Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    How do I handle being externally observed with a class I really struggle with? They're my form so they know I'm not a real teacher (the others at least think I was a struggling real teacher at the start) and I've never been able to control them well enough to be happy with their lessons

(Original post by greenbeans123)
    Airfairy - don't panic! The School Direct/SCITT training course I am on encourages us to have physical folders - just because its easier for general reference BUT they have stated electronic is also fine as long as we can access it quickly and easily ("Oh you want evidence for TS5? Just let me show you that onscreen now/print that out for you in 5secs..."

I am jealous of all those who have a list of what evidence to gather. We got some very general guidance (one piece of evidence for each sub-standard) but - as with a lot of things - I have had to rely massively on my mentor's guidance rather than anything else. Not that you can rely on this but I have included: lesson plans, evaluations, resources, journals, evidence for standards (E.g. printout from behaviour system to show I am logging behaviour incidents), notes as to how I would improve a lesson in future after feedback etc.

ETA: I don't have a lesson plan for every lesson! I did this for my 1st placement and it nearly killed me. Now I just scrawl a few notes onto a powerpoint printout (apart from my official weekly observation).
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    My uni have indeed been vague with it and it's annoyed me. The school direct trainees at my school (who are led by my uni) have a big contents list to follow but it's specific for their alliance and uni have never mentioned a file to us so I didn't copy it.

In my handbook it says we are to have a file of evidence showing how we meet each standard. Is this the same thing do you think? Because if it is, it is all done online now so there is no need for me to have a physical file. I could always print it off if they are that bothered.

I'm a little worried now because I definitely don't have a lesson plan for every single lesson I've taught (either that or some of them are massively basic). No-one has ever wanted to see my teaching file nor mentioned it's existence, so whilst I do have my own folders and ways of organising things, it's certainly not fit for someone to look through.
    Ours is a really specific checklist of requirements. It's literally a list with boxes to go through to make sure we have everything. Anything else that meets that standards is tucked into the back. It's all explicit. We just have to include two schemes of work and the lessons from it fully evaluated and pretty.

I can send it you if you think i'd help to organise things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    How do I handle being externally observed with a class I really struggle with? They're my form so they know I'm not a real teacher (the others at least think I was a struggling real teacher at the start) and I've never been able to control them well enough to be happy with their lessons

?
    Is it usual to have your own form during the PGCE? Eek!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What does it mean when you've been asked to meet for an 'informal interview' ????

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Just felt extremely intimidated by a girl in year 8 who I had set detention and most times she's fine with you if you're fine with her and today I called her up on something she just rolled her eyes at me and had some stinky attitude and I genuinely felt intimidated by her. "I didn't even do nuffin!!!!"

Is this normal? I feel kind of shaken up by it tbh
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura.a.c265)
    Is it usual to have your own form during the PGCE? Eek!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We all seem to have them. I've had one both placements. They have two form tutors but they've both mostly been mine so their other tutor can focus on other stuff.

(Original post by Sam89)
    Just felt extremely intimidated by a girl in year 8 who I had set detention and most times she's fine with you if you're fine with her and today I called her up on something she just rolled her eyes at me and had some stinky attitude and I genuinely felt intimidated by her. "I didn't even do nuffin!!!!"

Pretty standard. It could be something at home, hormones or something absolutely silly. My nicest can turn when they feel cornered. We've had nothing but squabbles today between pupils and teachers feeling the stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    We all seem to have them. I've had one both placements. They have two form tutors but they've both mostly been mine so their other tutor can focus on other stuff.

Pretty standard. It could be something at home, hormones or something absolutely silly. My nicest can turn when they feel cornered. We've had nothing but squabbles today between pupils and teachers feeling the stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks that makes me feel better - I went to my mentor for advise and she said well I can control my class so it's not an issue for me and I said what about in your PGCE year she said nope none of the kids intimidated me and I didn't hate any of my classes some kind of born teacher who's never made mistakes?!

