Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Course: Theoretical Physics Msci or MPhys
    Universities: University of Birmingham, Durham, St Andrews, University of York and University of Glasgow
    GCSE grades: 3 A*s 2 A's 4 B's 1 C
    AS grades achieved: AAAB in Physics, Maths, Computer Science and History respectively.
    A2 grades predicted: A*A*A in Physics, Maths and Computer Science respectively.
    Extra curricular: In a few bands playing lead electric guitar. Prefect. Write physics articles for fun and read physics material such as books.
    Other: Doing an AS in further maths this year and have a prediction of A for that.
    Offers: Glasgow with a conditional of AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by btea)
    I have applied for Philosophy at Cambridge! How are you feeling about Oxbridge interviews? I went to a preparation day at Keble college the other week and the most important thing that I learnt was to precisely define the terms in the question before even attempting to answer (e.g justified) They also advised that you offer an answer, criticise your answer and then critique that criticism, as it were.
    I'm feeling quite nervous as it stands but I'm frantically reading so hopefully will feel a little more prepared in December! How about you? Ah thanks that's really useful, I'll take note, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CutieTootsie)
    Yup! Slowly losing my will to keep calm and carry on - BMAT prep is slowing me down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How did it go for you? I swear I died a little inside...

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to:
    Leicester
    Nottingham
    Leeds
    Bath
    Reading

The course I want to do is French and Politics. At Leicester and Nottingham, I'll do beginner's Spanish as well!

My predicted grades are three As. I sent my application off yesterday and I'm just waiting for offers!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by rosalinedk)
    How did it go for you? I swear I died a little inside...
    Mate, past tense for me.
    I.am.dead.

ReputationRep:
    Final Chapter:
    Liverpool, asking for 32 IB points at least a 5 in Maths(S/L)
    Manchester, asking for 32 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
    Sheffield, asking for 36 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
    Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU), asking for 26 IB points
    Leeds, asking for 35 IB points, 6,6,5 in higher level subjects and at least a 4 in English

So that is 5 out 5.
    I will take my time to firm. Leaning towards Liverpool and Manchester.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by emwanza)
    Final Chapter:
    Liverpool, asking for 32 IB points at least a 5 in Maths(S/L)
    Manchester, asking for 32 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
    Sheffield, asking for 36 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
    Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU), asking for 26 IB points
    Leeds, asking for 35 IB points, 6,6,5 in higher level subjects and at least a 4 in English

So that is 5 out 5.
    I will take my time to firm. Leaning towards Liverpool and Manchester.
    Don't pick a firm until April. There's no advantage to picking early - it just removes your ability to change your mind over the next 6 months.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Course: History, or Archaeology & Ancient History and History (joint honours)
    Universities: Birmingham, Derby, Bangor
    GCSE grades: A* AAAABBBBC and a Distinction in BTEC music
    AS grades (predicted/achieved): Predicted: BBBB. Achieved:ABCD
    A2 grades (predicted/achieved): Predicted: AABB (inc. EPQ)
    Extra curricular: Archery, DofE Bronze, student ambassadors, I've won several local writing competitions,

Offers: ALL RECEIVED AS OF 1/12
    EDITS:
    Bangor - received 16/11; conditional 104 UCAS points in 2 A levels
    Derby - Received 17/11; Conditional, but unconditional if I make it my firm. :happy2:
    Birmingham - History; AAB, or ABB if I get an A in the EPQ
    - Archaeology & ancient history, and history (Joint) - ABB, or ABC with an A in the EPQ <<--- my preferred choice.

