The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

AFC Wimbledon away in the FA Cup.
Original post by luke829
Now we are going to lose to Basel (I hope not), and everything will be like before, United competing for the title, City and Chelsea too, Arsenal are crap now but they have to get better or they will sack Wenger.

I don't mind buying Markovic's, but to buy Markovic's we should be worried about our XI first... XI then the 'squad depth'

Everyone looked better with a worldclass player (Suarez) and a top player (Sturridge) in our team, the midfielders looked great, we were in the title race with Flanagan as our LB, etc... We didn't care if we conceded 3 because we scored 6, now our strikers are not here, we can't create anything, we have many inexperienced players, many average players, and teams like WHU, Newcastle, Swansea are above us. You can't expect to finish top 4 when your best player is a 20 yo and your best striker is injured all the time.

What im trying to say is that we should be worried about our XI, buy players who improve our team, not 40m players but players like Lacazette, Bony, etc who make an immediate impact in our team, not for 2-3 years more...

Can you explain to me why didn't we buy Bony or Remy instead of Balotelli? he has scored 0 goals in the premier league!!! he doesn't care about the team, he just walks around there, you can do that if you are good but he isn't good.

Lambert, a 4m player has scored more goals, runs more (he's 32) and puts more enthusiasm than him...

Look at all the money we spent, spend and will continue to spend, and all that money will be spent on average and overpriced players, I don't mind paying 16M for a Lallana type of player if we spend 40M on a Sanchez type of player...

We don't have a leader in our team, Gerrard is a top player but we can't rely on a 34 year old to carry our team, he doesn't have the legs anymore, he should be used like a Pirlo, the only difference is that Pirlo have top players around him to do the work for him (Vidal, Pogba) and we have Henderson, Allen, etc...

No doubt we'll take the lead in the 70th minute and then concede on the 85th which lets them draw and go through :facepalm:

Our first XI looked fine on paper

Sturridge
Coutinho/Lallana Gerrard Sterling
Henderson Allen/Can
Moreno Lovren Skrtel Johnson/Flanagan
Mignolet

The problem is that Lovren has been awful, Sturridge has been injured and the side is lacking confidence. You say we need to improve our first XI but Balotelli and Lambert are the squad players and that is exactly where we're lacking now because of the injury to Sturridge.

Lacazette isn't ready to be a first team player - even he realises it and so stayed at Lyon. Swansea wanted over 20mil for Bony which is why it didn't happen. We didn't buy Remy because something showed up on his medical.

We tried going for top players like Sanchez but they didn't want to join us.

Gerrard would be fine if Sturridge was up front but without quality up top, we need more graft and legs in the midfield.

Original post by ra-ra-ra
I’ll admit that even I am slightly disappointed that Markovic hasn’t made a similar impact in his first few months at Liverpool like his did in his first few months at Benfica. But I still believe that in time you lot will see what I watched during his season in Portugal.

I know it’s only a small thing but I also feel what possibly helped him settle into life at Benfica so quickly was he had the help of five other Serbians around him, so surely that had some part to play in it, especially with him leaving his country at a young age.

As for the price tag we all know us Portuguese throw in an extra couple of Euros to every player we sell, but I say give it another year or two and people won’t even mention the cost of him being ridiculous.

I know people say our league is awful and anyone can make such a positive impact but when watching him he had that something extra which made him stand out from the others around him. I just think he needs time, which also makes me feel he left Benfica that one season too soon as he would still be getting a regular first team place which could have only helped him to continue learning and improving his game at this present moment, which is what you need at this young age. But if that was the case you’d probably have to pay another £10m-£20m on top of what you paid for him. I just think a bit of patience is all you need with regards to this guy and he'll get there.

I think the pace and physical strength needed in the premier league makes it difficult. On top of that, we are struggling. It's easy to introduce a new player if the system and team already works well.

To start with he really struggled but now you can see him adjusting. In the last game, his pace and intelligent running was more obvious to see. Who knows, maybe Origi and Markovic will take the league by storm next season :colondollar:

Original post by mr tim
AFC Wimbledon away R3 FA cup.
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
Balotelli isn't world class? :confused:

Lel no

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wish Liverpool had the luck United are getting (basically having De Gea :tongue:)
Original post by samir12
Wish Liverpool had the luck United are getting (basically having De Gea :tongue:)

amen to that :frown:

but in all seriousness, lol at united fans essentially confirming top 4 finish for united this season.

we aren't even bloody half way and given the quality of their performances, they're far from guaranteed top 4.
take nothing away from them though, they took their chances and soton showed us all why they won't stay up top for too much longer.
Tomorrow night is huge, as is Sunday. Hell of a week.
Also, quite looking forward to the Wimbledon tie. Means we'll hear about 1988 for a month straight, though.
Original post by Lúcio
amen to that :frown:

but in all seriousness, lol at united fans essentially confirming top 4 finish for united this season.

we aren't even bloody half way and given the quality of their performances, they're far from guaranteed top 4.
take nothing away from them though, they took their chances and soton showed us all why they won't stay up top for too much longer.

