Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zak1995)
    With exam day looming, I was wondering if any GAMSAT veterans could please highlight some overlooked things on the day, and extra essential items to bring on the day from their experience (aside from the obvious documentation and stationary)?
    I haven't actually done the test yet - but would recommend tissues! Nothing worse than being in a potentially dusty place and having the sniffles.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm new here...just want to wish everyone luck for Wednesday, I'm sure we'll be fine!!

I was also wondering if we are allowed to write a story for Section 2 instead of writing an essay? (Perhaps for Task B?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bajolaluna)

I was also wondering if we are allowed to write a story for Section 2 instead of writing an essay? (Perhaps for Task B?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't if I were you... TBH I think writing a story with the prompts given would be waaaay harder than an essay! Plus, it's not what they're looking for. Try intro to the topic, argument a, argument b, own opinion, conclusion, if you're having difficulty with the essay

ReputationRep:
    Good luck people! The GAMSAT is completely draining, so remember to stock your kitchen up with junk foods and alcohol to cry into afterwards! (Seriously, even if it goes well, you WILL walk out zombified and need sugar and/or booze). Disguise clear sugary drinks as water (volvic touch of fruit maybe?) 'cause sugar helps during, too. Plus, take a packed lunch. Plus, wear layers, but they're sometimes iffy about coats on the backs of chairs....so.... yah, bear that in mind. Stay calm and breathe. Go with how you practiced, or whichever method you find best. Ignore everyone else. TAKE YOUR TIME! Don't waste time, but don't rush so fast that you become careless. Read the questions before reading the text in sections 1 and 3- knowing what information you're looking for can save valuable seconds. Don't be afraid to skip questions. Don't be afraid to guess answers. During section 2, take a minute to plan the structure of each essay- make sure you have an introduction and a conclusion! Try to fit in some fun stuff, like a simile, a quotation (you can fit in loads of really open/vague quotations in any topic), a rhetorical question, a personal anecdote, and a joke! (Actually..... probably skip the joke >_<) Stay calm! If it feels like you're doing sh*t, you're doing okay. If it feels like you're doing okay, then you're doing great. If it feels like you're doing great...... either you're gonna get a high score, or it's going sh*t. Chin up, confidence is key. Work through s3 with purpose. Do NOT zone out. You WILL get through it! Good luck!

Also.... could someone please post the curve graph distribution thingy afterwards? I did the March one and it'll be useful seeing how my score compares to this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddleduck)
    I wouldn't if I were you... TBH I think writing a story with the prompts given would be waaaay harder than an essay! Plus, it's not what they're looking for. Try intro to the topic, argument a, argument b, own opinion, conclusion, if you're having difficulty with the essay
    Ahh thank you for your reply 😊 It's just that I read online that if you're finding the essays difficult you could always take a creative writing approach. You can do this by exploring one quote whereby the main character learns the moral of the quote etc. I found that this approach was actually quite enjoyable for me...

I was thinking of doing an argumentative essay for A cause the topics are much easier to argue about, and a short story for B. Would you still advise against this? Also, do you mind me asking what you scored? ☺️ just waiting for Wednesday to pass already haha

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to us all! May all the isomers make sense by tomorrow afternoon

I didn't commit myself to revising as I would normally so I am already looking forward to the March exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr_2b)
    Good luck to us all! May all the isomers make sense by tomorrow afternoon

I didn't commit myself to revising as I would normally so I am already looking forward to the March exam
    Stereoisomers, disastereomers, epimers, same molecule, Meso compounds, Fischer projections still don't make any sense!!!!!! I'm screwed if isomers come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's 29 in London tomorrow. I'm probably going to die on the Tube

Anyway good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asarev)
    Stereoisomers, disastereomers, epimers, same molecule, Meso compounds, Fischer projections still don't make any sense!!!!!! I'm screwed if isomers come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Check out the Gold Standard worked solutions videos on YouTube for Fischer projections. It helped me! Good luck everyone!! May the odds be ever in our favour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asarev)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ...Freudian slip? haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXFrenchKicksXx)
    ...Freudian slip? haha
    Haha!! I didn't even notice that. Should have added 'pun intended'!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bajolaluna)
    Check out the Gold Standard worked solutions videos on YouTube for Fischer projections. It helped me! Good luck everyone!! May the odds be ever in our favour
    Thanks I shall!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimsiclez)
    That's interesting, I always thought it was at the Kensington Olympia (I think it has been in past years!). Perhaps it has changed this year then. *
    Im foing tomorrow in Victoria dockýkī

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to everybody sitting the GAMSAT today. Completing the exam is an achievement in itself. Make sure to enjoy a good drink or two afterwards, if you aren't too drained!

ReputationRep:
    Well.. that was something

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And before my head implodes, can someone explain that damn wavelength/action potential graph, it was an absolute mess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    And before my head implodes, can someone explain that damn wavelength/action potential graph, it was an absolute mess

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nothing really special, forget about the action potential, it's simply a question testing your ability to read the graph.

I did very poorly on section 1, very likely need to retake next year lol

ReputationRep:
    Action potential was one of them that it's simple but only once you figure it out. Otherwise it looks awful.

But literally all the topics we are told come up the most in GAMSAT: not one of them came up. pKa, pKb, stereoisomers, rate law, Ksp, ****ing 0 questions. 4 essays instead of 5 and no authors included for any. Feel like they changed a lot this year. Not too happy overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Section 1 was tougher than the mocks I thought. It was really quite manageable in the mocks.

The essay section was quite interesting compared to previous years.

Section 3 really was hard, but I was expecting that being an arts grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was it just me, or was Section 3 really different?

The 25-30 % of the paper that always always comes up didn't! Like the genetics questions, the electricity questions, stereochemistry, and about a million other things.

Plus those essay topics were pretty tricky to get passionate about. Was hoping for a real issue with some complexity not just "oh times sure are changing".

Kind of get the feeling they are gearing the paper more toward science grads as opposed arts grads, which maybe isn't a bad thing? Seems like the nature of the exam changed.

Oh well, there is always March!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.