Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR F211/F212 AS Biology Retake 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: How hard did you find F211?!
    Hard
    34.29%
    Okay
    52.50%
    Easy
    13.21%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09ekennedy)
    What did people put for the lilly experiment for growth with different moisture of soil?
    Umm I think I mentioned taking samples of lily plants with different concentrations of moisture, sample them at different times of the year, do replicates, use standard deviation or statistical test and um like a standardised technique. I really didn't know what to put

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    OH MY NO

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Naa , they have got to except that come on wow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessiecoo)
    1.4 X 250 = 350

then 350/1000= 0.35 (as it wanted it in grams)
    I got 0.14

(0.56 x 250) / 1000 = 0.14
    would I get method marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenPF)
    What did people write for a mutation in RNA changing 3D shape?
    Change in RNA will change nucleotide sequence, therefore when rna is changed to dna using reverse transcriptase the gene for the antigens will be change, when this gene is transcribed and translated at a ribosome the codons will code for a different amino acids, the primary structure of the antigen will be diffeent due to different sequence of amino acids and therefore tertiary strcuture and bonds in the polypetide will be different due to different r groups on the amino acid, i think i went a bit overboard tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09ekennedy)
    What did people put for the lilly experiment for growth with different moisture of soil?
    i dunno if mine is right but i went on the lines of grow the lillys in soils all with with different water contents and measure the height at which they grow and compare to the control

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for the last questions when they asked you to correct their statements???
    One was about amount of substrate and what a better word for that was
    The second was like productivity of animals
    The other was like freezing and explain that
    And um there was one about biodiversity and planning permission

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redman789)
    i dunno if mine is right but i went on the lines of grow the lillys in soils all with with different water contents and measure the height at which they grow and compare to the control
    ok, i wrote something similar like havig 6 sample with equal amounts of soil, and using different volumes of water water each sample everyday for 1.5 weeks, make sure there is a control (one without water), place in the same place with minimal light and a fairly stable temperature and then measure the lilly height

ReputationRep:
    Looooooool this paper was okay better than last year but I know I got the two pages on the biuret test wrong and the pages at the end on biodiversity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinksy)
    Umm I think I mentioned taking samples of lily plants with different concentrations of moisture, sample them at different times of the year, do replicates, use standard deviation or statistical test and um like a standardised technique. I really didn't know what to put
    I went along these lines too... I said to plant lilies of similar age and size in a known volume of soil with different levels of water content. I then said observe at intervals over a set amount of time e.g. every day for a week (but now I'm thinking this was ambitious haha). I then said ensure light intensity, temperature, type and pH of soil and CO2 concentration remains constant so only water is affecting the rate of growth. Threw in a repeat somewhere as well and a control.

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for the last questions when they asked you to correct their statements???
    I said concentration for the first
    Then said that inbreeding doesn't explicitly result in mutations but does reduce genetic variation which can cause all animals to be susceptible to a disease
    Then said that stuff about bacterial reproducing and growing at a slower rate due to less kinetic energy hence less food breakdown etc.
    And then I said that a high level of biodiversity would likely prevent them from getting permission to build on that area because it's favourable to preserve areas of high biodiversity

Idk if they're all right though

ReputationRep:
    What was the answer to the breakdown of fats question it was one mark and I spent 10 mins and know I got it wrong lol but the rest of the paper was fab

ReputationRep:
    Still hoping for very very low grade boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asad17)
    What was the answer to the breakdown of fats question it was one mark and I spent 10 mins and know I got it wrong lol but the rest of the paper was fab
    I talked about an inhibitor for lipase enzymes and stuff

ReputationRep:
    The planning permission i wrote the eia consider more than just sid, they consider likely impacts, size of development and if there are rare species in the habitat
    the prodcutiviity was about inbreeding and i said inbreeding reduces the gene pool and makes aniamls more susceptible to diseases due to loss of genetic variation
    the freezing one i put it retards enzyme actvitiy by slowing growth metabolism and reproduction, doesnt kill microogranism but as enzyme activity is retarded active site of enzyme will not collide with substrate food leading to less or no food decay

ReputationRep:
    65 for an A I think

ReputationRep:
    inhibits lipase which breaks down fats

ReputationRep:
    where is the unofficial mark scheme at ?? i really wanna how badly i did

ReputationRep:
    said about the drug being a non competitve inhibitor and binds to allosteric site so the lipase enzymes cannot break down fat due to change in tertiary structure therefore chaning active site so ctive site and substrate (fat) no longer complementary

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that grade boundaries are going to be high because everyone doing the exam is a resitter? Just some rumours about that were circulating...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marie0803)
    I said concentration for the first
    Then said that inbreeding doesn't explicitly result in mutations but does reduce genetic variation which can cause all animals to be susceptible to a disease
    Then said that stuff about bacterial reproducing and growing at a slower rate due to less kinetic energy hence less food breakdown etc.
    And then I said that a high level of biodiversity would likely prevent them from getting permission to build on that area because it's favourable to preserve areas of high biodiversity

Idk if they're all right though
    Omg yes same!! Thank god! I spent ages trying to figure them out! I put concentration, low genetic variation, and EIA would not approve it, and then reduce cellular activity of enzymes, making activation energy harder to reach for last one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.