Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How are people finishing teaching placements now? Mine doesn't end until the start of July haha!

ReputationRep:
    Can I just check...am I the only one who plans better lessons when I'm being observed?

Sounds awful when I type it out but I do. Just wondered if it's just me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Can I just check...am I the only one who plans better lessons when I'm being observed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been told a few times to do the all singing, all dancing lesson for observations but I'd rather do something secure rather than fancy because I'm a nervous Nancy.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If I planned every lesson like I planned for an observation lesson, I can assure you 100% I would no longer be alive.

ReputationRep:
    I am getting lazier with my non-observed lessons. I only type out a proper lesson plan for those (once a week) and for all my other lessons I fill in the 'five minute lesson plan' by hand, where as when I started I typed up every single lesson plan properly.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    Had a brilliant observation from uni. Feeling so much better now and not like a complete failure

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I have an external examiner coming in to see me and they want to see my teaching file. I don't have a teaching file. What should be in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lesson plans, evidence that you are meeting standards and school context information (policies etc). I had an internal examiner visit too. They are more interested in how the course is run.

Guys, I have an external examiner coming in to see me and they want to see my teaching file. I don't have a teaching file. What should be in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1) A copy of your timetable

2) Class list of each class you teach, with key info (target grades, SEN, G&T, Pupil Premium). I assume you have these from the start of your placement (mine were annotated in discussion with the teacher - who is a pain, who is bright but lazy, etc.)

3) Seatings plans for your classes.

4) Lesson plans and evaluations (+ possibly some lesson resources if you have worksheets etc. lying around).

5) Any other information from the school (eg: staff handbook, handouts and notes from school CPD/inset sessions)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    I have three interviews this week. Two have come through for the same day and I'm not sure about when the last one is but I know my luck.

How do I politely contact to say I'm no longer interested while still keeping things positive?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine has: class details, info about school, school policies, medium term planning, short term planning, copies of all observations and tutorials, copies of important documents, copies of children's reports, evaluations, resources etc.

It is a big file and getting rather difficult to carry.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine consists of:

School policy documents

Mark books for each class I teach

Resources/plans/observations for every class
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have a file for each class, which I take to each lesson. It has a seating plan cellotaped to the back of it, and inside contains lesson plans, worksheets, evaluations and any notes I've taken on the class that don't fit into my teacher's planner.

ReputationRep:
    Right...thanks guys. Helps a lot but also worries me! I have a lot of those things but I don't make a plan for every single lesson these days (I don't know if they will notice), and I don't really have a markbook as I've only marked one set of books all placement. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's because all my classes are on a carousel and I don't do much book work...

I'll have to bulk it up with something ;/

ReputationRep:
    Found out I was unsuccessful in my primary job interview. I've only had two overall but it's still soul crushing. I'm starting to feel the pressure about not having something concrete for September whilst over half of my course group has secured something now... So many factors not going right at the moment.

I'm not the most organised individual in my planning, I'm starting to lose my voice due an illness and now two rejections in total.

Kind of feel like I'm a fraud for getting onto my PGCE course now. Intentions and knowledge of pedagogy is nothing compared to actual experience. At the moment, I imagine that I'm probably better on theoretical paper than in person and that thought really depresses me. The contrast between the application and the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Airfairy...you will have plans for the carousel I would imagine, and evaluations, next steps for learners etc... That's the kind of thing I would expect to see, alongside time table, how you are meeting the standards etc...I would have expected your uni to specify exactly what they want...hope this is helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Right...thanks guys. Helps a lot but also worries me! I have a lot of those things but I don't make a plan for every single lesson these days (I don't know if they will notice), and I don't really have a markbook as I've only marked one set of books all placement. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's because all my classes are on a carousel and I don't do much book work...

I'll have to bulk it up with something ;/
    My folder literally had a copy of anything that was to do with placement.

It's crazy that your uni does it like this!! Our folders were checked each time our tutor visited and once each placement our mentors had to take them to a mentor meeting with the uni. They had a list of the basic things to go in them in our handbook which is given out on the first day of the course. I am so glad my uni was so organised!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    My folder literally had a copy of anything that was to do with placement.

It's crazy that your uni does it like this!! Our folders were checked each time our tutor visited and once each placement our mentors had to take them to a mentor meeting with the uni. They had a list of the basic things to go in them in our handbook which is given out on the first day of the course. I am so glad my uni was so organised!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Grant2007)
    Airfairy...you will have plans for the carousel I would imagine, and evaluations, next steps for learners etc... That's the kind of thing I would expect to see, alongside time table, how you are meeting the standards etc...I would have expected your uni to specify exactly what they want...hope this is helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My uni have indeed been vague with it and it's annoyed me. The school direct trainees at my school (who are led by my uni) have a big contents list to follow but it's specific for their alliance and uni have never mentioned a file to us so I didn't copy it.

In my handbook it says we are to have a file of evidence showing how we meet each standard. Is this the same thing do you think? Because if it is, it is all done online now so there is no need for me to have a physical file. I could always print it off if they are that bothered.

I'm a little worried now because I definitely don't have a lesson plan for every single lesson I've taught (either that or some of them are massively basic). No-one has ever wanted to see my teaching file nor mentioned it's existence, so whilst I do have my own folders and ways of organising things, it's certainly not fit for someone to look through.

ReputationRep:
    Airfairy - don't panic! The School Direct/SCITT training course I am on encourages us to have physical folders - just because its easier for general reference BUT they have stated electronic is also fine as long as we can access it quickly and easily ("Oh you want evidence for TS5? Just let me show you that onscreen now/print that out for you in 5secs..."

I am jealous of all those who have a list of what evidence to gather. We got some very general guidance (one piece of evidence for each sub-standard) but - as with a lot of things - I have had to rely massively on my mentor's guidance rather than anything else. Not that you can rely on this but I have included: lesson plans, evaluations, resources, journals, evidence for standards (E.g. printout from behaviour system to show I am logging behaviour incidents), notes as to how I would improve a lesson in future after feedback etc.

ETA: I don't have a lesson plan for every lesson! I did this for my 1st placement and it nearly killed me. Now I just scrawl a few notes onto a powerpoint printout (apart from my official weekly observation).

ReputationRep:
    My uni have indeed been vague with it and it's annoyed me. The school direct trainees at my school (who are led by my uni) have a big contents list to follow but it's specific for their alliance and uni have never mentioned a file to us so I didn't copy it.

In my handbook it says we are to have a file of evidence showing how we meet each standard. Is this the same thing do you think? Because if it is, it is all done online now so there is no need for me to have a physical file. I could always print it off if they are that bothered.

I'm a little worried now because I definitely don't have a lesson plan for every single lesson I've taught (either that or some of them are massively basic). No-one has ever wanted to see my teaching file nor mentioned it's existence, so whilst I do have my own folders and ways of organising things, it's certainly not fit for someone to look through.
    On my course we had a separate file that was evidence for us meeting the standards. The teaching file had all plans, evaluations, assessment, notes on children, school policies etc.

I would say that the electronic teaching standards one will probably be fine to show the examiner... It shows you're meeting the standards needed and also how the uni is gathering evidence. But if you want you can also bring your personal folder. They can't really complain that it's not in the order they'd prefer if they haven't given you one!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.