Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had assumed, having registered my interest, i would have been sent some updated information by now, but haven't heard anything. I keep checking the gov.uk website and hope, when the application system opens, it will appear on there. If anybody spots how/where to apply, could you post it on here please.

ReputationRep:
    Application should open today March 16th.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how much volunteering/relevant paid work experience previous successful Step Up candidates had when they applied for the course? I'd love to apply for next year, but I'm only just starting volunteering after realising quite late in life that social work is the career for me (I do meet all the other criteria however, and I have three children of my own!) Any insight would be very much appreciated, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hello, can anyone tell me how the application for step up is structured, is there any tests? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    If you've not already, take a look at the FAQs: http://www.stepuptosocialwork.co.uk/faq.php

I've had a long held interest in social work since finishing university in 2007, but I've always had the financial barrier stuck in my way. Step Up to Social Work seems like an excellent opportunity. I've just read an evaluation from the first two cohorts which is very interesting, take a look here: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._-_Step_up.pdf

I have worked as a play worker between 2007 and 2010, some of this time was spent running a centre with very challenging children and parents and some with special needs. I've also worked with families in other roles, mainly as a workshop leader in more recent times. I've also been a special constable. So, while I may not have "extreme" experience working in social work position, I would hope that I would be able to transfer a lot of these experiences through the assessment centre and into doing the actual job.

It would be great to discuss elements of the application process etc here with anyone else who is entering an application! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys

I've applied for Step Up to Social Work Cohort 4 Jan 2016,

I was wondering if I could speak to anyone who has done the actual programme to discuss in detail what to expect.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's so nice to finally communicate with people who have done and plan to do the same programme!! Heyyyyy everyone! Well I'm still in the process of completing the application form hope to submit mid next week yikes! Anyone applying for Redbridge or Westminster? For those who have done the course any tips? I've heard the assessment centre is like the Apprentice, only slightly worrying ! Pretty new to this thing - so hopefully I have posted correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FKSW)
    It's so nice to finally communicate with people who have done and plan to do the same programme!! Heyyyyy everyone! Well I'm still in the process of completing the application form hope to submit mid next week yikes! Anyone applying for Redbridge or Westminster? For those who have done the course any tips? I've heard the assessment centre is like the Apprentice, only slightly worrying ! Pretty new to this thing - so hopefully I have posted correctly.
    I'm applying this year but applied a couple of years ago and got through to the assessment day. I didn't get selected so I'm having another go - in North Yorkshire though. The assessment day is a very rigorous day but you can see what they are assessing - core values, ability to deal with people under pressure, understanding of what social work is and general characteristics like assertiveness and ability to engage with people. I took it as an achievement to get through to the assessment day and feel more prepared this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelCP85)
    Hello, can anyone tell me how the application for step up is structured, is there any tests? Thank you.
    I assume you mean the assessment day? If you have not filled in the online application i would thoroughly advise getting some proper support from an Advice and Guidance professional - i used my university's team and they gave me some really helpful feedback on my answers to the questions and personal statement and that got me through to the assessment day a couple of years ago. The assessment day itself is in several parts and has a formal interview, a role play, a written exercise and possibly other parts I've forgotten. It is clearly aimed at getting to your core values and strengths, your understanding of what social work is and your ability to engage with people under pressure. Good luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have experience of working with adults with learning disabilities, However i am also a supplementary school teacher and teach chuildren 6+

Is it worth pursuing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FKSW)
    Hey!

I feel the same way, I've been hopelessly searching away trying to find a blog or forum from people with personal experience of this programme and the application process of it - to no avail! At least we can all come together to share experiences here.

Just sent my application away today.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I sent my application off today for the Step Up programme for Hammersmith and Fulham. Getting involved with the blog just to be in the company of others in the application process and so that we can all panic together

ReputationRep:
    Someone set up a thread for this year's application process: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3230157
    Come and join

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've just applied for step up to social work cohort 4. Did anyone get on in the end? If so how intense is the course? What are the placement hours like etc. I know it's full time, just wanted a rough amount of hours per week spent on placement and course.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    What I recieved today .Thank you for submitting your application for the Step Up to Social Work programme, cohort 4.

We are currently working through a high volume of applications and enquiries to the recruitment team but would like to assure you that your application is still being processed.

We are expecting to receive all outcomes from the short listing panels for each regional partnership on Friday 5th June 2015 and will endeavour to relay this information to you week commencing 8th June 2015.

We do appreciate that you will be keen to understand your personal application progress, please be assured we are focussed on ensuring you receive an update as soon as your application moves to the next stage of the process.

In the meantime we would like to thank you for your patience.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else got the same update?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did

ReputationRep:
    anyone apply for South Tyneside?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone in the south coast partnership? I'm on the Isle of Wight and just been shortlisted for the assessment centre. Anyone know where the centre is and what happens at the assessment centre? X

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone in the south coast partnership? I'm on the Isle of Wight and just been shortlisted for the assessment centre. Anyone know where the centre is and what happens at the assessment centre? X

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.