Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Jeeesh stop coercing the dude into revealing something he doesn't want to. If he's telling the truth, all he did that you're now all berating him for is reveal details relevant to this thread (not just a salary expectation, but his actual salary figure for that matter too). He reveals it, and then WTF, you all immediately act as if it's unbelievable. Impossible. BS. A lie. Just lol... Then, you now bloody tell him to try and do something he just doesn't want to, or CBA to. If I had the time/willing to hide every suggestive/identifiable detail about me on a P60/tax returns form, I'd publish it here, on this geeky site (considering it would tell nothing about me other than my salary). That's fine.

But wow. People genuinely giving the replies that I've seen back to him? Stupidity. Why can't people talk to themselves more. Think with themselves more. Contemplate stuff. Be more self-conscious.

Goddamn cynicism is the typical, retarded thing society resorts to all the time. Cynicism is also the killer of intellectualism, but that's a different story. Anyway. Wow.

He's telling the truth. Okay. He's telling a lie? I cannot ever confidently suggest that; and so what? He lied... Nothing outrageous at all. End of. Some people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Chicken.

Reue already has.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...d=318009&stc=1

That is actually a photo of me from earlier today. (I'm the one closest to the camera).

That was a truly inspired comment you made by the way. Great addition to the thread.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Jeeesh stop coercing the dude into revealing something he doesn't want to. If he's telling the truth, all he did that you're now all berating him for is reveal details relevant to this thread (not a salary expectation, but his actual salary figure for that matter too). He reveals it, and then WTF, you all immediately act as if it's unbelievable. Impossible. BS. A lie. Just lol... Then, you now bloody tell him to try and do something he just doesn't want to, or CBA to. If I had the time/willing to hide every suggestive/identifiable detail about me on a P60/tax returns form, I'd publish it here, on this geeky site (considering it would tell nothing about me other than my salary). That's fine.

But wow. People genuinely giving the replies that I've seen back to him? Stupidity. Why can't people talk to themselves more. Think with themselves more. Contemplate stuff. Be more self-conscious.

Goddamn cynicism is the typical, retarded thing society resorts to all the time. Cynicism is also the killer of intellectualism, but that's a different story. Anyway. Wow.

He's telling the truth. Okay. He's telling a lie? I cannot ever confidently suggest that; and so what? He lied... Nothing outrageous at all. End of. Some people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!

You have pretty much summed up my thoughts in regards to this point.

But guys, really. £50k is not an unheard of amount for a grad. Why the hell would I lie about it anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Jeeesh stop coercing the dude into revealing something he doesn't want to. If he's telling the truth, all he did that you're now all berating him for is reveal details relevant to this thread (not just a salary expectation, but his actual salary figure for that matter too). He reveals it, and then WTF, you all immediately act as if it's unbelievable. Impossible. BS. A lie. Just lol... Then, you now bloody tell him to try and do something he just doesn't want to, or CBA to. If I had the time/willing to hide every suggestive/identifiable detail about me on a P60/tax returns form, I'd publish it here, on this geeky site (considering it would tell nothing about me other than my salary). That's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you just have a nervous breakdown? Seriously, what happened!

(Original post by Crazy92)
    Thanks!

You have pretty much summed up my thoughts in regards to this point.

But guys, really. £50k is not an unheard of amount for a grad. Why the hell would I lie about it anyway?
    I can't speak for the others, but I was winding you up

I think there's two things to note though;

1) regardless of whether you personally are or not, the amount of people claiming they will earn that much after X time is unrealistic. Many are not quite in touch with reality. Hence the original "come back in 3 years" comment someone made that wasn't aimed at you.

2) you've actually brought up the £50k again. I'm starting to wonder if you even have a penis at all? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Did you just have a nervous breakdown? Seriously, what happened!

I can't speak for the others, but I was winding you up

I think there's two things to note though;

1) regardless of whether you personally are or not, the amount of people claiming they will earn that much after X time is unrealistic. Many are not quite in touch with reality. Hence the original "come back in 3 years" comment someone made that wasn't aimed at you.

2) you've actually brought up the £50k again. I'm starting to wonder if you even have a penis at all? :eek:
    1. Not necessarily, but I would tend to agree with you. It is very difficult to get to that level.

2. I actually make more than that.... I only keep mentioning it because:
    a. It was the number originally quoted.
    b. I enjoy winding you up in the same way you enjoy winding me up, and well, it seems to work. lalalalala 50k 50k 50k

Seriously though, do you really not have anything better or more constructive to do with your time. I was trying to provide a bit of inspiration to some of the more ambitious people on here that £50k is a reasonable amount to get. I don't even consider myself an exceptional student/person/whatever. It's just down to hard hard work and a bit of luck.

Anyway, it's fairly endemic in our society to dislike and attack people who make a large amount of money. Frankly, I think that is stupid and is dragging our society down. I can't blame people though, I was the same way when I was a dirt poor student....

