The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
We should be taking off Ings for Allen or Lallana. The two up front aren't getting any service so we should be adding an extra midfield player.

Exactly.
It's like Rodgers is happy to settle for the draw because it means he probably won't get the sack...

Still no subs at 75 minutes.
Come on.

EDIT: Spoke too soon but I still think it's a little late.
Lucas definitely should've walked for that.

Also, I love how selfish Barkley is - wastes so many good opportunities for Everton :biggrin:
4 wins in 18 now for Rodgers. If he was at a big club he'd have been sacked by now.
mind numbing second half
2-2, 3-3, 0-0, 1-1
What's next?
If Rodgers isn't sacked after that then God help us all. He is absolutely clueless.
Reply 626
Not annoyed with the result but actually disappointed with how much better Everton were than us.

Tactically, Martinez completely had Rodgers' number and their set-up was spot on against us.

We may have had more shots and more corners but actually we didn't really threaten Howard's goal much.

Defensively Everton were better and more solid. In attack their pressed well and always looked threatening. The performance today from Lukaku is basically what we want from Benteke but haven't seen yet.

Sturridge and Coutinho were anonymous. We didn't control anything from the midfield ether.

One thing which annoys me defensively is whenever we clear the ball or win it, it always seems to just be gifted to the opposition?
Reply 627
Original post by sr90
4 wins in 18 now for Rodgers. If he was at a big club he'd have been sacked by now.

FSG should really be sounding out Ancelotti, Klopp and De Boer. If none of them want to come, fine don't sack Rodgers. But if any are keen, just pull the trigger already.
Again it's the performance rather than the result. Which isn't too great either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 629
If Rodgers really wants to play 3ATB, it should be Gomez Skrtel and Sakho.
Reply 630
Good result
Can we complain at a point away at Everton? I guess not.

I think my biggest complaint would be how it was more Everton dictating us tactically than the other way around.
They smothered Coutinho whenever he got the ball and completely starved our strikers of service.
Out of the two teams, they will feel more disappointed with the draw based on how the game panned out.
I feel like our inability to adapt and respond to their tactics is the biggest issue.

Performance wise we were pretty average; a few players stood out both for good and bad reasons though:

Sakho had a near perfect perfect performance - his composure and distribution was exceptional. The difference in quality between him and Lovren is astounding.

Mignolet had as good as game as we'll see from him - a few minor issues particularly with kicking but that's something we always knew about. Made some excellent saves and was just generally switched on.

Ings did as good as anybody could've done in his situation - completely starved of service but on the rare occasions he got the ball, he was very bright and i'm glad he got himself on the scoresheet.

Coutinho had the most disappointing game we've seen from him in a long time. Perhaps not entirely his fault since Everton specifically targeted him, but even aside from that he was poor. His passing was poor and he uncharactistically seemed inable to beat a man.

Milner seemed to be everywhere but at the same time seemed to do nothing. Made a few decent passes but based on how often he had the ball, his percentages weren't great. Made too many errors and just lacked that extra spring in his step to beat players in 50/50 challenges.

Can had a mixed game but his mistake for the goal was criminal. Obviously Moreno should've done more to stop the cross but at the end of the day it's a simple clearance that he failed and instead gifted a goal to Lukaku (who was outstanding for Everton btw).

All in all, considering how things panned out it's a good point. However there's little positive we can take from this game and i'm sorry to perhaps sound like a broken record but Rodgers was again beaten by a rival in the tactical battle.

Special shout out to the two young Everton fullbacks who both had exceptional games. Very composed and in general defending superbly to limit us in the wide areas. Lukaku's hold up play was among the best i've ever seen and overall Everton will be disappointed to play so well without winning.
Also lol at Barkley; can't stand the man and glad to see him be very meh today. Very selfish as soon as he gets anywhere near a place to shoot and that dive was hilarious.
Colour coding...
You guys are only 3 points or so off a place in the top 4. A draw against Everton should be seen as a positive result and it also takes you 4 points clear of Chelsea for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not annoyed with the result but actually disappointed with how much better Everton were than us.

Tactically, Martinez completely had Rodgers' number and their set-up was spot on against us.

We may have had more shots and more corners but actually we didn't really threaten Howard's goal much.

Defensively Everton were better and more solid. In attack their pressed well and always looked threatening. The performance today from Lukaku is basically what we want from Benteke but haven't seen yet.

Sturridge and Coutinho were anonymous. We didn't control anything from the midfield ether.

One thing which annoys me defensively is whenever we clear the ball or win it, it always seems to just be gifted to the opposition?

