Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Economics Synoptic 2888 June 09 - YOUR GAME PLAN?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dynamic1)
    Poor time allocation cost me the grade I deserved oh dear.question 3 I didnt complete....the last question I had to finish asap as I was told "you have 5minutes remaining!" I'm doing it in Jan on the new spec.

Economics of Work and Leisure should be a nice paper on the 18th.
    Always start with the big questions, the data analysis is too time consuming and not worth much.

Good luck with W&L, I hate that paper, thank god I didn't have to retake it. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbuttercupx)
    Seems like a few people were unsure how to get the 9 marks. I'm not sure but hopefully at least 5 because the diagram will be worth a few marks. I did go on to say how supply will decrease in the long run so I don't know about marks :/ I'm not really sure how the marks are awarded to be honest.
    I think they are less generous with diagrams on 2888. On the AS modules you could easily get 5 marks for a diagram (ie you get marks for labelling it correctly etc) but on 2888 paper I think they want more.

Hope it won't be too bad, I'm dreading results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virus.exe)
    Yeah that's what I was wondering. I was scared at first that it was what you were meant to write about and I was like wtf?
    same here i thought i got it wrong!

ReputationRep:
    ahh that paper went alright but i completely messed up on the subsidy question, didnt know which direction to go in, in the end wrote like page and 1/3, no where near 15 marks worth probs wont even get me into level 3, apart from that i think the paper went alright. it was very similar to tutor2u, but i left my revision to the very very last minute, i.e. last night til 2am, so my answers werent that amazing, grrrrr!

ReputationRep:
    I think the exam went alright, the toolkit's mock actually predicted the questions, so well done to them. I think this year's grade boundary may go up, not a good news for me.

Anyway, just to check with you guys on diagrams:
    1b) S+D diagram, with S shift outwards, also mentioned the elasticity of demand for butter.
    2)maximium price diagram and its disadvantages
    3) s+D diagram, supply to the right
    4) Supply for permit contract and increase in demand causing higher prices, also for alternative I used a pollution tax diagram, MSC MPC those sort of things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7ate9)
    thats what i thought, i really wanted to stick in the pros and cons of biofuels somewhere but none of the questions would have suited it (maybe i interpreted the questions wrong)
    I was thinking exactly the same. It would've been so much easier to write for the pros and cons but hey the exam might have seemed straight forward but looking at the questions in detail, I think they expected something different than what most people are inerpretating. Anyone agree?

Also question for question 1a, did anyone find that there was maybe a bit too much to write? I felt as if I'd lose marks if I didn't include every relevant point::confused:

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't bad but I don't think it was as great as people on here are saying. Number 3 annoyed me when it said "comment on" instead of "discuss". I still don't see what the difference is between these two. I don't know if I put enough evaluation in the 20 marker. For question 3 I should have learned more about subsidies (2882).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta316)
    It wasn't bad but I don't think it was as great as people on here are saying. Number 3 annoyed me when it said "comment on" instead of "discuss". I still don't see what the difference is between these two. I don't know if I put enough evaluation in the 20 marker. For question 3 I should have learned more about subsidies (2882).
    The question said comment on the case for subsidies to encourage farmers production of energy crops.

It's asking to say how subsidies can encourage the farmers production.

ReputationRep:
    Thought it was a really nice paper, a bit wordy but thats due to the pressue and the fact that its such an important part of our course. Felt that A2 have gone that way could either of been bewteen C and A.

There was so much you could write about, but hopefully went well. Fair tutour2u, got it abooustley perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanoi)
    :cry:
    Oh mate...please!!

Was it honestly that bad???

What were you planning to go on to do, and where (unis)?

Personally, I wouldn't be upset over it...what's done, cannot be undone. Plus, you don't know how lenient the unis may or may not be.

I'm sure the rest of the stuff you wrote in the exam probably wasn't all shizzle. You seemed like you pretty much knew your stuff well on this thread to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virus.exe)
    The question said comment on the case for subsidies to encourage farmers production of energy crops.

It's asking to say how subsidies can encourage the farmers production.
    I disagree, I think it was asking it as a whole:

comment on the case for subsidies to encourage farmers production of energy crops.

aka Comment on the case of energy crop production being encouraged by subsidies , as in comment on whether we want energy crops to be encouraged.

Does anyone agree, otherwise i've mucked up.

edit: I see how it can be perceived that they are asking for whether subsidies are effecting in encouraging biofuel production. I really hope they wont totally disregard my answer to this paper if this is the real intention of the question

I suppose i was so hooked on the tutor2u mock that i immediately just thought EVALUATE BIOFUELS, its a bit harsh of them to just say, how good are subsidies for encouraging stuff..

