Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gategate)
    I'm super late to the party. I have no classroom experience. I should be able to get some at my old school but with working, I may only be able to manage 1 day a week. What is the sort of length of time they expect for experience, bearing in mind too I only have a 2:2. Obviously i don't want to apply too late to miss spaces.

Also references question. I'm guessing whoever supervises me during the work experience can be put down as one. But who do I put as the other? I had literally no contact with any tutors during university or college.

EDIT: so obviously this question was without reading much. It seems 2 weeks is an acceptable time. Maybe my best option would be to try and get 2 weeks off work and get experience for this time. Then hopefully spaces won't fill up already.
    You would put the headteacher of the school you do your experience at and a uni tutor ideally. Did you never go to any lectures or seminars? No tutorials? If not, put your employer down, but an academic reference is preferred.
    I assume you're applying for primary? It is very competitive so look at the entry requirements for courses and see who will accept you with a 2.2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Quick question. I'm looking at jobs to do over my leave of absence (if I take one). TA jobs all want NVQ and besides none are in secondary. Would being a welfare assistant at a secondary school add anything at all? It's the only thing I can find in a secondary school
    Sounds like you'd have a lot of contact with the kids in a pastoral role, so would be very useful in your future application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ff3g08)
    Hi!

Going to slight panic mode about the whole application process - I have been writing my personal statement since March and still can't get it quite right! I'm applying for secondary Geography.

Main worry is about observation - I did the SEP placement but they could only offer me 3 days due to CRB restrictions as well as three days at another local school. I have a year as a teacher at an Independent school too. Problem is I am going travelling in 2 weeks and won't be back until February, so would only be able to do more days after that. Is that a bit risky? I work every holiday at a summer camp as well as in a Museum in the education department so have experience with kids outside the classroom.

At the moment my choices are IoE, Goldsmiths and either Cambridge or Southampton. Any other Geographers looking to apply here?

Thank you!
    Hello! I'm applying for Secondary Geog too although I have no idea where I am applying. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    GTTR was terrible. It always opened late because it crashed due to the high volume of people trying to get on. And your application was sent to each uni in order, so if your first choice took ages places at your second could fill up etc. The new system is much better and hopefully won't crash upon opening!
    I don't think they've actually changed the system itself though (as in computer systems, etc), only the number/ordering of choices and the branding. I doubt it will be any better in terms of crashes, customer service etc (I personally didn't have any problems but accept that many did!).

I prefered the one choice thing. With the new system people are inevitably going to miss out on applying to their preferred choices (maybe several) because their uni has to close to process 3x the normal applications, then reopen but there is no way to tell when or if it will reopen. I think the one choice thing made sense for such a high demand course which requires lots of commitment to the place you're applying for. Though that's my personal opinion and maybe it would be different if I'd been delayed by the system myself!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I think it stands for 'UCAS Teacher Training' Why they have to abbreviate it I don't know, tbh, I don't know why they had to change the name at all! It's probably cost thousands in re-branding, they could have just changed the original GTTR system instead (or not changed it at all as the last one seemed fine!).

xxx
    Ah, that makes sense. Quite honestly there's been so little information around that I don't know what to think right now!

GTTR was terrible. It always opened late because it crashed due to the high volume of people trying to get on. And your application was sent to each uni in order, so if your first choice took ages places at your second could fill up etc. The new system is much better and hopefully won't crash upon opening!
    After my experiences with UCAS in the past I doubt UTT will be any better to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    I am a little worried about the new ucas system for gaining references, it says that they require a reference from a Head teacher from the school you gained experience. In reality I don't feel that a head teacher is as qualified to comment on my suitability to teach through not seeing me in the classroom, I would like a teacher to provide a reference someone you can comment on my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bfc92)
    I am a little worried about the new ucas system for gaining references, it says that they require a reference from a Head teacher from the school you gained experience. In reality I don't feel that a head teacher is as qualified to comment on my suitability to teach through not seeing me in the classroom, I would like a teacher to provide a reference someone you can comment on my experience.
    I feel the same... it also puts pressure on us to get our experience done early!

For example I have five days already and I'm going to be doing 10 days after Christmas. But I don't feel like five days is enough to ask for a reference (I'd feel really cheeky) and I won't have completed my other experience in time to ask. So I'm not really sure what to do about my other reference now. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bfc92)
    Can it be a deputy head? Or does it have to be the Headteacher? When should we get in touch to ask them for a reference cos obvs they can't upload the reference untill ucas opens.. If that makes sense. I'm worried it may delay my application waiting for references. But I asked for one from my recent placement the deputy head did it for camp America, so that's why I'm thinking of asking her again as she could put the same one in. But I'm just unsure whether it needs to be the actual Headteacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've got a similar issue.

