Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by biancaabat)
    totally agree his books are amazing
    Not sure if you're in the London area but if you are, he's giving a lecture at the Royal Institution in March on the Anthropocene which I'm very much looking forward to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Not sure if you're in the London area but if you are, he's giving a lecture at the Royal Institution in March on the Anthropocene which I'm very much looking forward to!
    No way! When exactly is it? I live close enough to London for it to be worth going to see
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by biancaabat)
    No way! When exactly is it? I live close enough to London for it to be worth going to see
    All of the details are here. Do bear in mind that it's not a free lecture, unless you're a member of the Royal Institution (it's really cheap for students though, barely more than the cost of a single lecture so it's worth it if you think you'd attend more than one a year). I've attended a few lectures at the RI and they were decent (my main problem with them is that they did seem a bit too family-oriented and a bit 'showy') but it's Zalasiewicz so I'm definitely going to go there, especially since my membership runs out soon.

You might also be interested in the Geological Society's lectures which in my experience are really excellent (and they're free). There's a lecture in April on the Earth's climate evolution which you might be interested in - I certainly am! Imperial also occasionally has relevant lectures, particularly with regard to climate change and energy, often hosted at the Grantham Institute.

ReputationRep:
    Heading to Aberdeen for Geology. It was my insurance choice last year. Deferred my entry after receiving my offers and I'm currently on a gap year thanks to the Royal Geographical Society, so excited to start uni though even though I missed my firm choice by 1 mark (St Andrews).

5 years at Aberdeen.... Only visited it for 3 hours so let's hope I love it!!

Struggle to see much on TSR about Geology or Aberdeen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Jan Zalasiewicz (read his books!) lectures at Leicester which can only be a good thing!!
    so I'm guessing he's a really good teacher/geologist? Sorry I don't know much about him lol. I really would like to go Leicester, but birmingham accepted me for the a2b scheme also, so now I'm really torn between the two
    my two other offers are keele and Plymouth. Can someone help me out?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Floppy.balls)
    so I'm guessing he's a really good teacher/geologist? Sorry I don't know much about him lol. I really would like to go Leicester, but birmingham accepted me for the a2b scheme also, so now I'm really torn between the two
    my two other offers are keele and Plymouth. Can someone help me out?
    I don't know how good a lecturer he is, he's just written a lot of really great books I was joking though, don't choose a university because a specific person teaches there. I think the most important thing is that you think you'd be happy living there and that you like the look of the department and the atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    I visited UCL on Wednesday, and I was really confused, because some of the buildings didn't look like the typical university building (but then I realised that they were the residence halls haha). It was a good day, I liked the fact that they have lots of exclusive machines and that they work with nasa. The only negative thing is that students have to pay for the trip to get to the fieldtrip place and that the department is quite small (also, it is expensive, but that's because it is London xD). Anyway, I have received all the decisions fromthe unis that I have applied to, and now is the time for me to make the decisions. (I posted this on Wednesday, but i think that my internet connection was too bad, so it didn't get posted )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjlol)
    Heading to Aberdeen for Geology. It was my insurance choice last year. Deferred my entry after receiving my offers and I'm currently on a gap year thanks to the Royal Geographical Society, so excited to start uni though even though I missed my firm choice by 1 mark (St Andrews).

5 years at Aberdeen.... Only visited it for 3 hours so let's hope I love it!!