I just feel bad because it was my last class with them and I wanted to end on a good note but it's done now, how do you put this stuff behind u? I put a lot behind me but this particular incident is stuck for some reason

ReputationRep:
    (Apologies, stressed out rant under the cut)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    OK slight panic - just 2 days left on placement ad was told by mentor that I'm still just 'between a grade 3 and a 2' (despite stupid me thinking I'd made progress after a few grade 2 observations). Will my training provider bump this up to a 2 for my final evaluation...or put me down to a 3?? If you get a 3 overall will this go in references? - and if so, is there any chance of ever getting a job? (If not the last 2 years have been a complete waste of time.)

The thing is my mentor is really fair and supportive, so I know she must be right in her judgement (she doesn't read this so I'm not trying to suck up lol). She wouldn't do this to get at me or feel superior (as I know some mentors do), and she always tries to emphasize the positive in her comments. She's pointed out my many shortcomings (tactfully), and made tons of suggestions in the past, which I've always followed to good effect. I honestly thought I was improving in the last couple of weeks. Apparently I'm just continuing to get it wrong somehow.

It's just absolutely gutting when you've worked your socks off, feel like you're getting somewhere, then BAM - nope you're still actually pretty rubbish. Apparently last year 70% of my course got '1', 20% got '2' and 10% got a '3'....totally misunderstanding the meaning of 'outstanding' IMO and also making me feel really crap if this year I am one of just a couple of people with a 3 (or the only one??!). No-one likes to be at the bottom of the class, I know...I just don't think I'm all that bad!

ReputationRep:
    Airfairy...if it is online you can show someone online....that solves the problem. ,are sure you reelect and learn and put all that in against them.

You will have assessments for each lesson to show your thinking about where to go next so as I assume you typed them keep them in a folder in the same section as the rest of your stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    My folder literally had a copy of anything that was to do with placement.

It's crazy that your uni does it like this!! Our folders were checked each time our tutor visited and once each placement our mentors had to take them to a mentor meeting with the uni. They had a list of the basic things to go in them in our handbook which is given out on the first day of the course. I am so glad my uni was so organised!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same here. Not having your folder with you at any time for any reason is an instant CfC. Any member of staff should be able to look at your folder whenever they want. It can be stressful sometimes but I'd prefer to do it this way because you know what's expected!

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview today...or more like I didn't because I broke down in the morning. I could have gotten there about 45 mins poss an hour late, but I chose to not go instead of turn up that late. According to TES users, I made the wrong decision and should have turned up late anyway. I did not feel I had a good chance of getting the job, let alone with turning up an hour late, plus the embarrassment so I did not go, instead stayed at the garage with my car.

I have had an horrific day with it all, and now it's even worse because I feel like I'm going to get into trouble for not turning up late. I have been honest about it on the email to my mentor but I already feel like I'm going to get told off tomorrow and I'm dreading going in I don't really care if people think I made the wrong decision - I am constantly told about punctuality and how important it is, plus I know someone who got turned away from their interview for arriving 15 mins late so the whole thing made me think that an hour was just making it ridiculous.

So yeah...all in all dreading tomorrow because I feel like everyone is going to tell me off.

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview today...or more like I didn't because I broke down in the morning. I could have gotten there about 45 mins poss an hour late, but I chose to not go instead of turn up that late. According to TES users, I made the wrong decision and should have turned up late anyway. I did not feel I had a good chance of getting the job, let alone with turning up an hour late, plus the embarrassment so I did not go, instead stayed at the garage with my car.

I have had an horrific day with it all, and now it's even worse because I feel like I'm going to get into trouble for not turning up late. I have been honest about it on the email to my mentor but I already feel like I'm going to get told off tomorrow and I'm dreading going in I don't really care if people think I made the wrong decision - I am constantly told about punctuality and how important it is, plus I know someone who got turned away from their interview for arriving 15 mins late so the whole thing made me think that an hour was just making it ridiculous.