I've been lucky that one of the schools who gave me work experience really liked me and we got on really well, which means that after I finished my placement there before the summer they asked me to come back this year on and off whenever I was available from uni, including on a school trip to Amsterdam later this month and to come back again in the summer term this year.

They have been changing to an Academy through the summer and have now got a new headteacher (the other has completely retired). The new head has said she'll do a reference but she's refusing to include what I did before she was head (so the three months I did before summer) as she didn't know me then. I can't get in contact with the old head.

The alternative is the deputy head who can comment on the whole period but UCAS says it must be a headteacher! :/ it might look dodgy as well as the places I'm applying are local and know about the changes and the new head, so they will know she's commenting on me solely on about a month's worth of her being there (and most of that time I have been at university!). I worked my butt off during those 3 months and I don't want it to be for nothing!

ReputationRep:
    I am going to contact UCAS next week to reconfirm the situation with the references and ask is there are any way around it, its worth a try when you put some much effort in during work experience and it will not be translated in the same degree by a head teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree with this. What I've done is contacted my chosen teacher first, then asked the head if it can go though him but the teacher will write the reference.

It is stupid though. Surely they realise a lot of people would have had no dealings with the head?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You would put the headteacher of the school you do your experience at and a uni tutor ideally. Did you never go to any lectures or seminars? No tutorials? If not, put your employer down, but an academic reference is preferred.
    I assume you're applying for primary? It is very competitive so look at the entry requirements for courses and see who will accept you with a 2.2.
    Is MFL Secondary PGCE competitive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bfc92)
    Same!

ReputationRep:
    I got offered classroom experience!
    I will be able to work with the teacher and later on I will be able to direct my own lessons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charbear92)
    I've got a similar issue.

I've been lucky that one of the schools who gave me work experience really liked me and we got on really well, which means that after I finished my placement there before the summer they asked me to come back this year on and off whenever I was available from uni, including on a school trip to Amsterdam later this month and to come back again in the summer term this year.

They have been changing to an Academy through the summer and have now got a new headteacher (the other has completely retired). The new head has said she'll do a reference but she's refusing to include what I did before she was head (so the three months I did before summer) as she didn't know me then. I can't get in contact with the old head.

The alternative is the deputy head who can comment on the whole period but UCAS says it must be a headteacher! :/ it might look dodgy as well as the places I'm applying are local and know about the changes and the new head, so they will know she's commenting on me solely on about a month's worth of her being there (and most of that time I have been at university!). I worked my butt off during those 3 months and I don't want it to be for nothing!
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Totally agree with this. What I've done is contacted my chosen teacher first, then asked the head if it can go though him but the teacher will write the reference.

It is stupid though. Surely they realise a lot of people would have had no dealings with the head?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is definitely a good shout, I don't know why they've changed the rule, but many institutions will only send references through the person in charge even if someone else writes them. Eg. For general uni applications your class teachers will comment but usually it will be sent from the head of sixth form. And job references from PGCE providers are usually sent from the head of school but written by your tutor.

So charbear, could you get a teacher to write yours and put out through the head? Also, why can't you contact the old head? I'd also recommend contacting the unis you're applying to to discuss the issue with them.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Is MFL Secondary PGCE competitive?
    Well, it's currently a shortage subject according to the government. However they haven't released the new list of shortage subjects (and their bursaries) for 2014 entry so that could have changed. But it's not particularly competitive no. That's not to stay it still won't be hard to get on.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's currently a shortage subject according to the government. However they haven't released the new list of shortage subjects (and their bursaries) for 2014 entry so that could have changed. But it's not particularly competitive no. That's not to stay it still won't be hard to get on.
    So will unis prefer to not to fill all their places than bring aboard some people about which they don't totally feel suit for the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    So will unis prefer to not to fill all their places than bring aboard some people about which they don't totally feel suit for the course?
    Yup, pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am worrying about the Headteacher reference situation also!

Is anybody applying to Reading university for 2014 entry?

I am currently volunteering at a school, however I will probably only have about 2/3 weeks experience by the time I apply. Does anybody know if this will be enough?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bfc92)
    I imagine the head teacher will ask whoever you worked with to comment on you and then write a reference based on that. Or get whoever you worked with to write a reference and just put their signature on it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.