The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idfk_)
    Year 11. Gr8. Woo.

Eh I'm doing:

AQA Triple Science

AQA History- Modern World

English Lit- An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol&Macbeth. Also, poetry. Fun times.

English Lang- not even covered anything on this yet:/

AQA French- legit the best GCSE subject, imo.

AQA(?)Catering and Hospitality- food&much coursework.

Edexcel Maths- Targeted a 9, no chance.
    You never know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    You never know
    Aha, I guess that's true. Miracles can happen..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idfk_)
    Year 11. Gr8. Woo.

Eh I'm doing:

AQA Triple Science

AQA History- Modern World

English Lit- An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol&Macbeth. Also, poetry. Fun times.

English Lang- not even covered anything on this yet:/

AQA French- legit the best GCSE subject, imo.

AQA(?)Catering and Hospitality- food&much coursework.

Edexcel Maths- Targeted a 9, no chance.
    A 9's not impossible, my teacher told me I couldn't get a 9 and an 8 would be what I would probably get but I really wonna prove her wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To anyone that has done their ISA's what does it entail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)
    A 9's not impossible, my teacher told me I couldn't get a 9 and an 8 would be what I would probably get but I really wonna prove her wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lmfao, aye I really hope you get a 9.

ReputationRep:
    Hi my name is Ajanth and I am doing AQA for all sciences so this may not help those doing different boards.
    I've done physics and biology isa paper 1 and 2. Pretty easy. Just need to do a graph and table which basically everyone gets full marks. You will be given time in class to fill a research sheet based on the context given to you by the school. Physics is about friction and how different surfaces can affect speed. Biology is about rate of respiration. For both of these you need to plan an experiment and know what you would do. You won't actually do your experiment but instead everyone does the same experiment in class. Based on these results you will need to fill your table and draw a graph. Just look up mark schemes, past papers( a lot of questions are repeated every two years so I was prepared) also revise key terminology(just search e.g. physics terms. Definitions) hope this helps you. I am yet to do chemistry but I know that it involves rate of reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ajanth.T)
    Hi my name is Ajanth and I am doing AQA for all sciences so this may not help those doing different boards.
    I've done physics and biology isa paper 1 and 2. Pretty easy. Just need to do a graph and table which basically everyone gets full marks. You will be given time in class to fill a research sheet based on the context given to you by the school. Physics is about friction and how different surfaces can affect speed. Biology is about rate of respiration. For both of these you need to plan an experiment and know what you would do. You won't actually do your experiment but instead everyone does the same experiment in class. Based on these results you will need to fill your table and draw a graph. Just look up mark schemes, past papers( a lot of questions are repeated every two years so I was prepared) also revise key terminology(just search e.g. physics terms. Definitions) hope this helps you. I am yet to do chemistry but I know that it involves rate of reaction.
    Every year, there's three different ISAs for every science. Schools pick different ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowystar)
    Hi I am Snowystar and I am in year 11. I really love to stargaze and I really love history with science and maths. I also enjoy reading, especially the Lorien Legacies (now completed). I have already done a couple of GCSEs and an AS Level (which was really tricky and done in the third of a time of a normal student) and I really want to get the highest grades possible. Below is a list of the GCSEs I have taken and the exam board:

Maths (AQA)
    Triple science which is Biology Chemistry and Physics (AQA)
    English literature (AQA)
    English language (AQA)
    Geography (AQA A)
    History (AQA)
    German (AQA)
    Graphics or graphic design (OCR)

GCSEs I have already taken
    Citizenship (I got a B, taken in year 8)
    Statistics (Got a B, taken in year 10 - one mark off an A 😭)

My target grades are as follows:

Maths 9
    English (both) 7+ pushing into 8
    Sciences (all 3) A*
    Geography A
    History A
    German A
    Graphics A

My likely grades
    Maths 8+
    English 7
    Sciences A*3
    Geography B1
    History A3
    German B1
    Graphics A3

I definitely do not feel ready to take my GCSEs especially the new ones since they are so much harder than the old ones. Hopefully I will get good enough GCSEs to achieve my dream of becoming an astronomer. 😀

The subject I am suffering most with is German right now. I have to learn 120 words a week to help with my vocab as it is my weakest subject (I am a pass but would like to achieve the highest grades). If anyone knows any revision tips for German please help.

My strongest subjects are the sciences and maths so I could help a few people there. I'm ok at all of my other subjects too.

Many thanks Snowystar
    I do aqa German too and I find memorise really helps for learning the vocab ( there's an aqua German GCSE vocab course) because you can do it whenever in short sessions. Have you started the coursework?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone found out what they got in their math pixel exam (mark and number)?
    I got a 7.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In year 11, hoping to get these grades:

Maths - B
    English Lit - B
    English Lang - B
    Business Studies - A/A*
    Computer Science - A*
    Biology - B
    Chemistry - B
    Physics - B/A
    History - B/A
    RE - B/A

My favourite subjects are computer science & history

ReputationRep:
    How many papers are we doing for AQA english lit and lang? And what are the 'themes' of them. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkypaz123)
    How many papers are we doing for AQA english lit and lang? And what are the 'themes' of them. Thanks
    There are two each, if I remember correctly, although I'm unsure how they differ.

(Original post by iHammmy)
    In year 11, hoping to get these grades:

Maths - B
    English Lit - B
    English Lang - B
    Business Studies - A/A*
    Computer Science - A*
    Biology - B
    Chemistry - B
    Physics - B/A
    History - B/A
    RE - B/A

My favourite subjects are computer science & history
    Cool, are you planning on taking CS further, ie. to A-level or otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    There are two each, if I remember correctly, although I'm unsure how they differ.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)

Yep, hoping to do it at A-levle and then study something computer related at uni.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, hoping to do it at A-levle and then study something computer related at uni.

What about you?
    Pretty much same, I'm planning to do Maths/CS-based A-levels, then a Maths/CS-based degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Pretty much same, I'm planning to do Maths/CS-based A-levels, then a Maths/CS-based degree!
    Nice, what exam board are you using for computer science GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Nice, what exam board are you using for computer science GCSE?
    I didn't take CS for GCSE unfortunately, as my school didn't offer it. I'm planning on going to a partner school (in combination with my current school) to take A-level CS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I didn't take CS for GCSE unfortunately, as my school didn't offer it. I'm planning on going to a partner school (in combination with my current school) to take A-level CS.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Good luck
    Thanks! Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkypaz123)
    For English lit:
    Paper 1 is Shakespeare and the 19th Century Novel
    Paper 2 is the Modern Text/Prose and Poetry

For English Lang:
    Paper 1 is reading and writing Fiction
    Paper 2 is reading and writing non-fiction or literary non-fiction

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.