Why did YOU choose Oxford or Cambridge over the other? Watch

confusedllama
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Monty333)
I didn't realise there was an English language element? Could you explain what that consists of?
Thank you so much for your help!
I think it's more about the history and development of English but you'd better check with an Oxford person as I don't really know.
shoshin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Arialaxe)
I have chosen to apply to Cambridge (for Computer Science) because it is virtually the birthplace of many aspects of computing; Turing and Babbage..
Tim Berners-Lee?
Arialaxe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by shoshin)
Tim Berners-Lee?
He's now an MIT prof though. Turing was in Cambridge for almost all of his tragically short academic life. Also, the first stored program computer was built at Cambridge, and they've had a CS course for longer than anyone.

And Babbage made the first computer. Come on, how cool is that? Crummy ol' WWW would 'av turned up anyhow
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Arialaxe)
He's now an MIT prof though.
[Offtopic alert]And now he works for Southampton Uni. He could chose to go anywhere in the world... I think it's quite cool that he chooses to spend his time in my home city
Deceiver
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Applying to Cambridge over Oxford mostly due to the flexibility of course options - you can do a whole range of linguistic and cultural modules whereas the Oxford course is very heavy on the literature. No reasons other than that, and I actually prefer Oxford as a city.
SuperPatchKid
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
PPE at Oxford because there is no real alternative at Cambridge that I would have preferred.

Also my grades wouldn't have got me to Interview at Cambridge.. :ninjagirl:
shoshin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fluteflute)
[Offtopic alert]And now he works for Southampton Uni. He could chose to go anywhere in the world... I think it's quite cool that he chooses to spend his time in my home city
In a similar vein, and arguably even more cool, Kevin Keegan signed for you when he was European Footballer of the Year and England captain. He could have gone anywhere in the world.
username533239
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
I'd visited Cambridge several times (in fact I've only spent 2 hours in Oxford on the way to Spain, and that was after I'd decided to apply to Cambridge), and Trinity College supposedly has the best reputation for maths-possibly in the world.

Also, Oxford rejected me from their UNIQ summer school, so perhaps if I had gone to that, I'd have changed my mind!
:drool: at your sig
tumbling
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I lived too close to Oxford to consider it. Plus to me Cambridge is more beautiful, and my course has a better reputation at Cambridge generally.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by siwelmail)
:drool: at your sig
:top:
-raisa
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Deceiver)
Applying to Cambridge over Oxford mostly due to the flexibility of course options - you can do a whole range of linguistic and cultural modules whereas the Oxford course is very heavy on the literature. No reasons other than that, and I actually prefer Oxford as a city.
exact same reason for me!

I'm actually not such a big fan of literature; I'm more of a history person
Hellz_Bellz!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'll be applying to Oxford this time next year. Why did I choose Oxford over Cambridge?

1. I went to the summer school and fell in love with it.
2. Oxford do my specific course (Biomed) whereas Cambridge does that (imo) stupid Natural Sciences degree.
3. I visited Cambridge and felt unwelcome. People were rude and cold. Oxford is welcoming and I love it.

Surprisingly, the majority of my Oxbridge friends have chosen Cambridge over Oxford.
Hellz_Bellz!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SuperPatchKid)
PPE at Oxford because there is no real alternative at Cambridge that I would have preferred.

What are your grades, out of interest?
fluteflute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SuperPatchKid)

You know that (for most subjects) then Oxford interview a smaller percentage of applicants that at Cambridge?

(but the criteria are different, Cambridge has UMS, whereas Oxford uses aptitude tests)
SuperPatchKid
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
What are your grades, out of interest?
I got AAA with A in maths at AS, in my gap year I completed maths to get A (so 4 overall).

(Original post by fluteflute)
You know that (for most subjects) then Oxford interview a smaller percentage of applicants that at Cambridge?

(but the criteria are different, Cambridge has UMS, whereas Oxford uses aptitude tests)
Oh I know, the only issue I had was I was applying on a gap year and had no A*s In my teachers words, I had the enthusiasm but not the grades
I never checked my aptitude score so don't have much insight on that.
rahyahrah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I live in Cambridge, wanted to move somewhere new.

(Plus, at the time I wasn't confident in getting an A* and also wanted to hide my B at AS... oops!)
S Sutcliffe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Postscript)
Generally speaking...

Oxfordonions smile with a warm heart
Cambridge folk seem hollow, misty, unreachable even - and not in a good way. A humanity of sorts attracted me to Oxford.
Couldn't agree more. I've just had an offer from Cambridge to study English and I'm an unendurable *******.
milkytea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cambridge doesn't offer PPE. I looked at their Philosophy course and PPS, but neither of those appealed to me very much, so the decision was easy.
Imayormaynotexist
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, I haven't applied yet but what convinced me in favor of Cambridge was reading Stephen Fry's autobiography.:rolleyes:
Rancorous
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oxford but should have applied to Cambridge because they rejected me!

Seriously, I had wanted to go to Cambridge since I was like 9. I had the grades. I'd visited it a few times and loved it. I felt Oxford was more private school and stuck up. But a few friends had gotten into Oxford and told me it was more well known and a bigger, more exciting city. Best of the best. I was confident with my grades, so I made the wrong decision. In my first year of university, I applied again just to Cambridge and they were really keen to interview me. As in I got about 10 missed calls from them. Emails too. One basically said you'll have a very good shot, if you'd just respond! But I was enjoying it at uni, so I left it. Rescinded the application on UCAS. I don't know know if they really were keen to have me or if they just like to interview everyone they can.

Edit: I honestly don't understand why 6 people disliked this comment. Because I misinterpreted 'choose' as I was rejected? If you dislike it, please quote me and explain why exactly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads