Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Injuries yes but i dont think you can use the excuse of a World Cup hangover since it applies to everyone and Chelsea and United sent more players to the World Cup iirc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Two of our most important players went all the way with Germany. Mert and Ozil were both poor at the start of the season costing us both offensively and defensively. When I said world Cup hangover I meant the Germans more specifically, should have said that in my first post.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned, 3rd place or above and the FA cup is a successful season. It's been great to see how the team's kicked on this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    This is an excuse. We have failed for 11 years. I don't care who the manager is I WANT THE PL TITLE !!!
    Well yes so do I but was that a realistic expectation to have post-highbury? We now have quality players in the team and the money and pulling power to add more. We weren't able to do that while we were paying off debt every year.

Can see more sustained title challenges in the coming seasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EddyP)
    As far as I'm concerned, 3rd place or above and the FA cup is a successful season. It's been great to see how the team's kicked on this year.
    Agree. Retaining the fa cup would be a massive achievement and would do wonders for the morale of the team. As frustrating as the start of this season was it was clear that with the quality we have it would click eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Top 4 nailed on, FA cup looking good. Happy with this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Chirico)
    Well yes so do I but was that a realistic expectation to have post-highbury? We now have quality players in the team and the money and pulling power to add more. We weren't able to do that while we were paying off debt every year.

I don't see it as an excuse even Liverpool went on a title challenge last season so we should be able to also. We have failed and will continue to fail until the squad is managed properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EddyP)
    Agreed. Especially given our start, its been great to see how we have got a much more "determined" looking team

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thomas is a handsome young lad.

ReputationRep:
    If Arsenal can win every game till the end of the season, that will be the perfect platform to begin next season and challenge from the start! Hopefully we can go set some records and really go on a winning strike it would be the icing on the cake if Chelsea slip up but 2nd is good however lets not get complacent over Fa Cup last year Hull nearly beat us.

ReputationRep:
    we better sign one of the Bender brothers in the summer

ReputationRep:
    If you could name 4 perfect signings in the summer who would they be? Can be audacious as you like

Mine;

Vidal
    Benzema
    Reus
    Maxwell
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by De Chirico)

You're starting to turn up against the big teams now. That's the first real sign that change may be around the corner.

Wenger needs to get signings right this summer if you want to push on and go for the title in 15/16, not waiting until August before spunking his entire budget on a 38532845834th Attacking Midfielder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefano93)
    If you could name 4 perfect signings in the summer who would they be? Can be audacious as you like

Mine;

Vidal
    Benzema
    Reus
    Maxwell
    Ronaldo
    Suarez
    Thiago Silva
    Pogba

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    Ronaldo
    Suarez
    Thiago Silva
    Pogba
    No Messi? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefano93)
    No Messi? :lolwut:
    cant fit him into the squad, without messing up the defensive balance

would go

suarez
    ronaldo ozil alexis
    wilshere pogba
    nacho silva kosc bellerin
    ospina

obviously you could get someone like Neuer, but I think that 11 has a lot of balance and quality.

ReputationRep:
    3rd and FA Cup isn't exactly progress is it though?

2nd is perhaps, but we were still awful in Europe from start to finish.

I'll agree though, if we can manage to beat Chelsea and finish on at least 80 points whilst retaining the FA Cup then I'll be happier.

The issues are still there, we never have a fit squad and that needs to change before we have any chance of having a genuine sustained title bid

ReputationRep:
    Essentially 78+ points would be progress, especially considering how much harder/tighter the league has been this year.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone??

De Gea or Courtois
    Hummels or Thiego Silva
    Ronaldo or Messi
    Pogba

Realistically

Cech
    Smalling
    Sneiderlain or Khedira
    Pedro
    Lacazette

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    3rd and FA Cup isn't exactly progress is it though?

2nd is perhaps, but we were still awful in Europe from start to finish.

I'll agree though, if we can manage to beat Chelsea and finish on at least 80 points whilst retaining the FA Cup then I'll be happier.

The issues are still there, we never have a fit squad and that needs to change before we have any chance of having a genuine sustained title bid
    everything the same as last year, but increasing from 4th to 3rd? - bassically the definition of progress.

Ok, its not great progress, or big progress, but its impossible to deny that it is a better season then last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    everything the same as last year, but increasing from 4th to 3rd? - bassically the definition of progress.

Ok, its not great progress, or big progress, but its impossible to deny that it is a better season then last year
    No it isn't, we've finished 3rd plenty of times in the last 10 years, it shows no progress over the last 5 years.

Tbh, we could quite easily finish 3rd on a worse points tally than last season.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.