Official E3 Discussion Thread Watch

FyreFight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Microsoft really stole the show for me. Whilst Sony had some good stuff - GT5 looked impressive, MAG should be incredible if it works, and I suppose FFXIV/GoW is nice for people who like that sort of thing - Unchartered 2 looked unremarkable and we already knew about that anyway. The rest was worthless crap for handhelds.

MS, meanwhile, showcased blockbuster after blockbuster and had some potentially revolutionary tech demos.
mprules
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Microsoft do seem to be going down the incremental update route to be fair with Jasper/falcon etc

I would say that with Natal if it works (still a big if) will easily give the 360 a few years more life as a huge geek this has me excited. Proper facial recognition alone is a cool feature
thewait
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FyreFight)
Microsoft really stole the show for me. Whilst Sony had some good stuff - GT5 looked impressive, MAG should be incredible if it works, and I suppose FFXIV is nice for people who like that sort of thing - Unchartered 2 looked unremarkable and we already knew about that anyway. The rest was worthless crap for handhelds.

MS, meanwhile, showcased blockbuster after blockbuster and had some potentially revolutionary tech demos.
You're missing out Modnation Racers, that looked impressive imo, reminded me off Super Mario racing on the N64.

Also GOW3 looked impressive any idea on when we get to play the demo? I know game is coming out round March '10.
Sultanp
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Phalanx)
GT5 also doesn't have auto breaking and a rewind function. :o:
Why on earth would I want auto breaking? Rewind function would be sweet though.

Turn 10 were right when they said Forza 3 is the definitive racing game of this generation. Too bad they were correct for only 24 hours.
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Forza 2 wasn't that good tbh.

Only advantage it had over GT, is you can create your own designs etc...

That's probably about it.

Football badges on the bonnet of cars in forza was pretty awesome.

I can see GT beating Forza, still.
estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Plus when Natal does ship, itll be shipping with all new xboxes, the basic model being cheaper then the wii, and all models being a lot cheaper then the PS3.
Eh? When did they say this? IIrc they only said that it would be compatible with all future xboxes.
JAKstriked
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't get the big deal with being able to control a console by jumping up and down and waving around magic wands. It's less efficient and makes you look stupider than using a standard controller. I'm unsure as to how FPS work with natal.
Stef90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The last guardian looks really interesting, can't wait !
revop
Report 9 years ago
Ok all that matters is that SONY WON

M$ put on a good conference tho, Nintendo's conference was awful imo
mprules
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
actually lol.

ok lets assume you are right(i think who won is rather dependant on your gaming pref) why did SONY WIN?

or is it just because OMGSNY R AWSME PLS HAV MY BABIES sort of thing?

i dont mean to flame/seem like a fanboi but statements like that ask for it.
pinkpenguin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Posted it in PS3-soc too, but I thought I'd stick it here.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...harted-2/50337

New Uncharted 2 trailer. :coma:

Looks immense. Game of the Year. :yes:
Llynus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JAKstriked)
I don't get the big deal with being able to control a console by jumping up and down and waving around magic wands. It's less efficient and makes you look stupider than using a standard controller. I'm unsure as to how FPS work with natal.
I'd like to see stuff like that implemented for parts of normal games, like in Vegas 2 you can give voice commands to your AI team.

Maybe with Natal have standard controls, but when you make a throwing action it identifies it as you wanting to through a grenade, that kinda thing. I agree as a full control system, mocap is crap but I'd like to see some partial implementation of it.
Jayk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JAKstriked)
I'm unsure as to how FPS work with natal.
Short answer - FPS probably won't ever fully use it. Chances are that Natal will - at the most superficial level, at least - become like an arcade stick or a steering wheel. It's a different way of controlling certain games and FPS is unlikely to fall into that group of 'certain games' that Natal can be fully integrated with. Sports games all work, party ga

I do believe Jehuty had an interesting idea concerning its use with FPS - he suggested that it be used not for movement and looking control, but for other, marginally more gimmicky things like thrusting the controller forward to melee, or using it to perform some kind of ridiculous victory dance that is fully mapped onto your in-game avatar.

If they can pull of Natal working in glorious harmony with the 360 controller...Jesus, that's a fantastic prospect... :woo:
Untitled258
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's no reason why Natal couldn't work with the controller tbh. I cant think of a reason why it couldn't.
bigmo7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have to admit even tho i'm a bit of a Sony Fanboy i was amazed at Project Natal, the stuff they can do with it! OMG!
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think an FPS with Natal could be soooo funny. Imagine hordes of kids crouching or in the prone position in their front-room, scampering around, trying not to get killed whilst avoiding the perilous sofa.
bigmo7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
I think an FPS with Natal could be soooo funny. Imagine hordes of kids crouching or in the prone position in their front-room, scampering around, trying not to get killed whilst avoiding the perilous sofa.
lol then you'd older army guys playing it as well thinking they'd be awesome at it!
JAKstriked
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Llynus)
I'd like to see stuff like that implemented for parts of normal games, like in Vegas 2 you can give voice commands to your AI team.

Maybe with Natal have standard controls, but when you make a throwing action it identifies it as you wanting to through a grenade, that kinda thing. I agree as a full control system, mocap is crap but I'd like to see some partial implementation of it.
Yeah maybe. In GTAIV there was the option to shake the sixaxis to reload, I did this until I realised I could just press circle. I think a more effcient control system will always win, although things like grenades would be good if they could get the implimentation right.
Jehuty^
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FyreFight)
Microsoft really stole the show for me. Whilst Sony had some good stuff - GT5 looked impressive, MAG should be incredible if it works, and I suppose FFXIV/GoW is nice for people who like that sort of thing - Unchartered 2 looked unremarkable and we already knew about that anyway. The rest was worthless crap for handhelds.

:ditto:
JAKstriked
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
On natal:
After actually watching some videos I can see some of the appeal, but surely it is just the wii side of the market?
I think as a concept it looks incredible but I can't honestly believe anything like what they are showing will actually be released glitch free within 20 years.
From my point of view it just looks like adding a whole new level of frustration to gaming and a whole new section of novelty games. I mean jumping around your room pretending to skateboard is retarded, you want to skateboard: go skateboard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (163)
39%
No - but I will (22)
5.26%
No - I don't want to (31)
7.42%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed