Turn on thread page Beta

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Have you received any interview invitations yet + where?
    University of Bristol
    16.28%
    Cardiff University
    22.09%
    University of Southampton
    8.14%
    University of Nottingham
    18.60%
    University of Birmingham
    34.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skittles100)
    Hi, does anyone have any steps to roleplay in breaking bad news and ethical questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by xsashax)
    Hi! does anyone know anything about the MMi system in Queen Belfast?
    Thank youu!
    Hi (I'm a 1st year Cardiff medic) I'll do my best to help. I had an interview at Belfast last year and when I asked for feedback my good stations where I performed above average were the roleplay ones.

You could be presented with any type of roleplay ranging from Breaking bad news, consouling a friend or it may just be having a general chat. QUB tend to be very very unpredictable in their MMI stations and I remember a scenario which was very odd but again if your naturally a nice person and can talk to someone with empathy honestly these stations are a breeeeze and are sooo enjoyable.
    Also please remember that you are not the actor. They aren't looking to identify an actor in you rather all they want to see is that you have some form of empathy and communication skills which obviously are essential in medicine.

Have a look at the sample station they've given you on their website.
    The way I prepared for these roleplays is to grab a friend or family relative (i.e my sister helped me loads) and practice out loads of scenarios with them.
    You'll find that once you develop a generic stratagy for each type of roleplay in your mind then all you have to do is to just adapt yourself to the scenario.
    I.e introduce yourself, listen, empathise with them, ask if there's anything you can do.

Your body language and tone of voice is absolutely VITAL. You could be saying the sweetest things with your mouth but if you've got a closed or arrogant body language you will lose marks.

For ethical statios my advise would be to read the ICS book to gather knowledge about medical ethics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic19)
    Hi (I'm a 1st year Cardiff medic) I'll do my best to help. I had an interview at Belfast last year and when I asked for feedback my good stations where I performed above average were the roleplay ones.

You could be presented with any type of roleplay ranging from Breaking bad news, consouling a friend or it may just be having a general chat. QUB tend to be very very unpredictable in their MMI stations and I remember a scenario which was very odd but again if your naturally a nice person and can talk to someone with empathy honestly these stations are a breeeeze and are sooo enjoyable.
    Also please remember that you are not the actor. They aren't looking to identify an actor in you rather all they want to see is that you have some form of empathy and communication skills which obviously are essential in medicine.

The way I prepared for these roleplays is to grab a friend or family relative (i.e my sister helped me loads) and practice out loads of scenarios with them.
    You'll find that once you develop a generic stratagy for each type of roleplay in your mind then all you have to do is to just adapt yourself to the scenario.
    I.e introduce yourself, listen, empathise with them, ask if there's anything you can do.

Your body language and tone of voice is absolutely VITAL. You could be saying the sweetest things with your mouth but if you've got a closed or arrogant body language you will lose marks.

For ethical statios my advise would be to read the ICS book to gather knowledge about medical ethics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skittles100)
    Thank you so much for that, I was feeling very worried for that station! For breaking bad news, would you break the news straight after you have introduced yourself or would you break the news slowly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi your very welcome

From what I remember from last year without going into specifics was there were about 3 roleplay stations but they didn't all fit into the typical categories and were quite random so remember to be flexible on your approach and don't just think that you have to go in and things will pan out the way you expect.

But in general if you do have to break a bad news what I would do is to firstly understand your scenario and relationship to the actor i.e do you know them, what news are you breaking etc...

Lets for argument sake use the example of you ran over your neighbours cat.

So firstly I would walk in greet the person and ask if you could talk to them for a while about something that's been bothering you. Then engage your body language with them. I find it easier to be sitting in front of the person and use an open body language. So be sure to be facing the person and giving them your full attention.
    Then explain the whole story in a soft calm tone and in an empathetic manner.
    Now they will start crying or getting emotional. DONT PANIC OR FREEZE. You may feel a little awkward here but this is your real test, how you manage this situation.
    Give them a little while to cry and understand the situation.
    Then they will most likely start getting emotional and start talking about how much the cat meant to them and how close they were etc.... If they don't then you could ask that.
    Then when there talking keep showing your empathy,interest and open body language. Keep nodding along again facial impressions are key aswell and let them know how sorry you are.
    Lastly finish off by saying is there anything I can do to help or make you feel better.

Then 5mins should be over.

