Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Dinendal Leralonde
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LastLordofTime)
And it would only be a spoiler if the scene hadn't aired yet.
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
It's not a spoiler because it's filler rather than dialogue relevant to the plot. It's just something for Matt to say.
But I gathered by the whispering it in River's ear that we weren't supposed to know yet.
Tasneemo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I always assumed the Doctor whispered his name in her ear? which makes sense when she says 'i'm sure she already knows that.'
Tasneemo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fwed1)
Is it something to do with children? It seems to come up when children are about (Mel being Amy's child) (red balloon when the ganger meets his kid)
ooooh that makes sense! I wander what all thse little clues lead to though in the end
Tasneemo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When the Doctor said 'come on, there must be someone left in the universe I haven't screwed up yet!', was anyone else thinking 'ME!!11!eleven!!! You haven't screwed me up yet, choose me!!'
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What with the reports that this will be the 'scariest' episode yet who reckons Sunday will see newspaper reports once again suggesting that Dr Who has become too scary for kids.
TheCrackInTime
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This Saturday will be the first time since 2005, that I haven't watched the new episode as it goes out.
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheCrackInTime)
This Saturday will be the first time since 2005, that I haven't watched the new episode as it goes out.
I'm so sad to miss it this weekend
LastLordofTime
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They'll lay off it for a bit - just like how Moffat said he'd lay off the Daleks for a bit :teehee:
sleekchic
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
I probably won't watch tomorrow's episode until Sunday because of a wedding.
vixki
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pictures and stuff from Night Terrors:

http://tv.uk.msn.com/images.aspx?cp-...ntid=159033432

(says 'night terrors spoilers', it's not very spoilery but still)
Gaara.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Think this should be in a spoiler, don't know the rules but:

Spoiler:
Show

So 32 minutes is the time before he dies during the first episode, and its 32 minutes before he dies from the poison?? This surely isn't coincidence is it?

LastLordofTime
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's most likely by design, rather than coincidence - but that doesn't mean it has any meaning.
elitepower
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My main concern with Doctor Who at this point is the overuse and cheapening of regeneration. It used to be this rare thing that was used at pivotal moments. Now in this series alone, we've had the effect used 4 times within 8 episodes. I understand that it is relevant to the context (River regenerating because she has time lord DNA) but it's getting tiring.

There are points where it really does act as a shock, say the Master's regeneration in Utopia or is emotional, 10th Doctor's regeneration in The End of Time. I'd say the little girl's regeneration was also a good time to use it. The Doctor's failed regeneration in The Impossible Astronaut was good in highlighting times when regeneration can fail. But the absolutely embarassingly cheap use of it in The Stolen Earth and River 'healing' the Doctor in Let's Kill Hitler (at least some of the deus ex machinas aren't so blatantly obvious) by using all her regenerations has degraded the effect.

I hope they lay off it for a while.
4 times? What was the fourth? I know the doctor in an impossible astronaut, the little girl in the day of the moon and river in lets kill hitler but can`t think of a fourth. Although I agree it has been used a lot recently and I didn`t see the point of river using up all her regenerations as the way she died would prevent regenation so why waste her regenerations?
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The fourth regeneration effect was River using up all her future regenerations as some way to bring back the Doctor without regenerating him yet using the power of regeneration.

EDIT: And yeah I agree. It seemed like Moffat wanted that out of the way. The electricity surge in Forest of the Dead would have killed the Doctor so River stood no chance. But I think he was trying to get the question of 'could River regenerate at other points in her timeline if she came close to death?' out of the way. And a pretty lame way to do it IMO. Why wasn't one regeneration enough to bring back the Doctor? Why all of them?
Aren't regenerations capped by some sort of Time Lord council as well? So technically they are unlimited and not a biological birth function. On top of that I really don't see how you could 'give' them away.

I think that was probably the worst plot point of the last couple of series.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aye and they can be granted new ones. But that was probably removed during the Time War or in the aftermath of it. It seems strange that River would have a cap when she is not, technically, a time lord nor Gallifreyan. :dontknow:

The 10th Doctor managed to heal himself fine when he was close to death and then sent the remaining power into his hand and the utter mess that followed from that. Admittedly, 11th Doctor was already dead but River giving all of her regenerations to just bring him back...meh. The teaser wasn't wrong when they said that the solution to one problem was 'pure RTD'.

There are a lot of inconsistencies concerning regeneration in general. Deliberate, I suspect so the writers will find it easier to adjust the nature of regeneration and retcon.

Now I think about it, I think Moffat might have made River use all of her regenerations so that it answers the question of why she didn't bring back the dead Doctor on the beach (if he had adjusted to make it one regeneration wasted in Let's Kill Hitler). Now he effectively doesn't have to deal with that question *cough* magical bring back the dead plot hole *cough*. :holmes:
It is all just a mess. Which is why, whilst I can enjoy River, I find her to be a major problem in the show, generally just creating one huge cluster ****.

I do hope it gets explained at some point how she can regenerate as the Doctor has made no sign to her having two hearts or any of the other Time Lord attributes linked to someone with regenerations.
Dinendal Leralonde
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moffet's kinda shot himself in the foot...Now, if Alex is busy, or doesn't want to come back, then he can't use a previous incarnation of Melody, because she regenerated once into Mels, once again into River, and then used up her remaining regenerations.
elitepower
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The fourth regeneration effect was River using up all her future regenerations as some way to bring back the Doctor without regenerating him yet using the power of regeneration.

EDIT: And yeah I agree. It seemed like Moffat wanted that out of the way. The electricity surge in Forest of the Dead would have killed the Doctor so River stood no chance. But I think he was trying to get the question of 'could River regenerate at other points in her timeline if she came close to death?' out of the way. And a pretty lame way to do it IMO. Why wasn't one regeneration enough to bring back the Doctor? Why all of them?
Ah, I see. I agree with you that they should limit the regenerations as it should feel like an event when it occurs. But since we saw River die in this regeneration, I think it was pretty clear she wasn`t going to regenerate again so found it a tad pointless. I would have prefered if only River knew the cure then told/gave it to him or something along those lines. There really need to set some regeneration boundaries instead of each writer trying to put their own spin on it, like they do with time travel.
Bobbler
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LastLordofTime)
They'll lay off it for a bit - just like how Moffat said he'd lay off the Daleks for a bit :teehee:
All of this series is leading up to a big fight with the Daleks
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Gutted I won't see episode tonight.

Re: why it took all of River's regenerations to save the Doctor, I assume it's cos she's only PART time lord, he is fully time lord therefore needs more timey wimey stuff :yep:
Dinendal Leralonde
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
Gutted I won't see episode tonight.

Re: why it took all of River's regenerations to save the Doctor, I assume it's cos she's only PART time lord, he is fully time lord therefore needs more timey wimey stuff :yep:
I won't either 14.5 hour shift, starting at 1:30PM. Today is gonna suck big-time!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads