 2/3 times a week, just for general fitness; you can't say gyms are dominated by men because about half of the people I regularly see there are women, and the majority of fitness classes are filled with women and maybe the odd man.
    It may not be seen as a hobby, but atleast it is fitness an is good for you instead of sitting on your bum all day staring at a tv screen
    The gym is certainly a hobby, but every gym I have been to (and I've been to many) have all been 80% guys, so obviously you do live in a very unique area.......which you do :facepalm: So please stop trying to claim that where you live is a perfect example of the UK as you know that it could not be further from the truth. If you had said "I and everyone in my area do not act like that as we have hobbies, but yes, I live in an area which is known for being better off", then I would have taken my hat off to you.
    But to try to claim your life is common and I'm labelling every girl as some vacuous bore is utter crap.

(Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Not true. I have hobbies at uni and my friends come along and do them too, or they have hobbies of their own. Like, one of my friends is really keen on debating and another one goes to salsa classes, another does loads of first aid. Some of my friends aren't in societies but they really like playing the ukulele or drawing pictures. I keep getting distracted from my work to write poems. My problem is wanting to do too many things, actually. I'm your classic "Pick up a hobby and drop it a few years later and do something else" type. I'll find something else that interests me and start that and then they start demanding you devote more time to it so then you have to choose. I don't want to miss out on loads of things because I've devoted all my time and energy to gymnastics or something. Other people have one thing they love more than anything else and that's the only hobby they really want to do. And then some people don't necessarily shout about their hobbies all the time, but that doesn't mean they don't have them. They might really like baking, or collecting buttons. How do you know?
    So you don't really enjoy it then and use it as a time sink. Would you want to talk about those hobbies then if someone was to bring it up in conversation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cake_lover)
    I find myself looking at boobs like its an instinct. I like to think girls don't notice, but do they? And what is your reaction normally, annoyed or flattered?

Also I get paranoid if girls stare at guys crotch's. do you? Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would also like to know this + do you notice when a guy has up & tucked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Many guys who do that also follow football as well, and you would be surprised how many work places do have little teams etc, plus at least it is something rather than nothing...which is where many girls lie.
    Shocker, I do actually know that alot of work places have little teams; my brother works for Football Manager.
    I do not see following football being a hobby, because then people could say "watching tv is my hobby"
    It is hard to decide what counts as a hobby and what doesn't, but then it is surely a matter of opinion really?

Why not? If they take a real interest in it, why do you not count it as a hobby? Any game played seriously is counted as a hobby (chess, poker etc), so why not computer games? I have seen many girls say they don't like them, but never back it up with a reason.
    What is and what isn't a hobby is really an opinion, my opinion is that playing computer games is not a hobby; and if it is, then it is a terrible one.

And where do you live? (I checked your profile, so yes, that is a rhetorical question)
    You checked my profile which has absolutely no information? Hmm... Well done...
    What does it matter where I live anyway?
    Why are you trying to **** on every female that has a hobby saying that they live in a more wealthy area?

The gym is certainly a hobby, but every gym I have been to (and I've been to many) have all been 80% guys, so obviously you do live in a very unique area.......which you do :facepalm: So please stop trying to claim that where you live is a perfect example of the UK as you know that it could not be further from the truth. If you had said "I and everyone in my area do not act like that as we have hobbies, but yes, I live in an area which is known for being better off", then I would have taken my hat off to you.
    But to try to claim your life is common and I'm labelling every girl as some vacuous bore is utter crap.
    Again, where do I live sorry?
    And it is you who is generalising all females into this big group of people who do not have hobbys.
    I never at any point said that my life is as common as everyone elses; all I am trying to explain to you is that alot of females do have hobbies. You just seem to like ****ting on our gender...

Question? Are you gay? Because you seem very arrogant about your own sex, why don't you go marry your best-male-friend.

ReputationRep:

So you don't really enjoy it then and use it as a time sink. Would you want to talk about those hobbies then if someone was to bring it up in conversation?
    No, I enjoy it to start with and then I get bored with it after a while. At the moment the hobbies I'm most interested in are writing, drama and scuba diving, I could chat about those for ages. And to be honest those ones are pretty constant, I've been doing them for quite a while now and I haven't got bored with them yet. Stop making assumptions about people you don't know to make us fit your theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    You make it sounds as if guys stare so hard at boobs that they burn holes in the tops covering them. Perhaps it's just me but it's rarely obvious to me. I've noticed a couple of times for sure, that's it. I've had a couple of girls comment on me before when I was flaccid. One person thought I was hard, I wasn't. The other commented how I might poke someone's eye out because of the trousers I was wearing being tight-ish. They weren't tight, but not loose either. The problem would have been bigger if I weren't flaccid.
    Some guys do. I'm just going on my own experience, quite a few of my friends have guys staring at their boobs constantly and I used to have idiots making comments about mine which was extremely daft because they're not in any way remarkable. But I just haven't noticed women making a big deal about guys and I certainly don't see anyone staring at a guys crotch. I definitely don't. Unless you're David Bowie in Labyrinth (those trousers were far too tight, it's awkward), you don't notice as a rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielnkwocha)
    You've obviously never been/seen the one guy that gets an erection in a tracksuit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, no I haven't, I have to admit. Although I will confess I am definitely one of the more naïve people out there.

