Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. This is the last time I'm going to be posting stuff on here b4 the english exam. Just remember to not overcomplicate things as this is a READING paper. The majority of the writing part has already been completed in your cwk. All of you are very intelligent people so I'm sure you'll do very well. Don't stress about it

I'll see you on the other side 0_o o_0

ReputationRep:
    Same see you lot on the other side looool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone, hope you all do welll just remember to manage your time and make sure you nail the easy marks e.g. q2 and q3. I'm gonna do the exam in order as thats how i've done it all my life, so I don't wanna risk anything. Really want the first question to be journal or letter but the odds are never in my favour so it's probably going to be a formal report. Anyway, goodnight and don't stress guys.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be nervous, it won't make anything better now. Go to bed and don't stress. Good luck to all doing the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSlayerr)
    Hi guys. This is the last time I'm going to be posting stuff on here b4 the english exam. Just remember to not overcomplicate things as this is a READING paper. The majority of the writing part has already been completed in your cwk. All of you are very intelligent people so I'm sure you'll do very well. Don't stress about it

I'll see you on the other side 0_o o_0
    Yep it's good to know that we've gone in with 60% of it done! X

ReputationRep:
    Ok enough revision for today. I am going to sleep now.
    Good luck on the exam everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CPMH)
    I got 45/50 in my coursework and 27/30 in my speaking and listening, how much guess wise would i need for an A in my exam
    Well to get an A* I know is around 36/50 so I'd guess an A is around 30, but from those marks, if you do well you might even be able to get an A*! Just look over some past papers and really familerise yourself with what the mark schemes are looking for. I'm sure you'll do great, and goodluck for tomorrow! xx

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys! Im probs going to send another post on here tomorrow but incase I don't GOOD LUCK! Just remember if you do well and get a C and above grade it will be the last ever english lang exam you do! Unless you do it for A Level haha. But yh try your best, just think of it like another ordinary past paper, don't stress because it just makes you lose hair :P and have fun while doing the exam!
    Remember to develop as much as you can where it is possible

I wish you all the best of luck and in 3 months time we should all post our english language grades on here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, everyone! Just going to give everyone some advice on the exam (coming from someone who has taken last year's exam with the new Q3)

First of all- I don't think that they'll mark harshly this year. I'm resitting because of the harsh marking actually (I got a overall B, one mark off an A even though I was capable of attaining better than this. My coursework was high A* as well). There were so many complaints about the marking (the HMC were investigating the marking last year) that I think that they'll back off this year (well, I hope anyway!)

Q1 will most likely be a conversation, a formal report, a speech/talk or a journal. The November 2014 paper was an interview and June's was a Newspaper Report.

Just take your time to read both of the texts thoroughly at the start of the exam and manage your time wisely (I would say 40, 30, 40 with some time to check at the end). Remember that content gets you more marks than writing- focus on getting your 15 points down. It's easy marks and it's 30 marks under your belt!

You'll do fine- just take deep breaths and TAKE YOUR TIME! I can't stress this enough. If you rush through and have an hour to spare then you have not answered the questions to your full capacity.

Good luck! Have a good sleep tonight and bring water into the exam room with you. Take deep breaths- you'll smash it!

ReputationRep:
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE lol it seems as if we r the only ones revising as in real life evryone I know isnt counting this as a real exam. BUT YH revision pays off and just dont strsss out. I advose to fo to be soon and not to revise so much before the exam once again good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batbat1306)
    Hey, everyone! Just going to give everyone some advice on the exam (coming from someone who has taken last year's exam with the new Q3)

First of all- I don't think that they'll mark harshly this year. I'm resitting because of the harsh marking actually (I got a overall B, one mark off an A even though I was capable of attaining better than this. My coursework was high A* as well). There were so many complaints about the marking (the HMC were investigating the marking last year) that I think that they'll back off this year (well, I hope anyway!)

Q1 will most likely be a conversation, a formal report, a speech/talk or a journal. The November 2014 paper was an interview and June's was a Newspaper Report.

Just take your time to read both of the texts thoroughly at the start of the exam and manage your time wisely (I would say 40, 30, 40 with some time to check at the end). Remember that content gets you more marks than writing- focus on getting your 15 points down. It's easy marks and it's 30 marks under your belt!

You'll do fine- just take deep breaths and TAKE YOUR TIME! I can't stress this enough. If you rush through and have an hour to spare then you have not answered the questions to your full capacity.

Good luck! Have a good sleep tonight and bring water into the exam room with you. Take deep breaths- you'll smash it!
    Hey, if it's not too late... Can you summarise how to write a formal report??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibte10)
    Hello guys! I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this examination as we are only 20 days away!

60% of this exam will be banked without even starting the exam- three pieces of coursework and speaking and listening. The other 40% is the exam.

There are three questions in this exam: Question 1(20 marks), Question 2(10 marks) and Question 3(20 marks).

How are you guys feeling? If anybody needs help, feel free to post. Discuss anything related to the exam and share ideas in this thread.

Here is a link to Past papers
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...&usp=drive_web

Advice on how to answer each question
    https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl...age-paper-tips
    Credit goes to metellaest for providing this resource.

If anybody has any useful websites, then feel free to message me and i will add them to the OP. Also it would be very appreciated if anybody has a link to the grade boundaries for each year.

Thanks and good luck!
    i have literally not revised for this exam because i didn't know how to but now i feel like i've made a big mistake because its tomorrow. i'm scared i've just ruined my grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batbat1306)

hi, do you know the exact marks you got for both your written coursework and your speaking and listening and would you be willing to share them pleaseee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    CW I got 47/50 and Speaking and Listening I got 29/30. However, I did the qualification in Year 10 last year as well and our coursework and speaking assessments were marked down to 43/50 and 27/30 (23/25) so I only managed to get a high B overall. Hopefully can get an A this time though!
    Wow, you still got really high marks, the grade boundaries must have been really high😁 Good luck this time round!!

ReputationRep:
    I have this tomorrow. I got full marks on the course work (S&L: 30/30, Persuasive 40/40, Descriptive 40/40, Speech 40/40 + 10 Bonus) so I'm not too worried. The exam is slightly easy in my opinion. I average around 38-45 marks on that so hopefully I can come out with at-least an A. I pray to God.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh it's today guys!!! I'm not too nervous but I just hope question 1 is nice to us! That's my weakest question but if I get a diary or a speech I should be okay! Praying it's not a formal report, if it is you will hear my tears from wherever you are in the country😂
    Good luck everyone, although you don't need it. You're all so intelligent and I know you can do this. Go in there and smash it!! You'll be coming out with As and A*s, I'm sure of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mlb37)
    Ahh it's today guys!!! I'm not too nervous but I just hope question 1 is nice to us! That's my weakest question but if I get a diary or a speech I should be okay! Praying it's not a formal report, if it is you will hear my tears from wherever you are in the country😂
    Good luck everyone, although you don't need it. You're all so intelligent and I know you can do this. Go in there and smash it!! You'll be coming out with As and A*s, I'm sure of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good Luck! To everyone (and myself also)

I feel really confidant today so hopefully I'll do well

No I CAN do well

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can!! That's a great attitude to have

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to everyone today! We WILL do well in this exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight15)
    Good Luck! To everyone (and myself also)

I feel really confidant today so hopefully I'll do well

No I CAN do well
    Haha Ikr? Good luck to you too.

We will do well!

My exams in the afternoon luckily xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.