Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by detalol)
    I did the prose comp, thought it was tricky but not impossible. Do you remember the sentence with compete in it? I can't remember translating it and have this terrible worry that I missed it altogether 😱.

On another note, I thought the Tacitus essays were pretty nice as far as Tacitus goes.
    It was something about Perseus finding the people of Larissa taking part in sacred games and in which they persuaded him to take part / compete, I can't remember myself now actually...

I also found the Tacitus essays quite do-able, definitely a lot to say, just about hand-picking what to say I guess.

ReputationRep:
    was importandi a gerund or a gerundive then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Age-Quod-Agis)
    It was something about Perseus finding the people of Larissa taking part in sacred games and in which they persuaded him to take part / compete, I can't remember myself now actually...

I also found the Tacitus essays quite do-able, definitely a lot to say, just about hand-picking what to say I guess.
    Ahh thank you yes I remember, that is so relieving 😅. I think I 'idiomed' that bit quite heavily, like you not remembering word for compete. I think I said something like 'to be a part of'.

Yes agreed re Tacitus, would have liked more time as a lot to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megh01)
    was importandi a gerund or a gerundive then?
    General consensus is Gerundive i think.

ReputationRep:
    Prose comp I thought was pretty tricky - too many pronouns, not many subjunctives (which are my strong point) and some annoying vocab. I couldn't remember forsee so changed it to warned and thought ludo was a first verb rather than third. At least I remembered persuadeo takes the dative! As for Tacitus, the questions themselves were ok but I messed up my timings. Spent 40 mins on the first essay and went into too much detail on the first section of it - ended up playing catch up in the second essay. I still feel like I wrote a decent amount for them though (1/2 booklet for first essay and the rest of the booklet bar two pages for the second). Very annoyed that I made such a pig's ear of the prose comp - Just praying for low grade boundaries!

ReputationRep:
    There was a question where you had to say the case of aqua!?!? Oh God I have failed this paper... I must have gotten over excited about having seen the translation and been full of adrenaline and not read the bleepin' questions properly...

Well I've got perfect marks on the translation then but I'll have lost all of the grammar marks... I don't remember being asked about the case of importandi or aqua at all! and it's really sad because I am so confident on my gerunds and gerundives!

Obviously I'm not the person who would know but would importandi be a gerund that has undergone gerundival attraction? After all when a gerund has a direct object it changes to agree with it. So if it was "the hope of carrying in food" as I remember it being, that would be why there is confusion as to whether it is gerund or gerundive.

Now why could I not have written that down in the exam ((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by actrice)
    There was a question where you had to say the case of aqua!?!? Oh God I have failed this paper... I must have gotten over excited about having seen the translation and been full of adrenaline and not read the bleepin' questions properly...

Well I've got perfect marks on the translation then but I'll have lost all of the grammar marks... I don't remember being asked about the case of importandi or aqua at all! and it's really sad because I am so confident on my gerunds and gerundives!

Obviously I'm not the person who would know but would importandi be a gerund that has undergone gerundival attraction? After all when a gerund has a direct object it changes to agree with it. So if it was "the hope of carrying in food" as I remember it being, that would be why there is confusion as to whether it is gerund or gerundive.

Now why could I not have written that down in the exam ((
    Hmmmm...could be? I definitely can't say I know for sure.
    Whatever it was, I'm going to try to forget about the exam until results day. Although I know exam results count, at the end of the day, you know your level in Latin, so just because you might have made a little mistake on the day, that absolutely doesn't mean you're not as good at rhe language as another student!
    And you should certainly habr perfect marks for translation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sargentsargent2)
    General consensus is Gerundive i think.
    Indeed - the gerund has been attracted.

Interestingly (?) in the original Livy it was a gerund!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BluWacky)
    Indeed - the gerund has been attracted.

Interestingly (?) in the original Livy it was a gerund!
    so the answer was gerundive? I translated it as 'hope of bringing in food' so surely that is a gerund? and gerund can have endings um, i , o , o right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megh01)
    so the answer was gerundive? I translated it as 'hope of bringing in food' so surely that is a gerund? and gerund can have endings um, i , o , o right?
    Quite true. However, weren't both the words for 'food' and 'bring in' in the genitive? So the 'importandi' is behaving as an adjective and has a passive meaning, whereas a gerund is a noun with an active meaning; a literal translation would be 'hope of food being brought in' (though of course your translation is a far more idiomatic one)

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A2 Latin this year - any tips for the 25 mark essays? I'm really struggling with how to structure them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachJess4)
    I'm doing A2 Latin this year - any tips for the 25 mark essays? I'm really struggling with how to structure them.
    Hey! I'm doing Latin too this year!! What texts are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god other Latin students :') uh I'm also stuck for the 25 markers, the main things I'm trying to remember are to give roughly equal attention to content and style in your answer unless the question is focused on one in particular, and to explain how stylistic techniques actually work when talking about them... I'm doing Aeneid bk VI and Pliny the younger's letters for my set texts I'm terrified

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone have a copy/photo of the 2016 prose paper? Would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stripedbox)
    Hey! I'm doing Latin too this year!! What texts are you doing?
    Aenied book 6 and a selection of letters by Pliny, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joueurun)
    Oh my god other Latin students :' uh I'm also stuck for the 25 markers, the main things I'm trying to remember are to give roughly equal attention to content and style in your answer unless the question is focused on one in particular, and to explain how stylistic techniques actually work when talking about them... I'm doing Aeneid bk VI and Pliny the younger's letters for my set texts I'm terrified
    We're doing the same texts! How are you going about learning them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachJess4)
    We're doing the same texts! How are you going about learning them?
    How do we approach the Virgil essays please? Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am doing A Level Latin and basically teaching myself so I was wondering if anyone had any notes/essays for the set books (Tacitus 4 and Virgil Aeneid 6), especially the Virgil. I would be happy to share mine with anyone as well but I am seriously concerned for the exam because I have no resources other than my own brain! Thanks😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheClassicsGeek)
    Hi! I am doing A Level Latin and basically teaching myself so I was wondering if anyone had any notes/essays for the set books (Tacitus 4 and Virgil Aeneid 6), especially the Virgil. I would be happy to share mine with anyone as well but I am seriously concerned for the exam because I have no resources other than my own brain! Thanks😊
    ahh I'm doing Tacitus book 4 too, the chapters about Sejanus right? my teacher has done notes for all of the chapters we've studied, and I've written an essay on each of them.
    I'm just kinda memorising the text, and learning a few key analysis points for each chapter, its the unseen im more scared/unprepared for!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clawki)
    ahh I'm doing Tacitus book 4 too, the chapters about Sejanus right? my teacher has done notes for all of the chapters we've studied, and I've written an essay on each of them.
    I'm just kinda memorising the text, and learning a few key analysis points for each chapter, its the unseen im more scared/unprepared for!!
    Which passages do you think are most likely to come up? I find a lot of it quite dry and I'm struggling for points!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.