ReputationRep:
    Shocker, I do actually know that alot of work places have little teams; my brother works for Football Manager.
    I do not see following football being a hobby, because then people could say "watching tv is my hobby"
    It is hard to decide what counts as a hobby and what doesn't, but then it is surely a matter of opinion really?
    No it isn't, you are just making it hard for some reason. Playing some football and following it is a hobby. End of debate. Go get a dictionary and argue with that if you want to carry on.

What is and what isn't a hobby is really an opinion, my opinion is that playing computer games is not a hobby; and if it is, then it is a terrible one.
    ....because?
    You do have to give a reason you know :rolleyes:

You checked my profile which has absolutely no information? Hmm... Well done...
    What does it matter where I live anyway?
    Why are you trying to **** on every female that has a hobby saying that they live in a more wealthy area?
    So where do you live? Go on, enlighten everyone here as we all would love to know why you are so defensive. Is it because you know I'm right but want to argue the point anyway?

Again, where do I live sorry?
    And it is you who is generalising all females into this big group of people who do not have hobbys.
    I never at any point said that my life is as common as everyone elses; all I am trying to explain to you is that alot of females do have hobbies. You just seem to like ****ting on our gender...

Question? Are you gay? Because you seem very arrogant about your own sex, why don't you go marry your best-male-friend.
    A lot being how many of what upbringing? :rofl: I guess I should have added "diplomatic" to that list as you couldn't be doing any worse.

Oh wow, "are you gay?". I haven't heard that type of arguing since school. Maybe I should also ask about your age whilst I'm at it :teehee:

No, I enjoy it to start with and then I get bored with it after a while. At the moment the hobbies I'm most interested in are writing, drama and scuba diving, I could chat about those for ages. And to be honest those ones are pretty constant, I've been doing them for quite a while now and I haven't got bored with them yet. Stop making assumptions about people you don't know to make us fit your theory.
    Why?
    And you are fitting my theory pretty well so far and many are also coming across as terribly naive/ignorant or think that I was not generalising.

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't, you are just making it hard for some reason. Playing some football and following it is a hobby. End of debate. Go get a dictionary and argue with that if you want to carry on..

...because?
    You do have to give a reason you know :rolleyes:
    Because you are saying women do not have hobbys... Here are some females hobbies (doesnt even need to be gender specific) if you want to say that following football, or playing a computer game is a hobby:
    -Shopping is my hobby
    -Trying on clothes is my hobby
    -Styling my hair is my hobby
    -Watching TV is my hobby
    -Going on the computer is my hobby
    -Baking cakes is my hobby
    -Driving is my hobby
    -Singing is my hobby
    -Dancing is my hobby
    -Going clubbing is my hobby
    -Listening to music is my hobby
    -Hanging out with my friends is my hobby
    -Getting drunk is my hobby
    -Texting is my hobby
    -Talking is my hobby
    -Having sex is my hobby

And so on.

So where do you live? Go on, enlighten everyone here as we all would love to know why you are so defensive. Is it because you know I'm right but want to argue the point anyway?
    It is you I was asking as you told me that you know where I live...

A lot being how many of what upbringing? :rofl: I guess I should have added "diplomatic" to that list as you couldn't be doing any worse.
    Even if someone has a crap upbringing it doesn't stop them having any hobbies...

Oh wow, "are you gay?". I haven't heard that type of arguing since school. Maybe I should also ask about your age whilst I'm at it :teehee:
    If you know where I live, you must know my age too?

ReputationRep:
    Because you are saying women do not have hobbys... Here are some females hobbies (doesnt even need to be gender specific) if you want to say that following football, or playing a computer game is a hobby:
    -Shopping is my hobby
    -Trying on clothes is my hobby
    -Styling my hair is my hobby
    -Watching TV is my hobby
    -Going on the computer is my hobby
    -Baking cakes is my hobby
    -Driving is my hobby
    -Singing is my hobby
    -Dancing is my hobby
    -Going clubbing is my hobby
    -Listening to music is my hobby
    -Hanging out with my friends is my hobby
    -Getting drunk is my hobby
    -Texting is my hobby
    -Talking is my hobby
    -Having sex is my hobby

And so on.
    :facepalm2:
    Yet again, you need to explain yourself rather than ranting as what you said makes no sense. What does getting drunk, sex, football, and games have in common? Erm, not much...so how are you calling them all hobbies?
    Oh, because you didn't get that dictionary that I suggest you get :dunce:

It is you I was asking as you told me that you know where I live...
    Dodging the question. Why? Oh, because you know you'll prove me right.

