Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just tried question 4b on june 2011 5d (turning points), I used normal Ek formula (ek = 0.5mv^2), and i just used the rest mass of a proton (938.257MeV) and worked out a ratio, ended up with 0.18 and the answer is 0.25. I realise this is completely the wrong method, but i have a few questions.

For special relativity equations. How do you know which 'reference frame' (e.g. a proton moving, and some detectors) is the L =.... and which one is the L0 (subscript) part? Like how do you know which reference frame is the normal length or speed or time, and which one is the Lorentz form length, speed or time (contracted - where you use the spec rel equations) (if that makes sense).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone find this exam FREAKISHLY ****ing hard?!?!? im doing astro and it just blows my mind ... literally want to kill myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrybo6)
    Does anyone find this exam FREAKISHLY ****ing hard?!?!? im doing astro and it just blows my mind ... literally want to kill myself
    Literally me right now. I'm cramming (and have been since about 4:45 after getting to sleep at 2:30 yay) and realised I didn't know a thing about CCDs or non-optical telescopes... And if nuclear reactors come up i swear to god i will tab myself in the eye with my pen bc i aint learning that ****. Same with the long ass derivation for kinetic theory.
    However I have somehow miraculously remembered the entire star classification table so I need something to come up on that pls AQA pls pls pls pls

ReputationRep:
    Turning points

In the cgp book it uses lambda=hc/e to find wavelength in the electron diffraction experiment to work out nuclei radius......can i use this? Do i need to use de broglie equation?

It says in the book this can be used when electrons are at high enough speeds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McDerdactyl)
    Literally me right now. I'm cramming (and have been since about 4:45 after getting to sleep at 2:30 yay) and realised I didn't know a thing about CCDs or non-optical telescopes... And if nuclear reactors come up i swear to god i will tab myself in the eye with my pen bc i aint learning that ****. Same with the long ass derivation for kinetic theory.
    However I have somehow miraculously remembered the entire star classification table so I need something to come up on that pls AQA pls pls pls pls
    i hadnt done any revision for the whole of the unit until 2 days ago, 1 day for unit 5 1 day for astro and its ****ing SOLID cant do it, gonna fail i know i am o.0 also skipped the whole of gas laws i just cant do them

ReputationRep:
    i hadnt done any revision for the whole of the unit until 2 days ago, 1 day for unit 5 1 day for astro and its ****ing SOLID cant do it, gonna fail i know i am o.0 also skipped the whole of gas laws i just cant do them
    Same I came out of C4 on friday like nah not tonight then saturday I did none and Sunday I did a bit but nothing started going in until yesterday. Ikr I mean I'd say unit 4 was worse (I only did a few hours revision for that oops) but I've missed out entire topics here and same tis gas laws bc wha??? ALSO WHAT THE **** ARE QUASARS I SWEAR I DIDNT KNOW THEY EXISTED UNTIL ABOUT AN HOUR AGO

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know potential 6 markers for both unit 5 and astro

ReputationRep:
    If the 6 marker has something to do with describing a thermal physics experiment i will not be pleased

ReputationRep:
    Good luck boys and girls, we need it😅

ReputationRep:
    When I decided to take Physics I thought I was done with having to pointlessly memorise things...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah in Astro my marks can range between 15-30 on section b
    I feel like it's purely depends on what comes up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McDerdactyl)
    Same I came out of C4 on friday like nah not tonight then saturday I did none and Sunday I did a bit but nothing started going in until yesterday. Ikr I mean I'd say unit 4 was worse (I only did a few hours revision for that oops) but I've missed out entire topics here and same tis gas laws bc wha??? ALSO WHAT THE **** ARE QUASARS I SWEAR I DIDNT KNOW THEY EXISTED UNTIL ABOUT AN HOUR AGO
    You don't actually need to know what they are specifically

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone! Just one final push until freedom... Let's do this :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann_a)
    You don't actually need to know what they are specifically
    What do you need to know about them though because I can't find any notes on them

ReputationRep:
    Got a feeling it's gonna be a six marker on specific heat capacity

ReputationRep:
    Also, which SI units do we need to know?

ReputationRep:
    Exam in two hours. Was pretty confident until I realised, as I am an external candidate, that PHYA5 is not Applied Physics which is what I studied in college. So... Astrophysics. I have no clue. I have taken the wrong module and paid a hefty amount to do so. Oops. B*****ks.

Any advice? As far as I can see I am royally screwed aside from decoding the formula book section!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lc970916)
    Just tried question 4b on june 2011 5d (turning points), I used normal Ek formula (ek = 0.5mv^2), and i just used the rest mass of a proton (938.257MeV) and worked out a ratio, ended up with 0.18 and the answer is 0.25. I realise this is completely the wrong method, but i have a few questions.

For special relativity equations. How do you know which 'reference frame' (e.g. a proton moving, and some detectors) is the L =.... and which one is the L0 (subscript) part? Like how do you know which reference frame is the normal length or speed or time, and which one is the Lorentz form length, speed or time (contracted - where you use the spec rel equations) (if that makes sense).

Thanks
    Kinetic Energy = mc^2 - m0c^2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stormin')
    Exam in two hours. Was pretty confident until I realised, as I am an external candidate, that PHYA5 is not Applied Physics which is what I studied in college. So... Astrophysics. I have no clue. I have taken the wrong module and paid a hefty amount to do so. Oops. B*****ks.

Any advice? As far as I can see I am royally screwed aside from decoding the formula book section!
    Just gone through a past paper and I'm like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

NIL POIS

-______________-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stormin')
    Just gone through a past paper and I'm like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

NIL POIS

-______________-
    Oh dear.... Good luck.... I'd definitely speak to the exam officer at your centre though...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.