They've been shaky at the back but their attacking quality and gk is what'll get them top 4. Like today's game v Soton, they didn't play well but RVP took his chances and DDG made a few saves and they came away with the 3 points.

I'm pretty sure they'll beat us on Sunday.
Convinced they'll beat us tbh.
Original post by Mackay
Tomorrow night is huge, as is Sunday. Hell of a week.

We've scored a grand total of 7 goals in 8 home games this season. I honestly don't see where the goals are gonna come from tomorrow since we haven't been sharp in front of goal this season.

United can easily be 10 points ahead of us on Sunday if they beat us, which they probably will. I honestly can't wait till Sturridge is back, I'm hoping that when he's fit again we'll find our winning ways in the 2nd half of the season.
Original post by jam277
I agree with you. Tbh the track record at Benfica and Porto is pretty good. Was pretty spot on with the assessment of Matic as well.

Hear Chelsea are looking at one of Benfica's attacking mids. Anderson Talisca has scored like 8 goals in 12 games. You know much of this player? Do you think he'll be like Atsu and forever on loan?

Ha, Atsu! I still don’t understand why you signed him. In the time Atsu spent at Porto he had about two okay games for us, ended up being endlessly linked to Liverpool and then the next thing you know he had signed for Chelsea. He never made an impression for us so I have no idea what the people at Chelsea saw in him. He had pace but that was it so I’m not surprised he has been forever on loan.

You better not steal Talisca away from this league yet as he is only just beginning. Talisca has been a bit of a surprise for me. I watched him last season at Bahia where he looked good but never a goal scorer like he has become at Benfica. Goals aside he is a frustrating guy to watch, probably more frustrating for aa22 than myself with him being the Benfica fan, but his decision making is not the best. Like he might pick to shoot when a better pass is on, doing it once you can deal with but doing it a few more times throughout the match begins to get tiring. Plus he drifts a bit in and out of games too. But I was saying to aa that I don’t really blame Talisca right now for having that bit of greed to him. He’s probably riding high on a bit of confidence at the moment with that cracking goal tally and Benfica can’t really rely on their strikers for the goals. His goal tally is impressive but he all-round game needs quite a bit more improvement. It would be too soon for him to come to England.
Just hope United don't pull off another jammy win against us, would rather they win deservedly (which isn't exactly hard to do against us though)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The.Joker
We've scored a grand total of 7 goals in 8 home games this season. I honestly don't see where the goals are gonna come from tomorrow since we haven't been sharp in front of goal this season.

United can easily be 10 points ahead of us on Sunday if they beat us, which they probably will. I honestly can't wait till Sturridge is back, I'm hoping that when he's fit again we'll find our winning ways in the 2nd half of the season.

Yeah, Rodgers keeps omitting Borini obviously to make a point that he should have left in summer too.
They've been shaky at the back but their attacking quality and gk is what'll get them top 4. Like today's game v Soton, they didn't play well but RVP took his chances and DDG made a few saves and they came away with the 3 points.

I'm pretty sure they'll beat us on Sunday.

Original post by Mackay
Convinced they'll beat us tbh.

Original post by samir12
Just hope United don't pull off another jammy win against us, would rather they win deservedly (which isn't exactly hard to do against us though)

essentially i agree.
i don't feel like we have the morale or the perception of luck right now to be able to go to OT and come away with anything.
and it's a real shame because 10 points is bloody big gap to closev when you consider the quality and the resources united have over us.

i don't see a positive week for us - we won't win both matches but the awful thing is that both are absolute must win.

but you never know, this is football!
we just saw a team raped for 90 minutes and still come away with all 3 points...
anything can happen.
Original post by Mackay
Yeah, Rodgers keeps omitting Borini obviously to make a point that he should have left in summer too.

He should have gone tbh, he isn't good enough for us. Sunderland is the perfect level for him, apparently they might make a bid for him in January.

We better by a competent striker who fits into our system this January or our already slim top 4 hopes will vanish completely.
He should have gone tbh, he isn't good enough for us. Sunderland is the perfect level for him, apparently they might make a bid for him in January.

Poyet hinted at making a bid post-match on Saturrday.
Also, Poyet's quotes last year about us being a mid-table side without Suarez are SO true.
Well hopefully we can win the game tomorrow..
I'm quite confident about tommorow tbh, dunno why but just am :tongue:

Basel were there for the taking at their ground, Sterlings finishing was just atrocious though...
Our leaked kit for next season is dire.

Quick Reply

Latest