Also, if you really must know. It's about 7.5" and of considerable girth. So please, stop discussing my penis. I would post pictures but I would get banned for that, you can always ask your mum how it feels if you don't believe me.

ReputationRep:
    1. Not necessarily, but I would tend to agree with you. It is very difficult to get to that level.

b. I enjoy winding you up in the same way you enjoy winding me up, and well, it seems to work. lalalalala 50k 50k 50k

Seriously though, do you really not have anything better or more constructive to do with your time. I was trying to provide a bit of inspiration to some of the more ambitious people on here that £50k is a reasonable amount to get. I don't even consider myself an exceptional student/person/whatever. It's just down to hard hard work and a bit of luck.

Anyway, it's fairly endemic in our society to dislike and attack people who make a large amount of money. Frankly, I think that is stupid and is dragging our society down. I can't blame people though, I was the same way when I was a dirt poor student....

Also, if you really must know. It's about 7.5" and of considerable girth. So please, stop discussing my penis. I would post pictures but I would get banned for that, you can always ask your mum how it feels if you don't believe me.
    Damn, you've got good genetics.

By the way, you mean getting £50k within your first year/a couple of years is very tough? Or overall, it's still hard to get to £50k? Just a recurring thing that I ask here... Surely by 30+ you'll be at close/at that, if not a fair bit more, if you worked hard/went to a top university and went into even a decent field (if not the City, other, lucrative fields)? I feel sick at the idea of moving nowhere by the time I pass the half-way point of my thirties ('somewhere' being £65k+), what with what I am willing to give (gimme the opportunity to work 15 hours a day like a banker and I'll genuinely be HAPPY, and I'd take it. I'd rather be fully productive). This'll especially be the case if I DO get into a top 10 university, let alone top 6/banking target.

ReputationRep:

Further evidence of the aforementioned microphallus!

Wind me up? Are you getting me confused with someone else? Are conversation has been pretty limited to this point.

I earn well enough myself thanks, but I'll remember your words of wisdom if I ever become a "dirt poor student" again.

To be honest it comes off as hollow when some kid jumps on a forum to spout off about his £50k salary and refers to himself as an "inspiration". You're not an inspiration, you're on a grad scheme at near enough the bottom rung of your chosen field for goodness sake. £50k is an achievement soon out of university, but it's exceptionally short sighted to be so concerned with your graduate salary. So please don't misunderstand my mockery - it's not the amount you earn, it's the nature of the way you bring it up like you're some sort of boss that amuses me (and makes me question whether you're compensating for a lack of substance downstairs).

Also, mum jokes? Are we 10?

ReputationRep:

By the way, you mean getting £50k within your first year/a couple of years is very tough? Or overall, it's still hard to get to £50k? Just a recurring thing that I ask here... Surely by 30+ you'll be at close/at that, if not a fair bit more, if you worked hard/went to a top university and went into even a decent field (if not the City, other, lucrative fields)? I feel sick at the idea of moving nowhere by the time I pass the half-way point of my thirties ('somewhere' being £65k+), what with what I am willing to give (gimme the opportunity to work 15 hours a day like a banker and I'll genuinely be HAPPY, and I'd take it. I'd rather be fully productive). This'll especially be the case if I DO get into a top 10 university, let alone top 6/banking target.
    Or he's got a wild imagination

£65k by 35 isn't a tough target at all if you're in a professional job of any sort. All you need to do is be good at what you do really!

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn yourself to 15 hour days though - until you do that sort of job you can't truly know what it's like (do an internship). The truth is as people break out of that initial stage after graduation of wanting as much money as possible, many then realise that actually a small drop in salary for a considerably better work/life balance is a very favourable trade off. Hence why IB (as one example) has such high turnover rates, even though it pays a fortune.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Or he's got a wild imagination

£65k by 35 isn't a tough target at all if you're in a professional job of any sort. All you need to do is be good at what you do really!

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn yourself to 15 hour days though - until you do that sort of job you can't truly know what it's like (do an internship). The truth is as people break out of that initial stage after graduation of wanting as much money as possible, many then realise that actually a small drop in salary for a considerably better work/life balance is a very favourable trade off. Hence why IB (as one example) has such high turnover rates, even though it pays a fortune.
    Lol, well that won't be me at all. I NEED the money as much as I want it. Well, I don't need it literally (I'm far off of 'poverty'), but socially speaking I am very 'poor'. Wealth-wise it's the same; I'm quite a bit poorer than average equity-wise. Besides, £65k is the very ******* minimum I could tolerate by that age, so thank **** one opinion is that it's not even/at all a tough target. If I do the right things from now, and actually prove I'm smart/get the right education, I'm not capping myself. I'd just want more. But as a basic, benchmark level of contention, I'd like to see myself at £50k by 27 MAXIMUM, and £80k+ by about 33-35. Hopefully I can do something to significantly break £100k+ by 40-45. This much money is enough for me to make big investments (my plan), and at £100k a year (£60k after tax), EVEN at the age of 45, I'd have gathered ~£1.2mil in 20 years of working at that level (45-ish to 65-ish).

