Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephineE)
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yes of course act professional but it sounds less scary! Should I be worried they haven't yet asked me to teach? I thought that was pretty standard.
    Also, does it mean anything negative if the post has been readvertised? xx
    I had an informal interview during my PGCE year and was offered the job (although I didn't take it since I'd been to another interview that morning and was offered that too).

The reason it was an informal chat rather than a full-day's interview process was that they had already advertised. They had interviewed a few candidates and sent them all home at lunchtime because they weren't good enough.

I would say to make sure you take evidence with you of your teaching, since they won't see you teach. I took my final placement report (it was this time 2 years ago - the week before half-term - and I'd just had my report) and a copy of a lesson plan to discuss, as that's what they requested. If yours haven't requested anything, it still might be a good idea.

Personally, I didn't take the job because I didn't feel I knew enough about the school - I hadn't had a tour, met any pupils or taught a lesson. I also had a friend who was on placement there and it seemed quite demanding, like nothing she ever did was good enough. By contrast, at the school where I had the other interview the same day, I'd met loads of pupils, taught a lesson, had a thorough tour, met staff in the staffroom at break, plus I had worked there for a few weeks before my PGCE.

To be fair though, I would have taken it straight away if I hadn't been offered 2 jobs on the same day, so go for it. If you feel like I did, and they offer you the job, you could always ask for the opportunity to come in and visit before you confirm the offer, on the basis that you haven't had a full interview and seen the school.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've been invited to three interviews tomorrow.

Had to cancel one, and then I've let one of the others know I can't attend tomorrow because of the other one and now they've got back to me to offer an interview this afternoon.

I can't get to them in time to teach their interview lesson (any topic, any age group) but I can get there at the end of the school day to be interviewed.

WHAT DO I DO. Trying to call but getting no reply. Surely the other one wouldn't be so desperate to interview me unless they really really wanted me?

AGHGDHFGDJGFADG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I've been invited to three interviews tomorrow.

Had to cancel one, and then I've let one of the others know I can't attend tomorrow because of the other one and now they've got back to me to offer an interview this afternoon.

I can't get to them in time to teach their interview lesson (any topic, any age group) but I can get there at the end of the school day to be interviewed.

WHAT DO I DO. Trying to call but getting no reply. Surely the other one wouldn't be so desperate to interview me unless they really really wanted me?

AGHGDHFGDJGFADG
    How much do you want to work for the one which ha the interview this afternoon?

Also, keep calm!!!!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    This is definitely something I've felt a couple of times - my second placement is a very rough all-girls school. So I wouldn't say you should worry about how you feel. If you don't like the way you're being addressed, ask them to leave the room. After a couple of minutes to calm down, go out and explain that you felt they were disrespectful (much better to say than intimidating) and that isn't acceptable in your classroom. Be sure to have exact examples of disrespect in mind for when they inevitably claim they weren't doing anything wrong, then make it clear you won't allow them in the classroom if that's the way they want to be have. After doing this a couple of times, even my most aggressive pupil learned some respect.
    Thank you, will keep this in mind when it's needed. It was my final lesson with her - as you know girls can hold grudges for life so I wanted to end on a good note. Hope she moves on with her life in a positive manner.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I was wondering if anyone's at Sheffield Hallam this year and if so, how has it been in terms of organisation (and how is the course generally)? I'm starting Primary in September and getting a bit concerned as I have heard absolutely nothing from them yet in terms of induction day, pre-course work etc - they haven't even given us a start date yet!

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    How much do you want to work for the one which ha the interview this afternoon?

Also, keep calm!!!!

xxx
    Not enough. I called and said I couldn't do it but to keep me in mind if they readvertise. They seemed okay with that.

I know I definitely want the one tomorrow. I might not get it but I think it's the right decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybears)
    Hiya, I was wondering if anyone's at Sheffield Hallam this year and if so, how has it been in terms of organisation (and how is the course generally)? I'm starting Primary in September and getting a bit concerned as I have heard absolutely nothing from them yet in terms of induction day, pre-course work etc - they haven't even given us a start date yet!

Thanks
    I don't know anything about Sheffield Hallam but I wouldn't worry about pre-course stuff. We still have a good while left and the main thing to do is relax and prepare mentally for the course! They are probably still thinking about how this year has gone and how they should base next year on that.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Got a 2 for my final placement. So happy right now! Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Final day of my placement tomorrow, passed with a 2 but think i may get in from school tomorrow nd either sob/throwup/fall asleep, not necessarily in that order....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    Got a 2 for my final placement. So happy right now! Thanks guys!
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Final day of my placement tomorrow, passed with a 2 but think i may get in from school tomorrow nd either sob/throwup/fall asleep, not necessarily in that order....
    Well done guys! I'm still on a 3 at the moment, hoping to be where you guys are soon!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to all those coming to the end. Majorly jealous. Well done with your 2s.

It's been a journey hasn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I don't know anything about Sheffield Hallam but I wouldn't worry about pre-course stuff. We still have a good while left and the main thing to do is relax and prepare mentally for the course! They are probably still thinking about how this year has gone and how they should base next year on that.

xxx
    Thanks for the reassurance! Lots of other people seem to be getting all kinds of info so I got a bit worried - but like you said it is only May good luck with the rest of your placement!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm on interview sitting in their staff room. So nervous. Just the actual interview to go. Fingers crossed I'm not cut.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Got through to the end of the day. Just waiting to hear now. That's definitely the worst bit for me. I feel like I can't answer anything as well as somebody with experience could.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got through to the end of the day. Just waiting to hear now. That's definitely the worst bit for me. I feel like I can't answer anything as well as somebody with experience could.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fingers crossed for you. They know how much experience you've got, so they won't expect you to know everything already.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Fingers crossed for you. They know how much experience you've got, so they won't expect you to know everything already.
    Didn't get it Went for the experienced candidate again based on strength of lesson. We were neck and neck apart from her slightly better lesson. Gah.

Annoying. At what point do I start to worry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Didn't get it Went for the experienced candidate again based on strength of lesson. We were neck and neck apart from her slightly better lesson. Gah.

Annoying. At what point do I start to worry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh dear. I am sorry. I wouldn't worry just yet. The longer time goes on, the more the odds are in your favour as existing members of staff won't be able to give their notice in in time to start in September. After May 31st, new NQTs have pretty much got it all to themselves.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Oh dear. I am sorry. I wouldn't worry just yet. The longer time goes on, the more the odds are in your favour as existing members of staff won't be able to give their notice in in time to start in September. After May 31st, new NQTs have pretty much got it all to themselves.
    I'm not too gutted. Everyone's telling me that not getting it is just more experience for the one I do finally set my heart on.

Just found another to apply for much closer to home (and my girlfriend's workplace) so I'll go and get that application sorted when I get home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too gutted. Everyone's telling me that not getting it is just more experience for the one I do finally set my heart on.

Just found another to apply for much closer to home (and my girlfriend's workplace) so I'll go and get that application sorted when I get home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's the spirit.

ReputationRep:
    I stupidly booked a holiday without thinking for two weeks in June once I've finished the course and I'm dreading my perfect job interviewing in that fortnight. However there is not much I can do about that now.

Sorry you didn't get the job ParadoxSocks. I know that dropping feeling you get when they tell you . Onwards though... I don't think we have to worry just yet. I seem like the only trainee on my course without a job at the moment!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.