Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jencvo)
    guys, I checked the self service this morning and had this for MPhil Development Studies: Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies. Does this mean the application has been moved forward? The chart than explains how the application is processed does not mention Board of GS so I am a bit confused. thanks for your help!
    That's usually very good news. The Board of Graduate Studies is a formality, and so long as nothing in your application was fraudulent or plain wrong, you are about to get an offer!

ReputationRep:
    guys, I checked the self service this morning and had this for MPhil Development Studies: Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies. Does this mean the application has been moved forward? The chart than explains how the application is processed does not mention Board of GS so I am a bit confused. thanks for your help!
    That is very good news - it means that the department and faculty would like to make you an offer, but it needs to be reviewed at university level now. You could start to (cautiously) celebrate - unless there's something unusual about your application then BoGS is usually a formality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impune)
    That's good news! Which was your original program, and which did they suggest instead?
    MPhil Modern European History to MPhil World History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgwhat)
    Nice. Do you think you'll take it, or are you going to wait to hear what Oxford says first?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! The fact that you have a potential supervisor is a good sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jantaculum)
    That is very good news - it means that the department and faculty would like to make you an offer, but it needs to be reviewed at university level now. You could start to (cautiously) celebrate - unless there's something unusual about your application then BoGS is usually a formality
    oh perfect, that is wonderful to know! thank you for such swift responses!!!! good luck to everyone else still waiting, stay positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I have more than two degrees and can't enter all of them in the form (which has rooms for only two degrees). What should I do?
    Hm, I don't remember a problem entering more than 2 degrees, though i don't remember what the form showed or what I did. I don't agree with the poster who said only enter the most recent, I think you need to mention them all and as I recall GRADSAF asks for all tertiary education? If you can't add it in one of the text boxes, contact BoGS and ask them how to do it.

I was contacted by the supervisor I wanted at Cambridge and told to make an application for a different MPhil instead. Chuffed, not a complete rejection after all! Thanks for the support thus far.
    Some are definitely easier to get into than others, good luck.

On your way to an offer

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

I have been writing back and forth with my potential supervisor at Cambridge, who seems very interested in my research. They gave me a lot of feedback on the first proposal I sent them, which I am now going to change a bit according to their comments. Is this a good sign? Also, I did not get distinction in my Master's. I believe the supervisor already knows this as I sent my CV (which does not mention distinction), but I'm not entirely sure. How important is getting distinction when being considered for a PhD?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soccerstar04all)
    It's an MPhil in Asian Studies

thanks for the advice! really helps
    I'll just have to wait and see...
    I would wait. It's nearing the end of the year and they're probably winding down right now. No news is good news.

ReputationRep:
    Applied for MPhil in Conservation Leadership on 1st of December, status was changed to under consideration by department this Monday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.anne)
    Hi Everyone!

I have been writing back and forth with my potential supervisor at Cambridge, who seems very interested in my research. They gave me a lot of feedback on the first proposal I sent them, which I am now going to change a bit according to their comments. Is this a good sign? Also, I did not get distinction in my Master's. I believe the supervisor already knows this as I sent my CV (which does not mention distinction), but I'm not entirely sure. How important is getting distinction when being considered for a PhD?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This does look good. They're clearly interested and willing to help. I would apply for sure! Can't help with the latter as it's not something I've looked into just yet (still on MPhil stage).

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Assuming that your Masters percentage is mid-high 60s, and that the figure is mentioned on your CV, and that it's not a massively competitive department, then it's not likely to make a difference to an offer - they look at all aspects of your application.

As you probably know, though, funding is another matter altogether - there is no way of telling for this.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I applied for the same subject and my status changed to "awaiting for decision from BoG" yesterday! I'm sooooooo excited! Do you think we can have an official offer before Christmas? I'm so eager to know about the conditions on the offer because I checked all past threads but found no information.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In Arts, Humanities etc., a distinction is not even enough for funding. Only the top 15-20% of applicants receive a scholarship.
    It's a good sign that they gave you a detailed feedback.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josephine666)
    Hey I applied for the same subject and my status changed to "awaiting for decision from BoG" yesterday! I'm sooooooo excited! Do you think we can have an official offer before Christmas? I'm so eager to know about the conditions on the offer because I checked all past threads but found no information.
    The time varies, but it took them just over a day for me. Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    Hm, I don't remember a problem entering more than 2 degrees, though i don't remember what the form showed or what I did. I don't agree with the poster who said only enter the most recent, I think you need to mention them all and as I recall GRADSAF asks for all tertiary education? If you can't add it in one of the text boxes, contact BoGS and ask them how to do it.
    They told me to enter the last two degrees.

I remember I had the same problem at Manchester, which uses the same application form.

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm wondering what they want to see in the B(3) of the GRADSAF, the personal statement for the Cambridge Trust. Do you have to write a lot, as suggested by the 3,100 characters limit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    They told me to enter the last two degrees.

I remember I had the same problem at Manchester, which uses the same application form.
    How odd, I definitely remember entering all mine. I had awards to note for my first degree as well which would have looked odd if it hadn't been on the form!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    How odd, I definitely remember entering all mine. I had awards to note for my first degree as well which would have looked odd if it hadn't been on the form!
    I see this, perhaps it has changed since you applied:

Name:  unis.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  110.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I see this, perhaps it has changed since you applied:

Name:  unis.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  110.0 KB
    Seems like it has - like sj, I had to enter three previous degrees and there wasn't a problem with it when I applied two years ago (except that the Oxford college where I did one of them no longer exists and it had to be added to the drop-down menu especially for me…)

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.