I'm young, and anything could happen, and idk at all how it works (i.e. do people have the energy to work at a level of £100k for 20 whole years?) I could be fired, etc etc... Or I could get an MBA by age 30, "guaranteeing" £100k pay by 35 instead... Lol. Anyway, at one point I've got to think about much more than making myself as employable as possible/getting the highest-paid job. Seriously dude, you don't understand what my mentality is, and you don't know that my monetary ambitions won't quell until I've at least reached a certain level of wealth. Once I get certain things, I will probably become less concerned, and possibly more entrepreneurial. Lol, that's a paradox haha. But I mean concerned jobs-wise. It would just be great if I could get enough money/capital, and knowledge, to work in some high-level City job for a while, quit, and start a business/do something else.

Although in all honesty, if I were in banking, and it looked like I could become a real big-shotter (like earn half a mil+) if I stayed on/didn't quit, I definitely just would not quit. Look at people like Roger Jenkins. The exact kind of life he's got now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Further evidence of the aforementioned microphallus!

Wind me up? Are you getting me confused with someone else? Are conversation has been pretty limited to this point.

I earn well enough myself thanks, but I'll remember your words of wisdom if I ever become a "dirt poor student" again.

To be honest it comes off as hollow when some kid jumps on a forum to spout off about his £50k salary and refers to himself as an "inspiration". You're not an inspiration, you're on a grad scheme at near enough the bottom rung of your chosen field for goodness sake. £50k is an achievement soon out of university, but it's exceptionally short sighted to be so concerned with your graduate salary. So please don't misunderstand my mockery - it's not the amount you earn, it's the nature of the way you bring it up like you're some sort of boss that amuses me (and makes me question whether you're compensating for a lack of substance downstairs).

Also, mum jokes? Are we 10?
    Mate, you seem pretty wound up tight about this.

I'm not discussing it anymore. I don't know what your problem is. If you actually read and thought about what I said then I think you would draw a different conclusion. You are just reading it the way you want to.

I would say I'm relatively inspirational to someone from my background, making it into a competitive field from a poor background without any help up. I'm happy to say that because I viewed people who did what I had done as inspirational when I was starting out. I'm not saying I'm a general inspiration.

So, please contribute something decent to the thread instead of lambasting anyone who disagrees with you. Don't bother quoting me again

ReputationRep:
    Mate, you seem pretty wound up tight about this.

I'm not discussing it anymore. I don't know what your problem is. If you actually read and thought about what I said then I think you would draw a different conclusion. You are just reading it the way you want to.

I would say I'm relatively inspirational to someone from my background, making it into a competitive field from a poor background without any help up. I'm happy to say that because I viewed people who did what I had done as inspirational when I was starting out. I'm not saying I'm a general inspiration.

So, please contribute something decent to the thread instead of lambasting anyone who disagrees with you. Don't bother quoting me again
    You don't get to dictate the conversation is over just because you don't like the outcome. Feel free not to quote me again if you actually want to end it. In short my responses to your points.

1) I'm really not. That's twice you've said this, what is it you presume I'm wound up tight about? We're discussing you, not me.

2) I disagree - I have consistently quoted you.

3) Ego alert.

4) I have contributed to this thread numerous times. I like the word lambasting, but by "anyone" I assume you mean solely you?

ReputationRep:
    Primary school teacher so..

22k to start off with hopefully bumping up to 40k+ after 25 years or so if I want to become a head teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It seems way to many people here are motivated by money rather than doing something they're passionate about and will enjoy...just me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    I earned about 55k a year when I was 19 so wouldn't want to go below that for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What job did you do or are you an entrepreneur?

Also what experience and qualifications did you have beforehand.

ReputationRep:

Pleeeeaaaaaase come back and read all your posts in about 7 years' time. Whether you've made the money of not, I'd love to know your reaction to these.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wealth-wise it's the same; I'm quite a bit poorer than average equity-wise. Besides, £65k is the very ******* minimum I could tolerate by that age, so thank **** one opinion is that it's not even/at all a tough target. If I do the right things from now, and actually prove I'm smart/get the right education, I'm not capping myself. I'd just want more. But as a basic, benchmark level of contention, I'd like to see myself at £50k by 27 MAXIMUM, and £80k+ by about 33-35. Hopefully I can do something to significantly break £100k+ by 40-45. This much money is enough for me to make big investments (my plan), and at £100k a year (£60k after tax), EVEN at the age of 45, I'd have gathered ~£1.2mil in 20 years of working at that level (45-ish to 65-ish)
    Wow... You are ambitious, I will give you that but you are talking about earning in the very top bracket. You are going to need a lot more than money to motivate you to get there. You might think that working hard will be enough, but the reality is you need the right attitude and passion for your career (that isn't money related). You won't even get through the recruitment stage without it, let alone progress in the career.

