Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    @Unit 2a peeps

What did you guys put for that tractor question about improving capacity utilization?

Think the answers were like
    -Increased working hours for staff
    -Increase prices of the tractor
    -Buy extra land/warehouse space
    -idk the other

I put increased working hours myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nath98)
    @Unit 2a peeps

What did you guys put for that tractor question about improving capacity utilization?

-idk the other

Yeah me too

ReputationRep:
    I put increased working hours. Half way through I thought I made a mistake and that the answer should've been the ~'sell stock' one; but then I thought they must've mentioned the working hours in the question for a reason - so stuck with that answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klatie)
    Under utilisation is when something is lying idle somewhere. Increasing working hours doesn't increase to the yield. By removing some stock they aren't stretching themselves too far (operating at over-utilisation).

The longer hours would also increase the potential maximum so not necessarily increase capacity utilisation

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have to disagree with you there, but of course, what's done is done now so I am just going to explain why I disagree.

Under Utilization is when a business is not producing enough to meet its full potential (or desired potential). Capacity utilization is all about how much of your full potential output is in use. By increasing working hours, you are utilizing your staff to hopefully produce more because they have been given a longer time, and so can create a greater amount of output per unit of input in say, a days work, rather than half a days work.

I fail to see what it has to do with stock. Yes, you are creating stock, but capacity utilization is all about how much you're producing. Unused stock will lead to under-utilization. Removing stock (what they work with) is likely to decrease capacity utilization, rather than increase it, would it not?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remember what the 8 markers were? I have the nastiest feeling I might've missed one out .

ReputationRep:
    there was one on hmw being centralised and the impact of a) consumers and b)retailers on the decline in high street shops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annahale)
    there was one on hmw being centralised and the impact of a) consumers and b)retailers on the decline in high street shops
    Not being picky or anything, I think they were 2 7 markers.
    I know 1 8 marker was on a supply and demand diagram.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khanthebrit)
    I have to disagree with you there, but of course, what's done is done now so I am just going to explain why I disagree.

Under Utilization is when a business is not producing enough to meet its full potential (or desired potential). Capacity utilization is all about how much of your full potential output is in use. By increasing working hours, you are utilizing your staff to hopefully produce more because they have been given a longer time, and so can create a greater amount of output per unit of input in say, a days work, rather than half a days work.

I fail to see what it has to do with stock. Yes, you are creating stock, but capacity utilization is all about how much you're producing. Unused stock will lead to under-utilization. Removing stock (what they work with) is likely to decrease capacity utilization, rather than increase it, would it not?
    I get your justification but my point is that they are over doing it, not under

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No you're not being picky - I think you just took a separate exam; did you do unit 2b? I didn't.

I really think that when someone is talking about 2A, at the beginning of every post, just write 2A (vice versa for 2B) and soon enough everyone will catch on - making this discussion a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    What curve did you shift in the diagram?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For 2b section B

4 or 8 marker on long tail
    8 marker S&D
    8 marker on double dip recession
    2 7 markers about the impact of some ideas on consumers and the retailers
    4 marker on why some high street retailers would be ok without EOS

That's what I remember of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unit 2B: Business Economics

One supply curve and the demand curve shifts to the left... I think!

ReputationRep:
    Unit 2B: Business Economics

One supply curve and the demand curve shifts to the left... I think!
    There's been a big debat about this because in the evidence it stated that the rents price had increased aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klatie)
    There's been a big debat about this because in the evidence it stated that the rents price had increased aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh yea... I remember that now. It makes no sense though because demand is obviously decreasing as it says that in the question, so why would prices go up. Did you do the same?

ReputationRep:
    was just saying it in general to help people remember... sorry i couldn't remember precisely..

ReputationRep:
    i shifted the demand curve to the left

ReputationRep:
    Oh yea... I remember that now. It makes no sense though because demand is obviously decreasing as it says that in the question, so why would prices go up. Did you do the same?
    Because of the evidence I moved supply to left so prices went up but I afterwards I realised it was demand

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys can you talk about your 2b unit in another thread its so confusing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nath98)
    @Unit 2a peeps

-idk the other

Can you try and remember roughly what each question was, i know the first one was overdraft what about 2-6?? So we can discuss, my brain is gone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    Can you try and remember roughly what each question was, i know the first one was overdraft what about 2-6?? So we can discuss, my brain is gone
    Been trying to remember all afternoon :/ The capacity utilization one i remembered best idk why

I know one question, 4 i think, was what was a bonus. answers were like
    -A addition to salary based on good performance
    -herzberg motivator
    -example of job enrichment
    -forgot the other

you remember what you put?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.