Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2015 Physics Applicants Watch

• View Poll Results: Which Physics course(s) are you going to apply for?
    Physics BSc
    26.85%
    Physics MSci
    49.54%
    Theoretical Physics/ Phys & Maths BSc
    7.41%
    Theoretical Physics/ Phys & Maths MSci
    15.74%
    Physics with Astrophysics BSc
    7.87%
    Physics with Astrophysics MSci
    12.50%
    Physics and Philosophy BSc
    1.39%
    Physics and Philosophy MSci
    4.17%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may-97)
    Does anyone have tips for preparing for Oxford interviews?
    Make sure you're up to scratch with mechanics. If you say you've read something, read it. Know all of the content you've done in your A Levels (or equivalent) so far well.

Also try not to stress too much, just go in there and talk through your thought process.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at merton!! All merton applicants start checking your email!! Xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got an interview for Oxford - a bit disappointed but oh well. Good luck with the interviews everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you change you application to a Bsc at York, they will offer you AAB and you can swap back to the MPhys once you get there... Don't know if that's of any interest? If you don't go to interview though, no they won't give you an offer. I've done interviews at both Manchester and York if you want to ask about them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Art of War)
    Anybody with an interview at Manchester on the 5-th of February?
    I've had one a few weeks ago if you want to ask about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniej667)
    I've had one a few weeks ago if you want to ask about it
    Ooh, that's cool, thanks a lot! So, how was it like- did they ask you a lot of physics related questions or was the interview more like "Why do you like Physics" and "Why would you choose the University of Manchester?" Oh and who interviewed you- a professor or just a member of the academic staff ?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, that's cool, thanks a lot! So, how was it like- did they ask you a lot of physics related questions or was the interview more like "Why do you like Physics" and "Why would you choose the University of Manchester?" Oh and who interviewed you- a professor or just a member of the academic staff ?
    I was interviewed by an academic staff member but others were interviewed by professors... It was very casual, 'why physics?' 'Why Manchester?', and questions on my personal statement and extra curricular. Other people were asked an academic question but I wasn't, guess it depends who's interviewing! They asked if I had any questions at the end, and I asked a few which I would recommend because it shows interest! I've done 3 interviews and Manchester was definatly the most casual! Nothing to be worried about!

ReputationRep:
    I was interviewed by an academic staff member but others were interviewed by professors... It was very casual, 'why physics?' 'Why Manchester?', and questions on my personal statement and extra curricular. Other people were asked an academic question but I wasn't, guess it depends who's interviewing! They asked if I had any questions at the end, and I asked a few which I would recommend because it shows interest! I've done 3 interviews and Manchester was definatly the most casual! Nothing to be worried about!
    Thank you and that's awesome! I have read a lot of similar opinions and I'm kind of anticipating the interview+ I'm an EU student, so I will have a chance to see Manchester! And can I get an autograph from Bryan Cox, just saw him on Doctor Who

ReputationRep:
    Thank you and that's awesome! I have read a lot of similar opinions and I'm kind of anticipating the interview+ I'm an EU student, so I will have a chance to see Manchester! And can I get an autograph from Bryan Cox, just saw him on Doctor Who
    Manchester is amaaaaazing I love it! Yeah you gotta love Brian! Good luck with the interview!

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is amaaaaazing I love it! Yeah you gotta love Brian! Good luck with the interview!
    Haha, yes, you just can't hate Brian And thank you! Good luck with your application, I hope you get accepted at the place you desire the most!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've just started my physics degree at KCL and would like to tell you a couple of things that I wish I had known about prior to applying. Firstly, apply to whatever university you want to go to (even if, like me, you aren't predicted an A* in maths but they say that they require it) because you may end up doing better than you had imagined and now have to go to university knowing that you could have gone to somewhere even better.

Secondly, and I feel this is more subtle, only apply to a university if it has a designated physics department. This may sound obvious, but for example, at KCL the physics department has its whole own floor of the building for offices, study spaces, etc. whereas all the chemists, informatics students, etc. are shoved on a shared floor under the shared title of "NMS" (natural and mathematical sciences).

Following on from this, I noticed that not very many of you have put that you are thinking of applying to KCL, however there are a few things that you may not know about the physics department, and KCL as a whole:

1) KCL has ranked alarming low in league tables recently and I was very aware of this (it put me off applying there initially), and was eager to find out why. What happened was that a huge proportion of the medical staff were basically fired for pretty much no reason. In retaliation, and to dent the reputation that KCL is so proud of, most of the students decided to give it terrible ratings in the student opinion polls, and hence causing it to plummet down the league tables.

