The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Totally agree with this. What I've done is contacted my chosen teacher first, then asked the head if it can go though him but the teacher will write the reference.

It is stupid though. Surely they realise a lot of people would have had no dealings with the head?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shelly_x
You would put the headteacher of the school you do your experience at and a uni tutor ideally. Did you never go to any lectures or seminars? No tutorials? If not, put your employer down, but an academic reference is preferred.
I assume you're applying for primary? It is very competitive so look at the entry requirements for courses and see who will accept you with a 2.2.

Is MFL Secondary PGCE competitive?
Original post by bfc92
I am a little worried about the new ucas system for gaining references, it says that they require a reference from a Head teacher from the school you gained experience. In reality I don't feel that a head teacher is as qualified to comment on my suitability to teach through not seeing me in the classroom, I would like a teacher to provide a reference someone you can comment on my experience.

Same!
I got offered classroom experience! :biggrin:
I will be able to work with the teacher and later on I will be able to direct my own lessons! :smile:
Reply 624
Original post by Charbear92
I've got a similar issue.

I've been lucky that one of the schools who gave me work experience really liked me and we got on really well, which means that after I finished my placement there before the summer they asked me to come back this year on and off whenever I was available from uni, including on a school trip to Amsterdam later this month and to come back again in the summer term this year.

They have been changing to an Academy through the summer and have now got a new headteacher (the other has completely retired). The new head has said she'll do a reference but she's refusing to include what I did before she was head (so the three months I did before summer) as she didn't know me then. I can't get in contact with the old head.

The alternative is the deputy head who can comment on the whole period but UCAS says it must be a headteacher! :/ it might look dodgy as well as the places I'm applying are local and know about the changes and the new head, so they will know she's commenting on me solely on about a month's worth of her being there (and most of that time I have been at university!). I worked my butt off during those 3 months and I don't want it to be for nothing!

Original post by Airfairy
Totally agree with this. What I've done is contacted my chosen teacher first, then asked the head if it can go though him but the teacher will write the reference.

It is stupid though. Surely they realise a lot of people would have had no dealings with the head?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is definitely a good shout, I don't know why they've changed the rule, but many institutions will only send references through the person in charge even if someone else writes them. Eg. For general uni applications your class teachers will comment but usually it will be sent from the head of sixth form. And job references from PGCE providers are usually sent from the head of school but written by your tutor.

So charbear, could you get a teacher to write yours and put out through the head? Also, why can't you contact the old head? I'd also recommend contacting the unis you're applying to to discuss the issue with them.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juichiro
Is MFL Secondary PGCE competitive?

Well, it's currently a shortage subject according to the government. However they haven't released the new list of shortage subjects (and their bursaries) for 2014 entry so that could have changed. But it's not particularly competitive no. That's not to stay it still won't be hard to get on.
Original post by Shelly_x
Well, it's currently a shortage subject according to the government. However they haven't released the new list of shortage subjects (and their bursaries) for 2014 entry so that could have changed. But it's not particularly competitive no. That's not to stay it still won't be hard to get on.

So will unis prefer to not to fill all their places than bring aboard some people about which they don't totally feel suit for the course?
So will unis prefer to not to fill all their places than bring aboard some people about which they don't totally feel suit for the course?

Yup, pretty much.
Hey guys,

I am worrying about the Headteacher reference situation also!

Is anybody applying to Reading university for 2014 entry?

I am currently volunteering at a school, however I will probably only have about 2/3 weeks experience by the time I apply. Does anybody know if this will be enough?

Thanks!
Original post by bfc92
I am a little worried about the new ucas system for gaining references, it says that they require a reference from a Head teacher from the school you gained experience. In reality I don't feel that a head teacher is as qualified to comment on my suitability to teach through not seeing me in the classroom, I would like a teacher to provide a reference someone you can comment on my experience.

