Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    Had a dream last night that Osborne was announcing another budget today which included GEM funding! (can you tell I'm getting impatient?!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's literally killing me to wait for them to announce, I just hope they will keep the funding the same or give us more help!! I'll be happy either way!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renren95)
    It's literally killing me to wait for them to announce, I just hope they will keep the funding the same or give us more help!! I'll be happy either way!!
    IS there a chance that funding will be cut for 2016 entry? or is this planned way in advance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    I know right. Plus I now I have to locate all my certificates.
    Do we need our A Level certificates for UCAS??
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ruth_glasgow)
    Do we need our A Level certificates for UCAS??
    Do you remember all your exam boards and exact grades?

If you do, you won't need it for UCAS but you will need them as proof should you get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Do you remember all your exam boards and exact grades?

If you do, you won't need it for UCAS but you will need them as proof should you get an interview.
    Exact grades as in every module? I lost my certificates the day they got handed out... A bit screwed haha!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ruth_glasgow)
    Exact grades as in every module? I lost my certificates the day they got handed out... A bit screwed haha!
    Sorry I was being a bit misleading, but you have to declare all grades and exam boards (for example I had forgotten about my lovely D in general studies until I found the certificate).

You will need copies for any offers/interviews you get, so it may be worth looking into getting new copies!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I was being a bit misleading, but you have to declare all grades and exam boards (for example I had forgotten about my lovely D in general studies until I found the certificate).

You will need copies for any offers/interviews you get, so it may be worth looking into getting new copies!
    Ah ok phew! I can remember the over all grades just about haha, but will have to contact the exam boards for replacements just in case I do get some interviews! Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:

I don't think you have to declare all your module marks( referring to GCSE). Have you included all your modules in your university degree and grade you were awarded?

ReputationRep:
    Guys if I got AAB in my A levels does this then mean I can't get into any 5 year undergraduate medicine courses even if I got a first in my science related degree?

ReputationRep:
    I did not need any a level certificates for my interviews at Nottingham, SGUL or Swansea. SGUL weren't even bothered with the MSc certificate.

Some 5 or 6 year courses have lower A level requirements for graduates, not all though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemBoss)
    Guys if I got AAB in my A levels does this then mean I can't get into any 5 year undergraduate medicine courses even if I got a first in my science related degree?
    I applied to King's for GEM and got an alternative offer for their 5 year course, even though my A-Levels are below their requirements for school leavers. I think it does depend on the university, but a degree can compensate. Might be worth contacting the unis you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    IS there a chance that funding will be cut for 2016 entry? or is this planned way in advance?
    Yes I think so. They announce funding in the summer I think, and whether nhs will continue funding depends on the economy each year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renren95)
    I know right! I am hoping that the nhs will continue funding but that graduate medicine will be considered in the new postgraduate funding starting 2016 entry of up to 10,000!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    I know right! I am hoping that the nhs will continue funding but that graduate medicine will be considered in the new postgraduate funding starting 2016 entry of up to 10,000!
    As far as I'm aware this is your total funding though, which would only just cover fees. Also not sure if you could get it every year of the course as it seems to be targeted towards 1 year postgraduate degrees such as MSc/MRes etc. But the BMA seem hopeful it will be for graduate medical students also.
    Current funding arrangements are ~£15,000pa if you total fee and maintenance loans.

(Original post by tw781)
    Yes I think so. They announce funding in the summer I think, and whether nhs will continue funding depends on the economy each year.
    Funding has been in a pickle since the fee increase to £9000. The NHS/Student finance scheme was only a temporary solution. Pretty certain 2012/13 was the last year it was originally scheduled for, but it was extended a couple of times. 2015 entry funding was announced late Spring last year, though rumors and correspondence were seen from Feb last year. I seem to recall this being later than usual.
    I'd be surprised if anything was announced after Sept. 2015 for the 2016 entrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    As far as I'm aware this is your total funding though, which would only just cover fees. Also not sure if you could get it every year of the course as it seems to be targeted towards 1 year postgraduate degrees such as MSc/MRes etc. But the BMA seem hopeful it will be for graduate medical students also.
    Current funding arrangements are ~£15,000pa if you total fee and maintenance loans.

Funding has been in a pickle since the fee increase to £9000. The NHS/Student finance scheme was only a temporary solution. Pretty certain 2012/13 was the last year it was originally scheduled for, but it was extended a couple of times. 2015 entry funding was announced late Spring last year, though rumors and correspondence were seen from Feb last year. I seem to recall this being later than usual.
    I'd be surprised if anything was announced after Sept. 2015 for the 2016 entrants.
    I seem to remember funding was announced in summer last year.
    And as far as student finance, I envisage everything will stay the same, as it's the nhs funding which seems to be in question (from the health secretary). I imagine if the 10,000 applied to GEM, it would be a one off loan to be used in conjunction with the current.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Going_To_California)
    I applied to King's for GEM and got an alternative offer for their 5 year course, even though my A-Levels are below their requirements for school leavers. I think it does depend on the university, but a degree can compensate. Might be worth contacting the unis you're interested in.
    Aaaah okay so did you apply for the 4 year GEM course? What was your UKCAT score if you don't mind me asking? And also had you finished your degree or were you in your final year?

King's is one of the Uni's I'm seriously considering aaah what do you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemBoss)
    Aaaah okay so did you apply for the 4 year GEM course? What was your UKCAT score if you don't mind me asking? And also had you finished your degree or were you in your final year?

King's is one of the Uni's I'm seriously considering aaah what do you think of it?
    Yeah, it was for GEM. My UKCAt was 778 and I was in my final year, so my offer was conditional on a 2:1.
    I really liked King's! Had I received a GEM offer I would almost definitely have firmed it, but alas, I got a 5 year offer and don't have £36k to spare :P
    They love a high UKCAT score, so if you do well in that, you have a good chance of getting an interview. However, King's interview lots of people for a small number of places, so the odds after interview aren't as good as other places.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it was for GEM. My UKCAt was 778 and I was in my final year, so my offer was conditional on a 2:1.
    I really liked King's! Had I received a GEM offer I would almost definitely have firmed it, but alas, I got a 5 year offer and don't have £36k to spare :P
    They love a high UKCAT score, so if you do well in that, you have a good chance of getting an interview. However, King's interview lots of people for a small number of places, so the odds after interview aren't as good as other places.
    Sorry if you've already answered this, but what preparation did you do to get that great score? And roughly how many hours did you spend revising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    Sorry if you've already answered this, but what preparation did you do to get that great score? And roughly how many hours did you spend revising?
    In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure how my score ended up so high! The verbal and quant sections are my natural strengths, but the other two were more challenging for me. I used Medify, the obligatory 600Q book and practiced exams. I did it the year before and got a lower score, but I don't think there was a massive difference in the amount of time I spent revising... I think there's definitely an element of chance in there. I did spend a fair amount of time on it, though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah wow your UKCAT score is really good do you have any tips? Did you use any courses? Im feeling a bit lost atm cos I'm not sure whether to do the GAMSAT or not.

Well yeah I heard that too that both King's and Barts are especially in favour if a high UKCAT and a score of 750+ almost certainly guarantee's an interview, do you think this is true?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.