2) KCL has by far one of the most mathematical physics degrees in the country. If you love maths, you will love it, but if maths is not what you are best at, then this could really be a challenge for you. You will do intense maths courses in all 3 years (3rd year maths is optional but a very likely choice) and in the third year you can do general relativity (probably some of the hardest maths in physics) - which is not offered at almost any universities until Masters degree level (even Imperial don't do it until Masters :eek:)

I am not trying to flog KCL to you at all, and if you are aiming for Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, etc. then I completely understand why (forever envious of you), but I've learnt to never judge a university from the outside anymore.

Anyways, best of luck with the rest of your A-levels (enjoy it!) and all the best for your applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexball97)
    I haven't got an interview for Oxford - a bit disappointed but oh well. Good luck with the interviews everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unlucky! What's your plan B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x0diak)
    Hello,

I've just started my physics degree at KCL and would like to tell you a couple of things that I wish I had known about prior to applying. Firstly, apply to whatever university you want to go to (even if, like me, you aren't predicted an A* in maths but they say that they require it) because you may end up doing better than you had imagined and now have to go to university knowing that you could have gone to somewhere even better.

Secondly, and I feel this is more subtle, only apply to a university if it has a designated physics department. This may sound obvious, but for example, at KCL the physics department has its whole own floor of the building for offices, study spaces, etc. whereas all the chemists, informatics students, etc. are shoved on a shared floor under the shared title of "NMS" (natural and mathematical sciences).

Following on from this, I noticed that not very many of you have put that you are thinking of applying to KCL, however there are a few things that you may not know about the physics department, and KCL as a whole:

1) KCL has ranked alarming low in league tables recently and I was very aware of this (it put me off applying there initially), and was eager to find out why. What happened was that a huge proportion of the medical staff were basically fired for pretty much no reason. In retaliation, and to dent the reputation that KCL is so proud of, most of the students decided to give it terrible ratings in the student opinion polls, and hence causing it to plummet down the league tables.

2) KCL has by far one of the most mathematical physics degrees in the country. If you love maths, you will love it, but if maths is not what you are best at, then this could really be a challenge for you. You will do intense maths courses in all 3 years (3rd year maths is optional but a very likely choice) and in the third year you can do general relativity (probably some of the hardest maths in physics) - which is not offered at almost any universities until Masters degree level (even Imperial don't do it until Masters :eek:)

I am not trying to flog KCL to you at all, and if you are aiming for Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, etc. then I completely understand why (forever envious of you), but I've learnt to never judge a university from the outside anymore.

Anyways, best of luck with the rest of your A-levels (enjoy it!) and all the best for your applications.
    Thank you so much for this post! At the moment, I only have an offer from King's which I am absolutely ecstatic about (despite it not being my top choice uni, mainly based on the rankings) and can now see myself going there! Plus I absolutely love maths so that's a bonus. How would you say the maths on the course compares to A level maths (and even further maths if you took it or know people who did)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalem2406)
    Thank you so much for this post! At the moment, I only have an offer from King's which I am absolutely ecstatic about (despite it not being my top choice uni, mainly based on the rankings) and can now see myself going there! Plus I absolutely love maths so that's a bonus. How would you say the maths on the course compares to A level maths (and even further maths if you took it or know people who did)?
    That's great to hear! Any other questions be sure to let me know.

Unfortunately I never did further maths so I can't help there, however pretty much everything you did at A level will re-surface, and it will all be useful. A lot of it will be extensions of what you have done before. For example, integration by parts will be extended to reduction formulae, so it is just building on what you already know. The hardest thing you will probably come across in the first year is vector calculus and ordinary differential equations, however if you love maths then it won't be too bad!

ReputationRep:
    has anyone applied to Newcastle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanRigg96#)
    Unlucky! What's your plan B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would love to go to Imperial, but haven't heard anything from them yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would love to go to Imperial, but haven't heard anything from them yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you get above 90% in Maths?
    If so, I'm sure they'll offer you something

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you get above 90% in Maths?
    If so, I'm sure they'll offer you something

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, 96% in maths

ReputationRep:
    Yes, 96% in maths
    They'd be crazy not to give you an offer haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They'd be crazy not to give you an offer haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Crazy? Haha! I'll just wait and see

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.