Even if someone has a crap upbringing it doesn't stop them having any hobbies...
    ...because?
    Again, need to do something called explaining yourself.

If you know where I live, you must know my age too?
    :rolleyes: Again, avoid the question, come back defensive etc. You clearly do live somewhere privileged and are young, thus most likely naive and ignorant due to age, but damn, you sure do think you are right don't you. Why?

Oh, and you are either lying or purposefully being mislead:
    ...me and 5 of my friends go 2/3 times a week, just for general fitness; you can't say gyms are dominated by men because about half of the people I regularly see there are women, and the majority of fitness classes are filled with women and maybe the odd man.
    So you have only just started going but think you know everything about them? Oh I see what is going on here. You would argue with your Einstein about physics as you know best right?

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:
    Yet again, you need to explain yourself rather than ranting as what you said makes no sense. What does getting drunk, sex, football, and games have in common? Erm, not much...so how are you calling them all hobbies?
    Oh, because you didn't get that dictionary that I suggest you get :dunce:
    They are all fun and people enjoy them? Doesn't make them a hobby though... I will agree football is a hobby if someone plays it regularly

Dodging the question. Why? Oh, because you know you'll prove me right.
    How will I be proving you right, if I tell you where I live? I know where I live... You are claiming you know where that is... Yet you are the one who hasn't told me where this mystical place is :eek:

...because?
    Again, need to do something called explaining yourself.
    Just because they have a crap upbringing it doesn't stop them from going out and joining in with things... Now you explain why having a crap upbringing means you can't have hobbies

:rolleyes: Again, avoid the question, come back defensive etc. You clearly do live somewhere privileged and are young, thus most likely naive and ignorant due to age, but damn, you sure do think you are right don't you. Why?
    I may be young but that does not make me naive... "live somewhere privileged" yes... I live in England, we are not a third world country

Oh, and you are either lying or purposefully being mislead:

So you have only just started going but think you know everything about them? Oh I see what is going on here. You would argue with your Einstein about physics as you know best right?
    You are just hilarious... I joined the gym a month ago, before then I only attended fitness classes weekly. My friends on the other hand, have been members for the past year.

ReputationRep:
    Common sense
    Logic
    Rationality
    Driving skills
    Maths
    Philosophy
    Science
    Working hard
    Sports
    Hobbies
    :awesome:

EDIT: Seems like a sense of humour is another one to add to the list.
    Oh waw... I found your original quote amazing...
    I'm just gunna jump straight to the ones I like, because I am tired and don't want to waste my time on here much longer (hold on... Is that me being logical and rational?!)

Driving skills: None of the girls I know have crashed; several of the guys I know have.

Maths: I love maths, got a B in A level, also, ever watched countdown?

Philosophy: I'm just gunna give this one to you, purely cos I know nothing about philosophy

Science: I got B's in A level Biology and Chemistry... I loooove Chemistry... Both my biology and Chemistry classes at school where 50% guys, and 50% girls... And I went to a boys school (was mixed sixth form, but there were 75% guys, 25% girls)

Working Hard: I work hard to get places. All the guys I know complain about work and would happily not work if it was socially accepted.

Sports: I play netball and badminton... Alot of girls play netball...

Hobbies: Yeah, we have spoke about this

Sense of humour: AHAHAHAA

ReputationRep:
    Some guys do. I'm just going on my own experience, quite a few of my friends have guys staring at their boobs constantly and I used to have idiots making comments about mine which was extremely daft because they're not in any way remarkable. But I just haven't noticed women making a big deal about guys and I certainly don't see anyone staring at a guys crotch. I definitely don't. Unless you're David Bowie in Labyrinth (those trousers were far too tight, it's awkward), you don't notice as a rule.
    Or possibly larger than other guys "in the trouser department"? On a related topic I'm going to try to find some decent trousers next time I go shopping. The ones I own all feel too tight when they're done up properly, have crappy pockets(I always get holes in the left pocket). They're the right size for my waist but not in other areas.

ReputationRep:
    They are all fun and people enjoy them? Doesn't make them a hobby though... I will agree football is a hobby if someone plays it regularly
    :facepalm:
    Get a dictionary dear. Now look for the word hobby. Now notice how you have to learn something and gain skill/knowledge in it.
    Now why did I have to spell that out for you? Maybe there are some more things I missed from my list eg. reading and following simple instructions.

