Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Xavi produced ten more successful passes over 90 minutes than Jack Wilshere, Abou Diaby, Cesc Fàbregas, Tomas Rosicky, Samir Nasri, Robin Van Persie, Nicklas Bendtner and Andrey Arshavin put together. So did Andres Iniesta.
    The above says a lot about last night's game. Wenger either lied about sticking to his favoured attacking tactics or your team bottled it. I think the truth lies in the middle somewhere, tbph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hantheman)
    I'd stop worrying about what other fans think, apart from those who can think beyond mere rivalry and talk about football from their brain rather than their penis (for some those are two and the same unfortunately).
    Yeah, its got to the point where i begin to hate other clubs purely from comments made by players/fans/pundits who are disparaging to teams i support. It makes me feel quite angry.

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona really are almost impossible to play against tactically.

They're the best passers in the world, so pressure works to an extent but they've got more than enough ability to pass round you. Sitting deep works some of the time, but not consistently and you still need chunks of luck. Added to the fact they pressurise so well at your weakest footballing point, the defense, you're more likely to give away the ball.

When Mourinho, the best tactical coach in world football gets thumped 5-0, you know there's an issue. I think as opposition you've got to sit deep, hit them with pace (their main weakness) on the counter attack and hope they don't open you up.

It's similar to Chelsea's 4-5-1 a few years back which was causing havok in the premiership.They were unplayable at times, until one or two teams work out (or stumble upon) an effective counter tactic, which is then employed by more teams until it becomes beatable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    You lot need to go through first. :gah:
    i wasnt wumming as such i was predicting a high scoring beating on the horizon - which, even though imo you get bum raped, it wasnt as heavy as i expected it could go, hence the too soon comment

ReputationRep:
    This ref pissed me off. Why wasnt abidal sent off for grabbing RVP?

Yes we know barca played better etc etc, but surely with 11 men we would have stood a better chance than with 10.

This ref ruined our chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    The above says a lot about last night's game. Wenger either lied about sticking to his favoured attacking tactics or your team bottled it. I think the truth lies in the middle somewhere, tbph.
    Nonsense, the truth is we came up against a phenomenal side 100% focused on the task. How can you attack if you can't even get the ball out of defence? We struggled because our playmaker wasn't fit and didn't have an outlet such as Walcott, not that it would have made a difference to the overall result but we would have had a better grounding in the game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Nonsense, the truth is we came up against a phenomenal side 100% focused on the task. How can you attack if you can't even get the ball out of defence? We struggled because our playmaker wasn't fit and didn't have an outlet such as Walcott, not that it would have made a difference to the overall result but we would have had a better grounding in the game
    Your team's passing was attrocious, giving the ball away time and time again. That's why you couldn't get the ball out of defence. Wenger also bottled it by playing Rosicky ahead of Arshavin, and he should have changed tactics once RvP was sent off, not waited 20 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    My Assesement of this game is simple.

Van Persie's red card was avoidable. yes Abidal had his hand around his throat, at this stage we had barce angry that we was defending and not letting them through as often as they liked. The last thing RVP needed to do was to show his petulance by putting his hand on Dani Alves' face. This could easily of been a red for RVP. getting away with just a yellow gave the ref a reason to give him a second yellow regardless of the time span of the whistle - shot, not because he was only booked for a possible red, but because he was on a yellow card, he put himself on a thin line by reacting against Alves. This sort of petulance drags us down time and time again, our players have to learn to not react and lash out.

I don't want Arsenal's Defending to be confused with being out played. yes we couldn't build an attack effectively, but what we did well was defend and clear. that was the first thing that was asked of us, to defend our lead. For 45 mins we did this effectively, The moment we tried to build an attack from the back, an individual error cost us a goal.

As soon as we equalised we went back to defending, only this time there was slightly more space for us to "attack" due to Barcelona wanting to get higher up the pitch. the red card only cost us another player to drop back to defend, that's the only place I reckon "The red card cost us". If RVP hadn't of lashed out in the first place, he wouldn't of been sent to an early shower regardless of the manner of the second yellow.

My personal opinion of Bentdner's "chance" is that if we had brought on Chamakh, he would of scored, but that's just my thought. I was really hoping Chamakh would start even with RVP in the squad.

Just have to focus the "backlash" at Man Utd this weekend...:rolleyes: Not expecting much from that tbh....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Speaking from experience, they were fairly standard goalkeeping saves - the finishing from Villa and Pedro was just woeful.
    Could of easily been 4/5-1

ReputationRep:
    Haven't seen Wenger's quote in full but when he called the officiating a joke did he also mention the legitimate yet incorrectly disallowed goal in the first leg, the stonewall penalty in the first half from Diaby on Messi and the decision not to award Kosielny a second yellow?