ReputationRep:
    Name: Chloe
    Course: Computer Science
    Where? Newcastle, Northumbria, Loughborough and Sheffield
    GCSE Grades + subjects: A* French, A* Maths, A* Further Maths, A Latin, A German, A Biology, A Chemistry, A Physics, B Geography, B Computing, B English Lit, B English Lang
    AS grades+Subjects: A in Maths but hoping to resit C1 in order to push up my UMS as I only just scraped a B, C in French (dropped at A2), C in Chemistry, C in Computer Science and D in General Studies
    A2 Predicted/Achieved: ABB but hoping to achieve A*AB
    Extra curricular: Cadets, volunteering, summer schools, DofE, Peer mentoring, teaching myself guitar and keyboard, play in a marching band. Gaining BTECs in Aviation Studies and Music
    Offers? Application sent 21st Oct. Offer from Northumbria: 21st Oct - 120 UCAS Points
    Acknowledgements from Northmbria, Newcastle and Loughborough on the 22nd
    Offer from Loughborough on the 24th - ABB
    Acknowledgement from Sheffield on the 24th Oct
    Newcastle invitation to Comp Sci Admissions Day, no offer yet but I'm applying through PARTNERS so it might take a bit longer anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Name: Vic
    Course: Economics, Economics and politics
    Where: Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Bath, King's
    GCSEs: 4A*,4A,1B
    IB (predicted): 41-42/45
    Offers: Bath 36(6,6,7 include HL maths), Warwick 38(4 in HL maths)

ReputationRep:
    Name: Sabitha
    Course: Law (going to do the foundation year)
    Where? West London, Greenwich, St mary, GSM London, London school of business and management
    GCSE Grades + subjects: 1 A, 1.5B, 4C
    AS grades+Subjects:D in English, C in Media Studies
    A2 Predicted/Achieved: CC. I'm also studying an As level as well.
    Extra curricular: Student librarian, helped in primary schools, etc
    Offers? Sent application 21st Oct.
    St mary (112 pts)
    West London (72 pts)
    GSM London (want me to pass my As so at least grade E)
    London school of business and management (unconditional)

ReputationRep:
    Received my third unconditional offer for postgraduate study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Don't pick a firm until April. There's no advantage to picking early - it just removes your ability to change your mind over the next 6 months.
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Course: Politics
    Universities: Birmingham, Newcastle, Queens Belfast, Southampton and Lancaster
    GCSE grades: 5A's 5B's and a C
    AS grades (predicted/achieved): A in Law and a D in Gov & Pol (retaking Unit 2 as I messed up the exam)
    A2 grades (predicted/achieved): AAB predicted but aiming for AAA
    Extra curricular: Nothing really

ReputationRep:
    Received all 5 of my offers so now I can stop constantly refreshing track! Now to get my 3As!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notonlyme)
    Received all 5 of my offers so now I can stop constantly refreshing track! Now to get my 3As!
    Important advice heere about making Firm/Insurance choices here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...urance-choices

The most important bit is that there is no need to rush into making choices right now - you have months to make this decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Important advice heere about making Firm/Insurance choices here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...urance-choices

The most important bit is that there is no need to rush into making choices right now - you have months to make this decision!
    Thanks for the advice but don't worry; I wasn't planning on making any final decisions for a good couple of months although I do have some idea of my firm and insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Course: Natural Science
    Universities: Bath, Durham, Lancaster, Nottingham, York
    GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*AAAAAB
    AS grades (predicted/achieved): /
    A2 grades (predicted/achieved): A* physics, A* chemistry, A further maths (and already got an A in maths but retaking)
    Extra curricular: County XC & school captain, Music (grade 7), gold DofE
    Offers: A*A Nottingham, Interview york, unconditional lancaster, AA bath, durham pending

Did anyone else get an unconditional from lancaster? they're surprisingly common...

ReputationRep:
    Course: Law and Politics
    Universities: Manchester, Cardiff, QMUL, Swansea, Plymouth
    GCSE grades: A*AAAABBBCC
    AS grades (predicted/achieved): ABCCC
    A2 grades (predicted/achieved): A* English Literature, A English Language, A History
    Extra curricular: Performed at Wembley Arena/Royal Albert Hall, lots of drama and dance, tutor Spanish to children
    Offers: None yet!!
    I got my Track login details today. When do you reckon I should expect my first few offers?

UPDATE: Got my first offer today from Plymouth! hoping the others will reply soon!
    UPDATE: Received offers from Plymouth, Swansea and my number one, Cardiff!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Location - London
    Course - pharmacy
    Where - kcl, reading, Kent (Medway), Portsmouth, and Brighton
    GCSE grades : A*A*AAAAAABBB
    As grades/subjects - psychology (A), Biology (C), Maths (C), chemistry (C)
    A2 predictions : A* (psychology) B(biology)B (chemistry)
    Offers : sent application this week

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.