Struggle to see much on TSR about Geology or Aberdeen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I shall see you there!! Ive firmed my offer for Geology, roll on the next 5 years!😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megzsurfxx)
    I shall see you there!! Ive firmed my offer for Geology, roll on the next 5 years!😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww awesome!! Where are you from??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjlol)
    Aww awesome!! Where are you from??
    Im so excited!! Theres a facebok page set up, have you seen it? If not ill send you the link! I live on the north east coast of scotland, only an hour and a bit from aberdeen!😊 where are you from?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im so excited!! Theres a facebok page set up, have you seen it? If not ill send you the link! I live on the north east coast of scotland, only an hour and a bit from aberdeen!😊 where are you from?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same, seems so far away though!! I haven't seen it, that would be perfect if you could send me the link thats good, at least you'll be close to home!! I'm from Northern Ireland! First person I've seen on the same course!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjlol)
    Same, seems so far away though!! I haven't seen it, that would be perfect if you could send me the link thats good, at least you'll be close to home!! I'm from Northern Ireland! First person I've seen on the same course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1561525770755035/ heres the link!!😊
    Ahhh Ireland, thats so cool!! Theres a few people on the FB page that have posted that they are also doing the course, its going to be great meeting new people!! Are you going to the applicant day on the 25th of March? 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1561525770755035/ heres the link!!😊
    Ahhh Ireland, thats so cool!! Theres a few people on the FB page that have posted that they are also doing the course, its going to be great meeting new people!! Are you going to the applicant day on the 25th of March? 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks very much, I'll check it out now!! Yeah, I can't wait to meet all these new people!! I can't go unfortunately, I'm in Australia until May! I take it you are going since you live so close?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjlol)
    Thanks very much, I'll check it out now!! Yeah, I can't wait to meet all these new people!! I can't go unfortunately, I'm in Australia until May! I take it you are going since you live so close?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem!😊 that is so so awesome, where abouts in auz are you at? Id absolutely love to go to byron bay! Well I got offers from Glasgow and Edinburgh but the course content at Aberdeen made me go for it and the links with the oil industry!! I did some work experience for geology at Aberdeen too and it was so cool!! I guess it being closer to home and being close to the beach played a big part but I wouldn't have minded going further away!!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No problem!😊 that is so so awesome, where abouts in auz are you at? Id absolutely love to go to byron bay! Well I got offers from Glasgow and Edinburgh but the course content at Aberdeen made me go for it and the links with the oil industry!! I did some work experience for geology at Aberdeen too and it was so cool!! I guess it being closer to home and being close to the beach played a big part but I wouldn't have minded going further away!!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I requested to join there! I'm 2 hours from Melbourne just off the Great Ocean Road working on a dairy farm. 5am wake ups suck! Yeah, it seems like a really good course and hopefully be lots of opportunities for work experience with the oil industry on the doorstep! I've only visited Aberdeen for a few hours, really hope it lives up to my expectations!! You like the water then??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjlol)
    I requested to join there! I'm 2 hours from Melbourne just off the Great Ocean Road working on a dairy farm. 5am wake ups suck! Yeah, it seems like a really good course and hopefully be lots of opportunities for work experience with the oil industry on the doorstep! I've only visited Aberdeen for a few hours, really hope it lives up to my expectations!! You like the water then??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is so awesome!!! Hope your having a great time😃 how long have you been out there for?! yeah its super good for work experience and placements Ive heard, i went to schlumberger and did lots of geophysics stuff too, it was awesome! Im sure you will love it!!😃 oh yeah I couldn't live away from the ocean, I love surfing and scuba diving!! Is there any questions you want to know about Aberdeen and the course? If so i could ask at the open day since you can't make it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That is so awesome!!! Hope your having a great time😃 how long have you been out there for?! yeah its super good for work experience and placements Ive heard, i went to schlumberger and did lots of geophysics stuff too, it was awesome! Im sure you will love it!!😃 oh yeah I couldn't live away from the ocean, I love surfing and scuba diving!! Is there any questions you want to know about Aberdeen and the course? If so i could ask at the open day since you can't make it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's hard work but a good experience!! I've been travelling since November, started in Thailand! You seem way more prepared than me. That's awesome that you've got lots of experience already! What's scuba diving like around that part of Scotland? It's something I've always wanted to get in to!

No questions I can think of right now, I sent them a few emails over the past few months whenever something popped in to my head. If I think of something then that would be awesome if you could ask. Thanks very much for the offer!! Are you going to live in halls then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjlol)
    It's hard work but a good experience!! I've been travelling since November, started in Thailand! You seem way more prepared than me. That's awesome that you've got lots of experience already! What's scuba diving like around that part of Scotland? It's something I've always wanted to get in to!

No questions I can think of right now, I sent them a few emails over the past few months whenever something popped in to my head. If I think of something then that would be awesome if you could ask. Thanks very much for the offer!! Are you going to live in halls then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can imagine it will be but totally worth it!!🌍 ahhh thats amazing, i would love to travel round that part of the world, Bali looks awesome too! Im sure your just as prepared too!! travelling before uni is such a good idea, I really wanted to take a few months out but other plans have popped up!! Its really good, also the reefs around the west coast are amazing!! Aberdeen have a scuba diving club so you could get into it that way!!😃 thats no problem at all! Yeah Im going into halls but i really dont know which ones😱 Hector boece is meant to be awesome! Are you going to live in halls?😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine it will be but totally worth it!!🌍 ahhh thats amazing, i would love to travel round that part of the world, Bali looks awesome too! Im sure your just as prepared too!! travelling before uni is such a good idea, I really wanted to take a few months out but other plans have popped up!! Its really good, also the reefs around the west coast are amazing!! Aberdeen have a scuba diving club so you could get into it that way!!😃 thats no problem at all! Yeah Im going into halls but i really dont know which ones😱 Hector boece is meant to be awesome! Are you going to live in halls?😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry for the super late reply, was working then out for dinner with my bosses family! Hopefully with a degree in Geology you'll get plenty of chance to travel!

Yeah I was looking at the scuba diving club, is it expensive in the UK? I've never really looked at prices for the training courses etc! I was going to do it in Thailand but the visibility was so bad when I was there they cancelled all the courses.

I'll be in halls so. Definitely a self-catered one, really wanted an ensuite but I can only see one type of room with an ensuite and it's super expensive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    What would you class as relevant work experience for geology?
    And how did you guys decide on geology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.