TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Do other unis give out clinical handbooks? As far as basic exams and signs go's, our uni handbook is excellent, only needed to use others 3rd year onward for diagnostics but even still, its handy to have around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks you really have reassured me, I opened OHCM today and had a gander at some of the signs and OMG was I overwhelmed...
    I was gonna recommend OHCM for history taking so glad someone mentioned it. The history pages for each major system at the front are useful for cardinals and red flags to ask about. Will help tailor a general history to a more system specific one. Eg for cardio always ask about SOB, SOBE, palpitations, chest pain, leg swelling, syncope.

e: Also, identifying loads of signs is almost the entire point of all of a medicine degree, so don't worry about knowing all the signs for all the diseases immediately (especially pre-clinical). There's also a difference between signs you get in a written ("a 65 year old man with diabetes presents with central crushing chest pain raidiating to the left arm, describing his pain as a fist placed in the centre of his chest...") and the signs you get in real life ("I have a cold" ... for NSTEMI).

(Original post by lcsurfer)
    I want to avoid the first week of peoples smug stories about their exotic electives while I worked/did A&E in a DGH

Hahaha, glad to see I'm not the only one who is allergic (sorry, intolerant) to classmates' smugness. Good luck with final year!

ReputationRep:
    Given my GMC number with the statement 'this does not make you a doctor yet' haha... Also final year starts officially tomorrow (terrifying), but also I want to avoid the first week of peoples smug stories about their exotic electives while I worked/did A&E in a DGH

This made me laugh as well lol.

"Hi, this is your GMC number. BY THE WAY YOU ARE NOT A DOCTOR YET FYI" yeh OK thanks GMC

ReputationRep:
    Given my GMC number with the statement 'this does not make you a doctor yet' haha... Also final year starts officially tomorrow (terrifying), but also I want to avoid the first week of peoples smug stories about their exotic electives while I worked/did A&E in a DGH

Ah this is my fourth week back and people have stopped talking about them, but the exotic photos on facebook are still being uploaded...though I'm not bitter or anything!

I registered for the Oriel system today and have already encountered a couple of problems, which does not instill confidence in this whole application process ha. Good luck this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxxie)
    Ah this is my fourth week back and people have stopped talking about them, but the exotic photos on facebook are still being uploaded...though I'm not bitter or anything!

I registered for the Oriel system today and have already encountered a couple of problems, which does not instill confidence in this whole application process ha. Good luck this year
    yeah haha... I drew a picture of me on a post it note in A&E on a tropical island to show off.

I did that too, it won't let me go past the part where you input the GMC number in as it goes 'THIS IS NOT A REAL NUMBER'. the joy! Very happy with my decile ranking though, debating looking at AFP's :/ How has this happened so fast, 3 years have gone too quick*

ReputationRep:
    New 1st year UCL med student here! Can finally post in this thread haha

ReputationRep:
    After so much SJT practice I keep feeling like I'm living in an SJT scenario

You have just clerked a patient on the surgical assessment unit. He requires an intimate examination but you are not confident in performing this procedure. You have scheduled teaching in 10 minutes but there are no doctors on the ward to handover to. You also have not yet had the chance to have lunch. Rank the following actions in order of appropriateness:

A: Handover to the PA student who happens to be nearby and hope he deals with it

B: Wander through the ward asking all the nurses if they've seen any doctors around for however long it takes

C: Leave for teaching and come back later; the patient almost definitely wasn't dying

D: Give the notes to literally anyone and just go home

E: Play on your phone in the sluice until the problem somehow solves itself...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    After so much SJT practice I keep feeling like I'm living in an SJT scenario

You have just clerked a patient on the surgical assessment unit. He requires an intimate examination but you are not confident in performing this procedure. You have scheduled teaching in 10 minutes but there are no doctors on the ward to handover to. You also have not yet had the chance to have lunch. Rank the following actions in order of appropriateness:

A: Handover to the PA student who happens to be nearby and hope he deals with it

B: Wander through the ward asking all the nurses if they've seen any doctors around for however long it takes

C: Leave for teaching and come back later; the patient almost definitely wasn't dying

D: Give the notes to literally anyone and just go home

E: Play on your phone in the sluice until the problem somehow solves itself...
    Who's supervising you/supposed to see the patient or be presented to? Bleep them & say you've clerked & your plan would be xyz but you need to leave for teaching?

Or if you're just doing a clerking for personal learning then C)?

( My life is a Paeds themed 3 children juggling SJT right now! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    Anybody from up north able to give any advice on deciding between where I should set my sights for F1 in terms Leeds/Sheffield/Newcastle? Both in terms of living there and (if any knowledge) on hospitals etc.? Trying to flee London and want a change of scenery...
    Also if anybody wants insights into London, drop me a message and I can answer questions :-)
    Can also help with living in Newcastle (I've not had any placements in Newcastle hospitals but I can tell you about hospitals elsewhere in Northern eg. James Cook, Darlington, Durham, South Tyneside, Sunderland).

I would also like some info about Leeds and Sheffield if anyone can help, also about Nottingham and Lincoln

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverArch)
    Can also help with living in Newcastle (I've not had any placements in Newcastle hospitals but I can tell you about hospitals elsewhere in Northern eg. James Cook, Darlington, Durham, South Tyneside, Sunderland).

I would also like some info about Leeds and Sheffield if anyone can help, also about Nottingham and Lincoln
    Its a year off for me, but do you recommend those areas? I'm thinking of heading somewhere up north (Was looking at the Sheffield deanery last night) in order to be able to afford to save some money and start a retirement plan, given that I'll be 30 and not paid in to any pension yet :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Haven't the Yorkshire deaneries all merhed now?

ReputationRep:
    Not according to their website. I looked the other day and they were still separate. Are they planning on merging?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Who's supervising you/supposed to see the patient or be presented to? Bleep them & say you've clerked & your plan would be xyz but you need to leave for teaching?

Or if you're just doing a clerking for personal learning then C)?

( My life is a Paeds themed 3 children juggling SJT right now! )
    This is an SJT! They aren't going to let you put a sensible answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Not according to their website. I looked the other day and they were still separate. Are they planning on merging?
    My understanding is that Yorkshire and the Humber is one UoA on the application form, but once you're allocated to Yorkshire you then get allocated your region (North and East, West or South). So on the one hand you have more time to decide which area you prefer if you're unsure, but on the other you're more likely to end up with the region you really wanted to avoid than you were a couple of years ago..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverArch)
    My understanding is that Yorkshire and the Humber is one UoA on the application form, but once you're allocated to Yorkshire you then get allocated your region (North and East, West or South). So on the one hand you have more time to decide which area you prefer if you're unsure, but on the other you're more likely to end up with the region you really wanted to avoid than you were a couple of years ago..
    Oh, that sounds much less appealing now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    This is an SJT! They aren't going to let you put a sensible answer!
    Good point!

The GP exam lets you justify yourself/complain about the scenario!

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me, or can anyone else not be ****ed with clinical years. Legit is this just 3 years of shadowing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Is it just me, or can anyone else not be ****ed with clinical years. Legit is this just 3 years of shadowing
    Welcome to my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    I felt like that, now I just tend to disappear and do my own thing and try to make it I teresting/worthwhile. Hoping time speeds up a little though.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.