So yeah...all in all dreading tomorrow because I feel like everyone is going to tell me off.
    Sorry to hear this it will be ridiculous if you are told off. It isn't your fault that your car broke down! And you're right, punctuality is important. Whether you made the right choice or not, it was yours to make and nobody should make you feel bad for making a judgement call.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)

This is definitely something I've felt a couple of times - my second placement is a very rough all-girls school. So I wouldn't say you should worry about how you feel. If you don't like the way you're being addressed, ask them to leave the room. After a couple of minutes to calm down, go out and explain that you felt they were disrespectful (much better to say than intimidating) and that isn't acceptable in your classroom. Be sure to have exact examples of disrespect in mind for when they inevitably claim they weren't doing anything wrong, then make it clear you won't allow them in the classroom if that's the way they want to be have. After doing this a couple of times, even my most aggressive pupil learned some respect.

ReputationRep:

I actually read your post on TES - didn't realise it was you! However I do actually agree with you, if it was me I would have been way too flustered/embarrassed to perform well at an interview after all that happened.

Don't worry about it - something else will come up and you made the right decision. X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephineE)
    What does it mean when you've been asked to meet for an 'informal interview' ????
    They are most likely just referring to the questioning part... It will probably be quite casual, more like a conversation than a grilling. However they of course will still want to see good answers and professionalism, it should just be a bit less intimidating.

If they haven't set you a teaching task it may refer to that too. They might just ask you to interact with the kids a bit or read a story.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    I actually read your post on TES - didn't realise it was you! However I do actually agree with you, if it was me I would have been way too flustered/embarrassed to perform well at an interview after all that happened.

Don't worry about it - something else will come up and you made the right decision. X
    I see a lot of TSR users on TES. Sometimes it is great but sometimes it annoys me, like today when I ask a simple question and get like every user jumping down my throat when I feel bad enough.

Yeah, I'm not actually that bothered about the job - I wasn't mad on it. I'm just worried my mentors will have a go at me about it all. We shall see.
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Sorry to hear this it will be ridiculous if you are told off. It isn't your fault that your car broke down! And you're right, punctuality is important. Whether you made the right choice or not, it was yours to make and nobody should make you feel bad for making a judgement call.
    Yeah, this is true! I have a feeling if anyone says anything tomorrow I may just snap :/ . It's been an awful day and it's been building up so if anyone says anything tomorrow I am worried I will just start an argument. Which wouldn't be good...

ReputationRep:

Yeah, this is true! I have a feeling if anyone says anything tomorrow I may just snap :/ . It's been an awful day and it's been building up so if anyone says anything tomorrow I am worried I will just start an argument. Which wouldn't be good...

If anybody starts tomorrow, I would simply state my point and walk away. It is what it is and the last thing any PGCEr needs is more stress.

ReputationRep:
    Got my final mark from my placement today and thank god they passed me. 2 days left of placement and I can relax a bit. Am going to totally crash out friday night I think, ive already told my husband I intend to stay in bed as long as possible saturday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    They are most likely just referring to the questioning part... It will probably be quite casual, more like a conversation than a grilling. However they of course will still want to see good answers and professionalism, it should just be a bit less intimidating.

If they haven't set you a teaching task it may refer to that too. They might just ask you to interact with the kids a bit or read a story.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yes of course act professional but it sounds less scary! Should I be worried they haven't yet asked me to teach? I thought that was pretty standard.
    Also, does it mean anything negative if the post has been readvertised? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephineE)
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yes of course act professional but it sounds less scary! Should I be worried they haven't yet asked me to teach? I thought that was pretty standard.
    Also, does it mean anything negative if the post has been readvertised? xx
    I wouldn't say so. Some places just don't value seeing you teach a taught session to kids you've never met (can you tell I don't like that part of teaching interviews?!!!).

I'd imagine they just didn't have many candidates apply, or else several have found other jobs since applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.