There were worse decisions last night than by the referee tbf. Wenger's tactics were a mess, Fabregas was shocking whilst Rosicky was just awful and didn't really do the shackling job he was meant to. At 1-1 and down to 10 Wenger should have either hauled a DM off the bench o sure it up or stuck Bendter up top and launched balls over the top to get another goal. He went against all principles by parking a bus so why not resort to long pumps up field too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Maul)
    Last five years Man United - back to back champions league finals, quarter finals , multiple premier league titles, Carling cups...

How are Barcelona so far ahead?
    6 trophies in one season.

Currently have the top three players in the world according to Fifa.

Messi on the verge of winning world player of the year three times in a row.

Messi 47 goals last season. Already on 45 goals this season.

World cup winning team.

etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NVgrime)
    My Assesement of this game is simple.

Van Persie's red card was avoidable. yes Abidal had his hand around his throat, at this stage we had barce angry that we was defending and not letting them through as often as they liked. The last thing RVP needed to do was to show his petulance by putting his hand on Dani Alves' face. This could easily of been a red for RVP. getting away with just a yellow gave the ref a reason to give him a second yellow regardless of the time span of the whistle - shot, not because he was only booked for a possible red, but because he was on a yellow card, he put himself on a thin line by reacting against Alves. This sort of petulance drags us down time and time again, our players have to learn to not react and lash out.
    I agree, Nathan. I have little sympathy for RVP now. He slapped Alves in the face and wasn't even looking at the ball, seen players sent off for that. You shouldn't be getting silly yellow cards for things like that, he didn't help himself.

Also why are people so sure that RVP didn't know he was offside? One of the things that alarms me is how long it took for him to protest that he didn't hear the whistle. Not to mention how wide the shot went, it looked like a shot of frustration, not the usual RVP standards. Still think referee should have used more common sense.

ReputationRep:
    It was 1 second, it was timed. 1 second after the whistle went.

Messi did it twice in the match yet he wasn't sent off.

ReputationRep:
    I am a chelsea fan but i hate barcalona so much that if i was big carlo i would have lent you anyone you want and why? because to beat barcalona overall you have to either win draw or lose by one goal at the nou camp because otherwise they will throw caution to the wind and destroy anyone.
    The closest a team has come since liverpool and i cant even remember that, is lets be honest chelsea and that is because chelsea is too full of strong, tall players who can outmuscle them. if people look down on the english game and good tactics like long balls to a big striker then they are little sissies, im afraid arsene got this wrong trying to outplay them, it just would never happen. Physicality is one of the traits of the english game that other leagues cant hack and arsene didnt use this to full effect.

and btw alves had it coming because he is a cocky little f***.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Chelsea, no

United... doubt it again, Barca like that can beat.... anyone really?
    Are you being for real?

They're not even playing at their usual level at the moment.

They must have create 30+ chances over the two legs and only took 4 of them, when they should have taken at least 7.

Also without Puyol for both legs and Pique yesterday.

This was the best chance Arsenal had to beat them, had it been Chelsea or United, they would have taken advantage of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Maul)
    Last five years Man United - back to back champions league finals, quarter finals , multiple premier league titles, Carling cups...

How are Barcelona so far ahead?
    What the hell are you on about?

I never said anything about United. You said Barcelona were unproven despite them having the best record in Europe over the last 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    Heard this statistic earlier:

This referee has refereed 29 Spanish Clubs in Europe and in these games ALL 29 have won. :eek::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Haven't seen Wenger's quote in full but when he called the officiating a joke did he also mention the legitimate yet incorrectly disallowed goal in the first leg, the stonewall penalty in the first half from Diaby on Messi and the decision not to award Kosielny a second yellow?
    Spot on. Possible penalty against Arshavin at the end of the first leg as well. Poor refereeing was the only reason Arsenal were still in the tie at half time at the Nou Camp. Arsenal blaming the ref for defeat, whether some of the fans on here, the couple I know irl, and especially Wenger (telling Guardiola to congratulate the ref :rolleyes:) is just ridiculous. I'm actually a bit embarrassed for them.

From a selfish point of view it's a good thing for me though. If they continue to blame the ref time and time again instead of focussing on the failings of their own team* they won't address those problems.

*I admit I was a bit guilty of that after our game with Pool before anyone tries to score some cheap points.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone had any hope of us winning the champions league from the start they were foolish. I think we need to focus on the league and the FA cup tbh, winning the league would be exactly what this team needs to go on and win things like the champions league in a year or two time. I would always much much rather win the premier league anyway so hopefully our players can put their dummies back in and the ****ty fans that have a go everytime they do something wrong can just shut the **** up and go on and win the league?

ReputationRep:
    Wenger and Nasri charged by Uefa :dry:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.