Good post, prsom - sorry i didn't see it because i was too busy doing my colour coded thing... :tongue:

Completely agree; it's the tactical side of things that was the worst. Lets be honest, we were lucky and so was Rodgers; we could've just as easily lost this game and i don't think anybody could complain Everton wouldn't have deserved it.
We didn't threaten at all aside from one Coutinho/Milner chance - the goal was against the run of play from a corner but overall Everton were very untroubled.

We have no defence and we have no attack under Rodgers. How can we win?

All in all, another terrible showing from Rodgers. Since we didn't lose i doubt he'll go, but it's getting to the point where even draws against rival teams aren't good enough now. As somebody said above; sound out the three potential successors and act accordingly. They can't do any worse than what we're doing now.

Original post by Fizzel
Colour coding...

Well i'm all too aware of the IQ levels of some of the opposing fans on here so i thought i'd make it nice and simple for them :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
You proud of that?
Reply 636
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
You guys are only 3 points or so off a place in the top 4. A draw against Everton should be seen as a positive result and it also takes you 4 points clear of Chelsea for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just shows that the other sides have been a bit average but they all have another gear or two and can spend more money/have better squads.

Original post by Lúcio
Good post, prsom - sorry i didn't see it because i was too busy doing my colour coded thing... :tongue:

Completely agree; it's the tactical side of things that was the worst. Lets be honest, we were lucky and so was Rodgers; we could've just as easily lost this game and i don't think anybody could complain Everton wouldn't have deserved it.
We didn't threaten at all aside from one Coutinho/Milner chance - the goal was against the run of play from a corner but overall Everton were very untroubled.

We have no defence and we have no attack under Rodgers. How can we win?

All in all, another terrible showing from Rodgers. Since we didn't lose i doubt he'll go, but it's getting to the point where even draws against rival teams aren't good enough now. As somebody said above; sound out the three potential successors and act accordingly. They can't do any worse than what we're doing now.

Well i'm all too aware of the IQ levels of some of the opposing fans on here so i thought i'd make it nice and simple for them :biggrin:

It's fine to say, "this is our system and we're going to win" if you're Barcelona/Bayern Munich but we're an average side these days so we need to get all the other details right such as our tactics. Completely played in Everton's hands the whole game.

The other big thing that weighs against Rodgers is that he has no reputation outside of England (it's not that great in England either) so no players will come to us because of Rodgers. Our standing in the game has dropped dramatically so it's not even like the club can attract players to compensate for Rodgers' lack of pull.
It's fine to say, "this is our system and we're going to win" if you're Barcelona/Bayern Munich but we're an average side these days so we need to get all the other details right such as our tactics. Completely played in Everton's hands the whole game.

The other big thing that weighs against Rodgers is that he has no reputation outside of England (it's not that great in England either) so no players will come to us because of Rodgers. Our standing in the game has dropped dramatically so it's not even like the club can attract players to compensate for Rodgers' lack of pull.

Exactly - those teams can dictate play regardless of their opposition, and that's the difference.

Precisely; our pull isn't gonna be amazing without CL football but just imagine if we had Ancelotti (or even Klopp) in? How many quality players would go to us simply because they recognise and trust the managerial ability of a top manger like that?
It's not just the lack of pull either, it's the lack of respect. Players don't respect Rodgers enough to want to impress him. They don't fear him enough to be motivated to put the extra bit of effort in. If players don't either respect or fear their manager, he needs to go.

Our prestige has no relevance anymore - it's been so long since we won a major trophy that players nowadays forget how good we once were. All in all, we're going to struggle unless we change managers whichever way you look at it.
Reply 638
Original post by Lúcio
Exactly - those teams can dictate play regardless of their opposition, and that's the difference.

Precisely; our pull isn't gonna be amazing without CL football but just imagine if we had Ancelotti (or even Klopp) in? How many quality players would go to us simply because they recognise and trust the managerial ability of a top manger like that?
It's not just the lack of pull either, it's the lack of respect. Players don't respect Rodgers enough to want to impress him. They don't fear him enough to be motivated to put the extra bit of effort in. If players don't either respect or fear their manager, he needs to go.

Our prestige has no relevance anymore - it's been so long since we won a major trophy that players nowadays forget how good we once were. All in all, we're going to struggle unless we change managers whichever way you look at it.

Well think back to when Rafa joined us. He came as a double La Liga winner and he bought a few gems from Spain - Alonso, Reina, Torres

I wouldn't mind Klopp buying a few gems from Germany..
Well think back to when Rafa joined us. He came as a double La Liga winner and he bought a few gems from Spain - Alonso, Reina, Torres

I wouldn't mind Klopp buying a few gems from Germany..

Exactly; we had some quality players even back in the Benitez era.

I said this before - get Klopp in and perhaps he could get a few Dortmund players if we put the money in?
Very optimistic i guess but imagine if we had Hummels to partner Sakho?

Latest