How will I be proving you right, if I tell you where I live? I know where I live... You are claiming you know where that is... Yet you are the one who hasn't told me where this mystical place is :eek:
    So you're not even keeping up with this conversation are you? Do you remember why I asked where you lived/claimed I knew where you lived? :curious:

Just because they have a crap upbringing it doesn't stop them from going out and joining in with things... Now you explain why having a crap upbringing means you can't have hobbies
    Hobbies need money and motivation, something poorer parents tend to lack.

I may be young but that does not make me naive... "live somewhere privileged" yes... I live in England, we are not a third world country
    Well if you are young, you will be naive.....it's kind of intrinsic.

You are just hilarious... I joined the gym a month ago, before then I only attended fitness classes weekly. My friends on the other hand, have been members for the past year.
    Oh wow! A month and your friends for almost a year! :eek: Hang on, I and my friends have been going for 6+ years. Oops

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:
    Get a dictionary dear. Now look for the word hobby. Now notice how you have to learn something and gain skill/knowledge in it.
    Now why did I have to spell that out for you? Maybe there are some more things I missed from my list eg. reading and following simple instructions.
    Hobby: an activity someone does for pleasure when they are not working.
    There you go Hun, that's what my dictionary says, so sex can be included?

So you're not even keeping up with this conversation are you? Do you remember why I asked where you lived/claimed I knew where you lived? :curious:
    Because you are claiming I live in a privileged area...

Hobbies need money and motivation, something poorer parents tend to lack.
    Nothing to do with gender then?

Well if you are young, you will be naive.....it's kind of intrinsic.
    No... No it's not. And it depends what age you count as young anyway. I am a very open minded person, and I will happy admit when I know I am wrong... Which is why I'm still debating with you here, because you are the narrow minded person who is truly naive (I mean, you really think men are far superior then women don't you?)

Oh wow! A month and your friends for almost a year! :eek: Hang on, I and my friends have been going for 6+ years. Oops
    Oh my gosh?! Really?! I didn't know you needed to go to the gym for 6+ years to know what genders attend the gym more...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're David Bowie in Labyrinth (those trousers were far too tight, it's awkward), you don't notice as a rule.
    Can you call them trousers? Looked more like tights to me.

Oh God... I need to go watch the Labryinth now. I love the little worm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyAquarius)
    Can you call them trousers? Looked more like tights to me.

Oh God... I need to go watch the Labryinth now. I love the little worm!
    Do you mean the Jim Henson puppet or is that your pet name for Bowie's trouser-bulge? ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HmMusic)
    Do you mean the Jim Henson puppet or is that your pet name for Bowie's trouser-bulge? ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, how did I not notice this awful innuendo when I was wrote that??

I meant the worm that lives in the wall with a scarf on! haha.

ReputationRep:
    Hobby: an activity someone does for pleasure when they are not working.
    There you go Hun, that's what my dictionary says, so sex can be included?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby
    By your definition, taking a piss when you need would be a hobby

Because you are claiming I live in a privileged area...
    Well? Do you? Don't reply if you won't answer this.

Nothing to do with gender then?
    Theoretically no. In reality, yes.

No... No it's not. And it depends what age you count as young anyway. I am a very open minded person, and I will happy admit when I know I am wrong... Which is why I'm still debating with you here, because you are the narrow minded person who is truly naive (I mean, you really think men are far superior then women don't you?)
    You don't show how you are not naive at all, you just spout liberal nonsense about being open minded. This only reinforces what I said.
    I have met more men that impress me than women, however that is 100% due to cultural problems within the UK raising women to be boring and dependent on having a boyfriend.

Oh my gosh?! Really?! I didn't know you needed to go to the gym for 6+ years to know what genders attend the gym more...
    You kind of do.....:facepalm2: You would realise you see a massive variation throughout the months due to new years resolutions, holidays, summer etc. Arguing with someone who you know has more experience than you just makes you look really bad and ironically, close minded as it begs the question; what would it take for you to change your mind? If someone with more experience than you is not enough, than what is? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    And you are fitting my theory pretty well so far and many are also coming across as terribly naive/ignorant or think that I was not generalising.
    Because I happen to be the sort of person who is incredibly interested by new things, and it's physically impossible to do all the things I want to do at once, so if I find something new that I haven't done yet and I want to try, I'll eventually drop something else to make time for it. Your theory is that girls don't have hobbies, why does the fact that my hobbies change regularly negate the fact that I have them? I don't think anyone who knows me would say I don't have hobbies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.