I imagine the head teacher will ask whoever you worked with to comment on you and then write a reference based on that. Or get whoever you worked with to write a reference and just put their signature on it.
Original post by kpwxx
This is definitely a good shout, I don't know why they've changed the rule, but many institutions will only send references through the person in charge even if someone else writes them. Eg. For general uni applications your class teachers will comment but usually it will be sent from the head of sixth form. And job references from PGCE providers are usually sent from the head of school but written by your tutor.

So charbear, could you get a teacher to write yours and put out through the head? Also, why can't you contact the old head? I'd also recommend contacting the unis you're applying to to discuss the issue with them.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

The teacher I worked with has written the reference, but the head made it clear that if it was going through her she wouldn't feel comfortable commenting upon and signing her name to a reference that concerned the period before she was head or something along those lines. The old head has moved overseas, and the teacher doesn't feel comfortable in contacting her - and even so, she won't be able to talk about what I'm doing with the school at present.

I think my only viable option is to go with the deputy head and somehow hope I have the chance to explain why it isn't the head in an interview!
Reply 633
Hi!

I'm applying for Secondary PGCE in History - in the middle of writing my personal statement! So stressful.

I currently work as a TA in a secondary school which is providing loads of useful experience. I am wanting to get onto a course at York Uni where there are only 12 places, so competitive I am unsure if being a TA is even enough experience, but I'm not sure what else to do???

The other Uni's I've been looking at are Leeds and Hull - anyone else applying for History PGCE?

Loving this forum - loads of great advice!:biggrin:
Original post by Beckarr
Hi!

I'm applying for Secondary PGCE in History - in the middle of writing my personal statement! So stressful.

I currently work as a TA in a secondary school which is providing loads of useful experience. I am wanting to get onto a course at York Uni where there are only 12 places, so competitive I am unsure if being a TA is even enough experience, but I'm not sure what else to do???

The other Uni's I've been looking at are Leeds and Hull - anyone else applying for History PGCE?

Loving this forum - loads of great advice!:biggrin:

12 places??? That's crazy! How can a university only offer 12 places for a subject? :eek:
Reply 635
12 places??? That's crazy! How can a university only offer 12 places for a subject? :eek:

If you think about the number of subjects offered at secondary that's not that bad. Lets say the uni offers 7 different secondary PGCE subjects - that's 84 people on the secondary PGCE. That's probably about average. I'd say most have somewhere between 50 and 200 people doing the PGCE (and again for primary), though this is purely based on what I've heard from other teachers/trainees etc. Remember as well that the government is really really pushing for more people to take a school centred route so (IIRC) they have cut PGCE places a lot, meaning if anything PGCEs are likely to have less places than in previous years.

xxx
Have decided where I want to apply for a PGCE but it would be good if we could look up what there will be for PGCEs/School Direct before the 1st. :/
Original post by polka_dott
Have decided where I want to apply for a PGCE but it would be good if we could look up what there will be for PGCEs/School Direct before the 1st. :/

It's so annoying! I know where I want to apply, but due to this weird system this year where places can open at different times, I don't know if I can apply to all three of them if they aren't open, and nowhere is saying anything yet. The system is so behind this year!

I don't want to worry you but I think around that number is pretty standard. Ones I've looked at have had about 17. :frown:
Original post by Airfairy
It's so annoying! I know where I want to apply, but due to this weird system this year where places can open at different times, I don't know if I can apply to all three of them if they aren't open, and nowhere is saying anything yet. The system is so behind this year!

I don't want to worry you but I think around that number is pretty standard. Ones I've looked at have had about 17. :frown:

Woah! So that means our classes will be really small. Nothing compared to the 100 hundred classes that are so common during undergraduate years.
Reply 639
In the middle of my work experience now (a fortnight split across three year 2 classes), going well! Worried about fitting everything else (personal statement, uni visits, simply reading through all the application stuff!) around busy full time work.

Anyone else thinking about applying to Winchester for Primary PGCE 2014? It's top of my list but worried it'll be massively over-subscribed and I'll have to apply elsewhere and move house...arrrgh...

Latest

Trending

Trending