Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolsul98)
    Q) "The diagram shows a particle of mass 0.5 kg resting on a rough plane inclined at 30 (degrees) to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the particle and the plane is 0.4. A of force of magnitude PN, acting directly up the plane, is just sufficient to prevent the particle sliding down the plane. Find the value of P."
    Do you know how to resolve forces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Yeah did that for Fgrav and added it to the Coefficient of friction but my answer is way off. P=0.768 in the mark scheme. Im not sure how they arrived to that answer

ReputationRep:
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...nbank/question 9c exercise 2cWhy is the (pX>n)>0.99 not the probability its greater or equal to as if they have a number of boats equal to the amount demanded is that not sufficient to meet all demands so why is it just greater than n as i thought it cud equal n too if n are demanded

ReputationRep:
    http://files.physicsandmathstutor.co...hapter%202.pdf
    s2 question 9c exercise 2c
    Why is the (pX>n)>0.99 not the probability its greater or equal to as if they have a number of boats equal to the amount demanded is that not sufficient to meet all demands so why is it just greater than n as i thought it cud equal n too if n are demanded
    If first link dont work its chapter 2 s2 http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...-solutionbank/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Wouldn't it just be P=0.4\cdot 0.5g\cos 30 + 0.5g\sin 30??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    Why is the (pX>n)>0.99 not the probability its greater or equal to as if they have a number of boats equal to the amount demanded is that not sufficient to meet all demands so why is it just greater than n as i thought it cud equal n too if n are demanded
    If first link dont work its chapter 2 s2 http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...-solutionbank/
    SeanFM You know stats, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    Handy tip, at the end of a pdf link if you type #page6 for example, it will take the reader to page 6 immediately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    I did exactly that! But the Mark scheme sais that P=0.768 i have no clue how

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    you're on the right lines
    The Bernouilli question is the most approachable out of the three you gave me; I can't even make a start on the others (I have only done C1-C4 so that may be why)! I'm not going anywhere near STEP II again until I have done at least 50 STEP I questions on my own (which won't happen until maybe March).

My aim is to do the relatively easier STEP I questions first so that I can pick up enough tricks to help me with the trickier ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolsul98)
    Q) "The diagram shows a particle of mass 0.5 kg resting on a rough plane inclined at 30 (degrees) to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the particle and the plane is 0.4. A of force of magnitude PN, acting directly up the plane, is just sufficient to prevent the particle sliding down the plane. Find the value of P."
    0.5gsin30-(0.4*0.5gcos30)=P

ReputationRep:
    No it's 0.5gsin30-(0.4*0.5gcos30). It's on the point of moving down the slope so friction is up the slope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    No it's 0.5gsin30-(0.4*0.5gcos30). It's on the point of moving down the slope so friction is up the slope
    Weird to determine in which direction it is if it's not actually moving. I'm now just assuming that it is going down the slope, so the friction force acts in the same direction as P before it is considered, and the sum is equal to the gravity pulling it down. Then just start considering P and the particle starts slowing down to a stop while friction still acts in the same direction.

ReputationRep:
    Weird to determine in which direction it is if it's not actually moving. I'm now just assuming that it is going down the slope, so the friction force acts in the same direction as P before it is considered, and the sum is equal to the gravity pulling it down. Then just start considering P and the particle starts slowing down to a stop.
    In the question it says P is the force that stops it from moving down the plane so the friction is in the same direction as p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    The Bernouilli question is the most approachable out of the three you gave me; I can't even make a start on the others (I have only done C1-C4 so that may be why)! I'm not going anywhere near STEP II again until I have done at least 50 STEP I questions on my own (which won't happen until maybe March).

My aim is to do the relatively easier STEP I questions first so that I can pick up enough tricks to help me with the trickier ones.
    And at the end of this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    And at the end of this year?
    Well I find STEP I questions much more manageable this time around than how I found them when I first learnt C3/C4 half a year ago. I can round up all the 'nicer' questions and then work my way up the difficulty level- essentially tackling STEP 'step by step' (apologies to Zacken for copying his pun).

My aim is to do as many STEP questions as possible until I start university maths next September/October to make the transition from A level to uni as smooth as possible.

But MAT is more important than STEP at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    But MAT is more important than STEP at the moment!
    You're not applying to Oxford, are you? -.-

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I have a question.
    How do you remember all the trig identities and differentiation methods (chain, product and quotent rule) (for Edexcel c3)
    I find myself always having to look for the identity so I know which one to use

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asinghj)
    Guys, I have a question.
    How do you remember all the trig identities and differentiation methods (chain, product and quotent rule) (for Edexcel c3)
    Practice.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I have a question.
    Practice a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I have a question.
    I have perfect recall.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Practice.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.