Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Regarding the pubs thing, I thought I'd stick my view in - I feel that pubs should be protected to some degree (largely because of the jobs and livelihoods involved) and feel that an important step to make is to restrict the ridiculously low prices supermarkets put on alcohol, which encourage alcoholism as well as harming the pub industry

ReputationRep:
    ....Or you could just get rid of the smoking ban and stop taxing pubs, how about that.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I personally support the smoking ban and feel that the money lost from no longer taxing pubs would not be worth the benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    In a nutshell: I think you underestimated the potential of the industry.
    I don't think I did, I think society is changing and big parts of our culture will as they have disapeared in the past. Pubs will still be around but there will not be as many. Night clubs will increase in number, as they are.

As a side note, we cannot stop change (the government may and has added to it with the smoking ban which doesn't exist in this house) but the breweries if wanting to stay in business will have to sell to the supermarkets and pubs will have to change to meet the needs of the public who use them.

It's not a situation I like, I often go and enjoy my local, but it's reality.

And I will add, I support the view of LtCommanderData about supermarket prices and I have proposed a bill to tackle this.

Can I ask wha are Labour's plans for the aftermath of the election and the next parliament

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Perhaps some bipartisanship to end the extradition treaties might be possible. (Although I have a bill in the works that will do just that, but you may not agree with the rest of it.)
    I'm willing to listen to such a proposal on a matter such as this if it improves the bill you are wanting to implement. But apart from that any ideas you would like my view/input on by means of PM are welcome, but I bet I wouldn't agree with 90% of your views so be selective. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Can I ask wha are Labour's plans for the aftermath of the election and the next parliament
    Wait a week and all will be revealed as they say. I can tell you that Labour will be looking to get more involved and build upon the fact we're a long standing party in this house of commons and attempt to gain a larger stake of the publics support, working for the people in the process.

I see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardozo)
    I don't think I did, I think society is changing and big parts of our culture will as they have disapeared in the past. Pubs will still be around but there will not be as many. Night clubs will increase in number, as they are.

As a side note, we cannot stop change (the government may and has added to it with the smoking ban which doesn't exist in this house) but the breweries if wanting to stay in business will have to sell to the supermarkets and pubs will have to change to meet the needs of the public who use them.

It's not a situation I like, I often go and enjoy my local, but it's reality.

And I will add, I support the view of LtCommanderData about supermarket prices and I have proposed a bill to tackle this.
    It looked like you did from your original comment and that was part of the problem.

As I said, and you have just confirmed, pubs do need to diversify but the government also needs to take action to encourage this (hence proposals put forward by other members in this thread).

Thank you for your response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardozo)
    Wait a week and all will be revealed as they say. I can tell you that Labour will be looking to get more involved and build upon the fact we're a long standing party in this house of commons and attempt to gain a larger stake of the publics support, working for the people in the process.
    What will be the main legislative focus this term?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    What will be the main legislative focus this term?
    Specific focusses will be revealed in the upcoming manifesto, but as always we will be trying to maximise quality of life for those (imaginary TSR people) affected by our legislation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Käse)
    Many TSR Labour MPs voted against the drug legalisation bill here. What do you (those members especially) think of this news? What do you think of drug legalisation as a whole?
    i must say that sacking is pretty shocking and well i agree with him, re-classing it from a C to a B was crazy, but then i come from the thought of that all drugs should be legal or at least be legal to use, much like they do in portugal

ReputationRep:
    What does the TSR Labour Party think of the RL Labour party's recent pledge to cut down Housing Association rents by 1% next year?

ReputationRep:
    What is TSR Labour's view on Devolution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Boy)
    What is TSR Labour's view on Devolution?
    Personally, I would be against further devolution, but I accept that it's an issue for the the people of Scotland, Wales and NI to decide upon.

ReputationRep:
    What does the TSR Labour Party think of the RL Labour party's recent pledge to cut down Housing Association rents by 1% next year?

Here is a link for that earlier question:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8345718.stm

ReputationRep:
    Here is a link for that earlier question:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8345718.stm
    I'll be honest, this isn't really my strong point and it's the first I've heard of it. The Guardian says 2 million, the BBC says 5 million will get the cut, it doesn't seem to achieve anything and it's not something the TSR Labour Party would put into action, especially considering the majority asked do not even want to see a cut.

ReputationRep:
    Following from my earlier thread, I'd appreciate if you could answer some questions:

What is your policy on the railways? (do you think they're better private or public etc.)

What is your policy on the Royal Mail? (particularly the recent strikes and privatisation)

What's you immigration policy?

What is your policy on the EU, and the potential addition of Turkey?

What is your policy on the bail-outs of banks, and their 'bonus culture'?

What is your policy towards Heathrow expansion?

What is your energy policy regarding nuclear, renewables and fossil fuels?

What is your opinion on tax and the rates of it?

ReputationRep:
    What is your policy on the railways? (do you think they're better private or public etc.)

Its a historical fact that Labour supported nationalisation we'd like to push the extending real public ownership and accountability to ensure that the public investment we make generates a social, economic and environmental return.

What is your policy on the Royal Mail? (particularly the recent strikes and privatisation)

Strike action is something Labour obviously supports, as a last resort, however I’m of the opinion that Labour should nationalise the Royal Mail.

We would like to limit immigration to some degree and we support the green card system currently in place in RL.

We support the EU (union being the key word) but we believe that it needs to become more transparent. The union is important for many things, not only is it good economically, it allows us to have more of a say about the environment out there in the big bad world.

I personally take a selfish view that Turkey should join this union as it is not in our interests to continually expand ‘Europe’ especially as it‘s a poorer nation which may mass emigrate to nations such as the UK for a better standard of life and who could argue with why someone would want that.

Bonus culture has to come to an end but not entirely. It is good to have bonuses for good work in many types of business but the amount paid out in the banking industry is extreme.

We support how the real labour government has bailed out the banks but it must not stop there, we want to see more transparency in this area too, with banks not being able to hide their problems until it’s too late.

This is an issue close to my heart, having contributed to the purchase of a plot of land at the planned site. We do not like the idea of expanding airports and aim to reduce domestic fights through improvement of the railways and reducing the amount the government gives to airlines to take such fights under their wing (excuse the pun).

We take global warming seriously and support nuclear power (although it’s not perfect, I can‘t wait until nuclear fusion is possible) and want to invest in renewable energy production.

--

There was alot of questions so pardon me for being vague. Having read your other thread I think Labour or Centre would be for you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OK well I'm going to put my opinions in to give you an idea of the range of views we offer.

(Original post by PJ991)
    I personally feel that privatisation of railways has led to problems which could be avoided were they in public hands.
    Although strike action isn't the preferred solution, I believe absolutely in the right to strike. I don't want the Royal Mail to be privatised, but I do feel that the way it is being managed could be improved
    Obviously there isn't an infinite area for people in this country. However, I do feel that priority should always be given to those at greatest risk. If I were to write a bill restricting immigration, it would be from countries such as the US and Australia (not that I plan to write such a bill).
    I support our involvement in the EU and don't feel that Turkey should be excluded
    The bonus culture is obviously very selfish and I feel that more should be done to put more money into the hands of the poorest in the country, rather than giving enormously high earners even more money.
    I oppose it and promote greener alternative ways of travel
    I feel that protecting the environment is very important, and the use of renewables is an important thing for this. Regarding nuclear, any development of it would have to be very heavily regulated to get my support
    What is your opinion on tax and the rates of it?
    Tax rates should be higher for the richest!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.