What I would recommend doing is watching some youtube videos of different scenarios and check out this link also:
    http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/me...iniInterviews/

Hope that helps not only you but everyone (hence that's why I'm posting on this general interview thread)

ReputationRep:

Thank you soooo much! Do you remember how much time you had before each station? and were there a lot of questions like "why medicine, talk to me about leadership etc?"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xsashax)
    Thank you soooo much! Do you remember how much time you had before each station? and were there a lot of questions like "why medicine, talk to me about leadership etc?"?
    You had 1 minute to read the instructions displayed outside the station. They will explain all of this information to you in the briefing prior to your interview so don't worry.

I can't reveal the specifics but yes there was one station asking personal questions.

I think with QUB MMIs everyones whom I've spoken to said that it was nearly impossible to prepare for it simply due to how unpredictable their stations are and they do this on purpose.

ReputationRep:
    You had 1 minute to read the instructions displayed outside the station. They will explain all of this information to you in the briefing prior to your interview so don't worry.

I can't reveal the specifics but yes there was one station asking personal questions.

I think with QUB MMIs everyones whom I've spoken to said that it was nearly impossible to prepare for it simply due to how unpredictable their stations are and they do this on purpose.
    okay thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olivia7001)
    What would you say for an ethical situation saying that a patient/Jehovah's Witness is refusing a blood transfusion and will otherwise die?
    Is the patient able to give their consent? Are they lucid and able to tell you they don't want one? Then you can't force them to have one. But remember to talk about how that's a difficult situation - no-one is a portable ethics-o-meter, and there are nuances to the debate. Like what if you knew for a fact that they were a Jehovah's Witness and would refuse a blood transfusion, but they're passed out/nearly dead? Do you still withhold a transfusion?
    It's all very difficult!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    In my personal statement I have mentioned that I have read the Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine, what sort of questions could they ask on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedic97)
    Hi,
    In my personal statement I have mentioned that I have read the Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine, what sort of questions could they ask on it?
    That's a fantastic book, I loved reading it, how'd you find it? I guess they could ask what you learnt from it, or perhaps ask what's your opinion on the greatest advancement in medicine over the last 50-100 years (since the book goes over a great variety of things). It could be beneficial to get out there that because of reading the book, you have further appreciation of how far medicine has come and what potential there is in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDB1826)
    That's a fantastic book, I loved reading it, how'd you find it? I guess they could ask what you learnt from it, or perhaps ask what's your opinion on the greatest advancement in medicine over the last 50-100 years (since the book goes over a great variety of things). It could be beneficial to get out there that because of reading the book, you have further appreciation of how far medicine has come and what potential there is in the future.
    Yeah, I really enjoyed reading it too!
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedic97)
    Yeah, I really enjoyed reading it too!
    Thanks for the advice
    I read it too
    It's so good!
    Really explains everything in detail

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have my interview tomorrow guys. Any last minute advice or warnings would be appreciated!

Nottingham MMI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatyization)
    I have my interview tomorrow guys. Any last minute advice or warnings would be appreciated!

Nottingham MMI.
    brush your teeth

ReputationRep:
    Guys I have a quick question... If I already have an offer from my 1st choice uni, is there much point going to my interview offer for another uni?

This isn't bragging just a questions I'm pondering... Would it put me at any disadvantage? Could my 1st choice pull their offer or anything?

Thanks in advance!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tremerz)
    Guys I have a quick question... If I already have an offer from my 1st choice uni, is there much point going to my interview offer for another uni?

This isn't bragging just a questions I'm pondering... Would it put me at any disadvantage? Could my 1st choice pull their offer or anything?

Thanks in advance!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    No of course they wouldn't
    If your first choice has the same offer eg AAA to all your other choices you might aswell firm it

But going to the other interviews could be a good experience for you and you might change your mind if you attend these interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys does anyone know whether I need to take a signed passport photo to my Nottingham Medicine interview or just the other documents.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxxyy)
    Guys does anyone know whether I need to take a signed passport photo to my Nottingham Medicine interview or just the other documents.
    Thanks!
    Yeah you need to take in the passport photo signed by an unrelated professional as well as the other stuff (passport, birth certificate etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDB1826)
    Yeah you need to take in the passport photo signed by an unrelated professional as well as the other stuff (passport, birth certificate etc)
    thanks, did you upload evidence of work experience and academic results too???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxxyy)
    thanks, did you upload evidence of work experience and academic results too???
    Yeah but I don't know whether you need to do that strictly before your interview or it could be slightly after I'm not too sure

ReputationRep:
    Just got an invitation to Bristol GEM! Hurrah.

Looking at the booking form for the interview days, they look as though they're getting towards the end of sending out offers! Good luck to anyone still yet to hear back!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.