The fact you are retaking your AS levels also makes me question whether you have the true intellect to get you there (harsh maybe, but even these grades will be looked at for a grad programme/university entry at the level you are talking about).

As someone who was only on a measly salary (by your standards not mine), I find it funny that you think that could be socially poor. On a single income much lower than your expectations, I own a house in Central London, go on holidays and live a great lifestyle. Trust me, working 70 hour weeks to get there was worth the property, but nearly burning out wasn't. I grew up and realised family, friends and life outside if work was much more important so I left what was actually a very well paid job in most peoples' standards to actually enjoy life rather than be a slave to work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ps - if money is your motivator, go into Sales/commission related work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Wow... You are ambitious, I will give you that but you are talking about earning in the very top bracket. You are going to need a lot more than money to motivate you to get there. You might think that working hard will be enough, but the reality is you need the right attitude and passion for your career (that isn't money related). You won't even get through the recruitment stage without it, let alone progress in the career.

The fact you are retaking your AS levels also makes me question whether you have the true intellect to get you there (harsh maybe, but even these grades will be looked at for a grad programme/university entry at the level you are talking about).

As someone who was only on a measly salary (by your standards not mine), I find it funny that you think that could be socially poor. On a single income much lower than your expectations, I own a house in Central London, go on holidays and live a great lifestyle. Trust me, working 70 hour weeks to get there was worth the property, but nearly burning out wasn't. I grew up and realised family, friends and life outside if work was much more important so I left what was actually a very well paid job in most peoples' standards to actually enjoy life rather than be a slave to work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the answer, but, again, you don't know me, so all of what you could still achieve with your salary is highly unlikely to be the equivalent case for me... That's all I'll say. What was this "measly" salary though? I'm not like that. Anything above ~£33k isn't "measly" to me. Above that and you're alright. Anything below £25k is what I'd view as "measly" if you want to know. You mind telling me what the salary was, so I know what you're talking about? Also, roughly what area of London did you manage to get this property in? Maybe I'm over thinking how much money is required to get an okay property in London, but if it's in the region of £650k+, I really need a better job/income than average... Else I'm doomed. Trapped unwillingly in the lower socioeconomic classes. I care highly about that. To the replier above me saying to look back at my posts in 7 years... Well, I cringe at everything I do say. But I'm upfront about stuff, as you can see. I consider myself to have great foresight... I'm only trying to not fall into this highly inevitable trap I envisage in my head, of being stuck as a poor, impassionate worker on 30/40k forever. Hell... You don't know. Besides, I'm deleting my TSR account before some employer identifies this account as me Seriously lol.

Also, back to J-SP, do you mean to say you've got to be articulate/frank and have a way with words at interviews, in order to show that "attitude" you talk about? Curious.

Look man, I'm a willing slave. Now you get someone so eager to kiss the corporations' butts, everybody has to say stuff along the lines of 'value your time over work'/no, don't do so. I'm decided as to what I want in life for now.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answer, but, again, you don't know me, so all of what you could still achieve with your salary is highly unlikely to be the equivalent case for me... That's all I'll say. What was this "measly" salary though? I'm not like that. Anything above ~£33k isn't "measly" to me. You mind telling, so I know what you're talking about?

Also, do you mean to say you've got to be articulate/frank and have a way with words at interviews, in order to show that "attitude" you talk about? Curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In regards to attitude, no that's not what I meant. Attitude is a mixture of your motivation for the career, your drive to do things well (not actually earning money but doing a good job), your own self-awareness and a sense of perspective, all wrapped up in a mix of the soft skills needed to do the job on top of the knowledge/intelligence required to do it. It what makes great people excel in their careers.

If money motivates you, I am sure you will get it. But if that is in a profession like those you have mentioned, you need to find one that will keep your interest so that you enjoy your day job and work to your skill set. People who earn the type of money you are talking about usually are passionate about their job not passionate about the money (they just appreciate it!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    In regards to attitude, no that's not what I meant. Attitude is a mixture of your motivation for the career, your drive to do things well (not actually earning money but doing a good job), your own self-awareness and a sense of perspective, all wrapped up in a mix of the soft skills needed to do the job on top of the knowledge/intelligence required to do it. It what makes great people excel in their careers.

If money motivates you, I am sure you will get it. But if that is in a profession like those you have mentioned, you need to find one that will keep your interest so that you enjoy your day job and work to your skill set. People who earn the type of money you are talking about usually are passionate about their job not passionate about the money (they just appreciate it!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see. I heed your words.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.