Maths Uni Chat Watch

Oh I Really Don't Care
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
Off topic. What is your height and weight? I'm assuming you are 5'9-6'1. As you did say Marcus Du Sautoy was short. Also, how is your powerlifting routine going?
I wouldn't say he was really short; around 5'7 or 8 with shoes. He was around 2 inches shorter than me at least and I was 5'9 last year. Luckily I have grew to 5'11 so stuff be good. Also put on some weight - 70 kg now (was pretty ill so lost loads last year).

Will bulk to 87-89. It's going fine, just got some more supplements and shizzle this morning. Already broke 350 kg total so I reckon I will be a member of the 1000 lbs raw club by the end of next year.

l33t stats.
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rings are like castles and then groups are like blurry pictures.
Eh?
qgujxj39
Report 7 years ago
What've you been smoking, Simps?
IrrationalNumber
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everyone on here says I'm bad at Maths. Yet, I'm not. Really I'm not. Also, I would be a exotic number like a surreal number.
The stuff you say at here is at best controversial and at worst bizarre. You seem to go to extremes too often.
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyway...

Simplicity, if you're needing help memorising things, just use mnemonics for everything. The weirder the better.

"Scared Lovers Try positions That They Can't Handle" is a commonly used one, for example.

I'm not a maths student, nor am I going to be applying for mathematics (I don't think!), just thought I'd take a look.

If any of you are interested in a good maths book, Zero: A Biography of a Dangerous Number is a fantastic read.
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JordanR)

I'm not a maths student, nor am I going to be applying for mathematics (I don't think!)
:eek::eek:
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Enjoy this bee-you-tea-full tune......

JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by boromir9111)
:eek::eek:
Hey, if it's any consolation, I'm probably going in for engineering if medicine goes tits up.
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JordanR)
Hey, if it's any consolation, I'm probably going in for engineering if medicine goes tits up.
drastic career changes there.....from medicine to engineering
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by boromir9111)
drastic career changes there.....from medicine to engineering
A little.

Medicine is the career that appeals to me most - constant interaction with people, constantly learning, that kind of thing; but my favourite subjects are maths and physics, hence engineering.

And of course they both involve plenty of analytical thinking and problem solving, just in different areas.

Who knows... maybe a degree in maths would be good. I love calculus.
Physics Enemy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
I was assuming you were better at applied than pure, which would be fair when looking at your posts here and your supposed grades.

Evidently I am overlooking something ..
That's odd, I've always known Simplicity is better at Pure. He's made it clear he's not a great problem solver and more of an abstract/proof guy.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Physics Enemy)
That's odd, I've always known Simplicity is better at Pure. He's made it clear he's not a great problem solver and more of an abstract/proof guy.
I certainly wouldn't use abstract/proof guy to describe Simplicity.
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rings are like castles and then groups are like blurry pictures.

You should watch it. Marcus Du Sautoy is not weird. That's good as people assume Maths people are eccentric, yet most are normal.

They aren't really special. Don't see what's so useful about them, especially pi. Also, I might invent a new number when I'm older. Probably will. Also, what is a number? Like 1/2 and pi don't really exist. So it's pointless studying numbers.

Everyone on here says I'm bad at Maths. Yet, I'm not. Really I'm not. Also, I would be a exotic number like a surreal number.
I am very interested as to how rings look like castles...

I didn't say Du Sautoy is weird. He's just a hack. He makes all of these **** programmes about maths that are disinteresting to mathematicians and too strange for non-mathematicians. He appeals to nobody. He also seems quite arrogant.

I'm sorry but pi and e really are pretty special. I don't understand how you can't see this. 0 and 1 are probably the only constants with equal significance. As for "what is a number", I'm just not going into that...

I don't think you're bad at maths. I just think you're really ****ing strange. Some days you say things that make sense and then other days you just come out with pure, unadulterated BS. Like rings looking like castles.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
I am very interested as to how rings look like castles...

I didn't say Du Sautoy is weird. He's just a hack. He makes all of these **** programmes about maths that are disinteresting to mathematicians and too strange for non-mathematicians. He appeals to nobody. He also seems quite arrogant.

I'm sorry but pi and e really are pretty special. I don't understand how you can't see this. 0 and 1 are probably the only constants with equal significance. As for "what is a number", I'm just not going into that...

I don't think you're bad at maths. I just think you're really ****ing strange. Some days you say things that make sense and then other days you just come out with pure, unadulterated BS. Like rings looking like castles.
Obv. he doesn't act similar to his camera self. He seems quite relaxed, even talks to people on the street and walks with them.

I had a look at The Code and your points are valid. However, he is at least attempting to do something different - all the documentary's on maths before failed terribly and this has actually got people semi interested enough to either watch him do more or discuss maths.

I enjoy the 'what is number' discussion. However, the answers always going to be the same: the number is system is (lists rules) and this is something constructed that obeys. A number is anything from a possible construction ( I imagine this answers simps questions).

I find it much more interesting to discuss numbers in the real world and the pluarity of objects etc.
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
Obv. he doesn't act similar to his camera self. He seems quite relaxed, even talks to people on the street and walks with them.

I had a look at The Code and your points are valid. However, he is at least attempting to do something different - all the documentary's on maths before failed terribly and this has actually got people semi interested enough to either watch him do more or discuss maths.

I enjoy the 'what is number' discussion. However, the answers always going to be the same: the number is system is (lists rules) and this is something constructed that obeys. A number is anything from a possible construction ( I imagine this answers simps questions).

I find it much more interesting to discuss numbers in the real world and the pluarity of objects etc.
I still haven't seen "The Code" yet but I did see his last maths documentary series, can't remember the name but it was one of those where he gets "transported back in time" using low-budget CGI and watches some washed-up actors dressed as Babylonians or Egyptians or whatever counting knots in string. Yeah, one of those programmes. It was shockingly bad.

I agree that numbers are more interesting in the real world than as a counting device but I still find many of these real world links quite tenuous, or shockingly obvious. "Oh look, pi shows up in the shape of this flower" yeah that's because it's circular, you turd.
harr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I could be completely wrong, and I don't agree, but I interpreted "rings are like castles and then groups are like blurry pictures" as meaning that rings seem solid in the sense that you can go out and think of some examples that show exactly how they work, while groups aren't as solid.
(Original post by Physics Enemy)
Pure doesn't involve problem solving?
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by harr)
I could be completely wrong, and I don't agree, but I interpreted "rings are like castles and then groups are like blurry pictures" as meaning that rings seem solid in the sense that you can go out and think of some examples that show exactly how they work, while groups aren't as solid.
:five:
qgujxj39
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
Great post.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by harr)
I fail to distinguish such a chasm between the two. They are practically the same and you have stuff like Z and Q for concrete examples. If you find such an issue with groups but not rings it stems from the bizarre method used to retain your thoughts on the subject.

Simplicity is causing so much annoyance it would be enough to make a shy, bald Buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder.
around
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what is a group, really? the symmetries of an object? a way of formalising addition?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads