Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 789tom789)
    Personally I think it's unfair asking why you don't do further maths. It's not a requirement for the course.
    (Original post by 789tom789)
    But they don't require it. Therefore why must I do it? Bizarre.
    If you appreciate economics then you'll understand why they want you to do further maths. You'll struggle with the course without a decent mathematical grounding. They want to know why you didn't pick it if you had the option to.

(Original post by groovyd97)
    I have done AS further maths but dropped it for A2. I am predicted 3A*s - do you think saying "I wanted to focus on getting the best grades possible in the 3 subjects while also doing an EPQ" would be valid reason for not doing A2 FM?
    No. You'll have to say something about not appreciating the importance of maths in economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmelinelu)
    Has anyone got an offer from Warwick L100?
    I do. Got it 1 week after I submitted my application.

ReputationRep:
    If you have higher predicted grades like A*A*A* instead of A*AA are you more likely to receive the lower offer from universities? Like Nottingham for example ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    If you appreciate economics then you'll understand why they want you to do further maths. You'll struggle with the course without a decent mathematical grounding. They want to know why you didn't pick it if you had the option to.

No. You'll have to say something about not appreciating the importance of maths in economics.
    At my school, if you take FM you can only take one other A2 subject. Personally i thought this limited the scope of knowledge I was able to show, therefore decided against FM! When I wanted to change to FM last year, this was not possible as it did not fit in with my timetable and would result in me having to change my other AS subjects! Is this a valid reason for not taking FM?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, my friend is applying for Politics and Economics he's predicted A*AA in History economics and Business Studies. UCL, Manc, Birmingham, Leeds, Bath. AS: AABD, Good chances?

ReputationRep:
    I sent my application off two weeks ago and recently got offers from Leeds and Southampton on their L100 Economics courses Still waiting for Nottingham, Exeter and Birmingham to reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dstunr)
    If you have higher predicted grades like A*A*A* instead of A*AA are you more likely to receive the lower offer from universities? Like Nottingham for example ?
    Don't think so, I'm predicted A*A*A* but got offered A*AA annoyingly

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone in here with an offer from Warwick who didn't get 4A's at AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndhala)
    Don't think so, I'm predicted A*A*A* but got offered A*AA annoyingly
    Have you got a. Offer from Nottingham???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomixox)
    Have you got a. Offer from Nottingham???
    Yep but still waiting on Bristol and Warwick

ReputationRep:
    At my school, if you take FM you can only take one other A2 subject. Personally i thought this limited the scope of knowledge I was able to show, therefore decided against FM! When I wanted to change to FM last year, this was not possible as it did not fit in with my timetable and would result in me having to change my other AS subjects! Is this a valid reason for not taking FM?
    probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndhala)
    Yep but still waiting on Bristol and Warwick
    Congratulations! I'm still waiting to hear back from them
    Can I just ask when you applied and when you got an offer.
    Also if you don't mind, your stats; gcse's as subjects and results etc.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! I'm still waiting to hear back from them
    Can I just ask when you applied and when you got an offer.
    Also if you don't mind, your stats; gcse's as subjects and results etc.

Thank you
    Applied roughly 26th Sept..
    Heard from Nottingham on 15th and Southampton on 17th
    8A*'s GCSE
    AAAB at AS

ReputationRep:
    Another offer-less day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Another offer-less day

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You and me both sister, well I only sent it yesterday! Where have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsfanatic123)
    You and me both sister, well I only sent it yesterday! Where have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Third that! I sent mine on the 13th of Oct! What about you guys? We should probably be a lot more patient - first offers don't come until at LEAST two weeks! So hard though because I want at least one offer now haha

ReputationRep:
    Third that! I sent mine on the 13th of Oct! What about you guys? We should probably be a lot more patient - first offers don't come until at LEAST two weeks! So hard though because I want at least one offer now haha
    You're right! Tbh I'm quite chilled about getting offers but it would be nice to have one now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsfanatic123)
    You're right! Tbh I'm quite chilled about getting offers but it would be nice to have one now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty relieved to have 2 offers right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwatters)
    Hah sorry for coming on strongly, I guess they're just going to be curious as to why someone applying there didn't do Further Maths when it's known they do sort of want to see it. Lots of the time colleges might not offer it and so they're going to want to know that rather than make assumptions as to why someone didn't take it.
    Yeah thats a bit better, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)

You have just basically said I don't appreciate Economics, which I take as a bit of an insult. Personally I think very good UMS in AS Maths and an A* prediction in A2 Maths proves I have the "decent mathematical grounding".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.