ARGH SOMEONE REASSURE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick-33)

comment on the case for subsidies to encourage farmers production of energy crops.

aka Comment on the case of energy crop production being encouraged by subsidies , as in comment on whether we want energy crops to be encouraged.

edit: I see how it can be perceived that they are asking for whether subsidies are effecting in encouraging biofuel production. I really hope they wont totally disregard my answer to this paper if this is the real intention of the question

I suppose i was so hooked on the tutor2u mock that i immediately just thought EVALUATE BIOFUELS, its a bit harsh of them to just say, how good are subsidies for encouraging stuff..

ARGH SOMEONE REASSURE
    I did the same as you, I think we went the right way, everyone I've spoken to did this anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Liquid)
    Oh mate...please!!

Was it honestly that bad???

What were you planning to go on to do, and where (unis)?

Personally, I wouldn't be upset over it...what's done, cannot be undone. Plus, you don't know how lenient the unis may or may not be.

I'm sure the rest of the stuff you wrote in the exam probably wasn't all shizzle. You seemed like you pretty much knew your stuff well on this thread to me!
    I have calmed down a lot now, I've just come to accept it. Hopefully extra marks from retakes will help to reduce the UMS I need.

See profile for UCAS stuff, doubt they will be lenient at all, either I get in or I dont.

Last two questions were ok but I will lose a lot of marks on the first two (1a,b ,2).

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting worried about how I did in this. I don't think I evaluated enough. It makes no sense to me that evaluation is more important than sound economic analysis in an economics exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lolade)
    I did the same as you, I think we went the right way, everyone I've spoken to did this anyway
    That's good to know
    I'm waiting to hear what vinsta wrote! Whatever he writes goes

If this question is the downfall of my economics a level i will be sooo annoyed.

ReputationRep:

I did the same. I don't see how it would be worth so many marks otherwise. Most of the points made in favour/against biofuels could be used as reasons for having the subsidy so it should be ok *fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    Overall wasn't too bad. Really annoyed with myself for not finishing in time though, needed 10 minutes and I would have been completely satisfied. Is the conclusion worth a chunk of marks for the last qu? I'm pretty sure it is and I didn't get time to put one down. My strategy for last question was:

Explain ETS (Tradable permits blabla)
    Explain Negative externalities in terms of co2 and market failure and diagram
    ETS diagram of cap 2010 and 2012
    Explain how ETS cuts the externality by steadily increasin MPC so that it will equal MSC eventually
    Explain disadvantages
    Give another method of dealing with externalities - Tax, benefits of it and diagram
    Disadvantages of Tax

"Economics candidates, you have 5 minutes left."

PANIC

Talked a LITTLE (2 sentences) on another policy of banning pollution
    Tried to conclude, but ended with "Therefore to conclude, I would say"

"PENS DOWN"

How much did I potentially lose on that question guys?

Also I see theres some speculation for Q3.I basically gave the diagram, explained it. Drew Negative externality diagram, argued it reduces externality in terms of carbon, then talked about crutzers view (biofuels are worse because of the nitrogen fertilisers) said how this means that biofuels are actually worse and the msc would be further to the left than that of Co2. Concluded saying that if crutzer was correct then encouraging biofuel production by subsidy is severely damaging as the welfare loss is great. Even if he is not correct then the affect on global inflation by switching out of food production to increased biofuels should be taken into account and may increase absolute poverty levels bla bla

Tbh I think Q3 was my best one. Q2 was good. 1b I showed a shift to the right explained it then said in long term supply would shift to the left because the lower prices caused by intervention stocks will act as a disincentive for farmers to produce at the current level and will cut output thereby increasing price in the long run when intervention stocks have all been bought up, they also have inelastic supply as theres considerably time lags between market forces and agricultural change in output

Don't know if that right tbh but I thought just a diagram showing shift to the right was definately not worth 9. Max 5 i think, so I tried to find something else to pick up on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanoi)
    I have calmed down a lot now, I've just come to accept it. Hopefully extra marks from retakes will help to reduce the UMS I need.

See profile for UCAS stuff, doubt they will be lenient at all, either I get in or I dont.

Last two questions were ok but I will lose a lot of marks on the first two (1a,b ,2).
    Oh wow! I see what you mean now .. yes, I would want to hurl myself out the window if I were you. I suppose they may or may not let you in? LSE I don't think so...but Bath (to protect their reputation, and to not want to go into clearing etc.)...although, all unis give out more places than stated. It's hard to say.

You may just marginally scrape an A depending on how well you have done on other modules. However, ideally .. you should have answered all questions on this paper!

Congrats on your LSE offer anyway .. whether or not you do or do not make it. I would kill for that offer, and sooo many people apply but don't even get an offer.

ReputationRep:

ARGH SOMEONE REASSURE
    eh- i think i interpreted it the same way as you....i said pros and cons of subsidies and i said pros and cons of encouraging energy crops. to ask15 marks purely on subsidises is a bit stupid i think....

ReputationRep:
    The new spec Unit 4 seems to have the same format of pre release stimulus as 2888. Although it's no longer limited to European Union, but it is now foucused on The Global Economy...

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publicati..._Unit_F585.pdf

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.