Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    One thing I've learnt from this summer and window is that Wenger definitely plays a big part in the miserliness. It's not just Gazidis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Bale...

In lots of clubs the captain isn't the first name on the team sheet... eg. Terry, Gerrard...
    Terry under benitez yes, under every other manager no and gerrard had played every minute of every premier league match until mid february. He probably had more or just as much gametime as reina did last season.

ReputationRep:
    £85 million for Bale is insane and Spurs would be pretty crazy if they didn't accept it. As good as Bale is, he's only really had one world class season and I think it would be hard for Spurs to get anything like that for him next season. If they do sell him then its bad news for us in the longer term as they could use that money to expand their club. If they do keep him then I think the team will become even more reliable on him which is good cause if he has a month out of form or gets injured, that will make our top 4 challenge easier.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine what spurs could do with £85mill. Buy 2 Genuinely world class players.

Edit: Spurs selling Bale is the equivalent of being in the champions league for like 3 seasons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)

Edit: Spurs selling Bale is the equivalent of being in the champions league for like 3 seasons
    The financial side is one thing but I assume playing in it is another.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)

The CL is worth more like £50m. You can see the arguments for not wanting to sell, if he could get them there.

But yeah you could argue the two world class players could get them there too. But why would two world class players go there?

ReputationRep:
    Walcott should of been at bale's level by now.. sooo what happened? walcott has been in a better team, playing regular CL football and is always in the england squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    Also, I don't see why we should be after a 4th choice CB. I'd rather just have a versatile player who can play as a CB and another position so we don't waste a squad space on someone who'd barely play..
    Luiz Gustavo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Walcott should of been at bale's level by now.. sooo what happened? walcott has been in a better team, playing regular CL football and is always in the england squad.
    We never realised how bad he would be, I think wenger had the chance to sign Bale but still to this day thinks he made the correct decision.

Wenger ay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    The CL is worth more like £50m. You can see the arguments for not wanting to sell, if he could get them there.

But yeah you could argue the two world class players could get them there too. But why would two world class players go there?
    Even with Bale staying there is no guarantee that they will secure 4th place. Spurs are a very good team at the moment but Liverpool have already improved and we are always in with a good shout for 4th place. Selling him on the other hand would mean that they could use the funds for a variety of purposes- paying for the new stadium, improving their training facilities and quite possibly 2 new players which would make them a more rounded team thats not just reliable on one player.

Selling him would no doubt be bad news for us in the longer term and if they use the extra money in this transfer window then it could be bad for us in the shorter term as well. I'm hoping that he stays for this reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    We never realised how bad he would be, I think wenger had the chance to sign Bale but still to this day thinks he made the correct decision.

Wenger ay?
    When Bale was at Southampton, he played as a LB. A position in which we already had several experienced players playing well. I don't think Walcott was a bad signing anyway..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Even with Bale staying there is no guarantee that they will secure 4th place. Spurs are a very good team at the moment but Liverpool have already improved and we are always in with a good shout for 4th place. Selling him on the other hand would mean that they could use the funds for a variety of purposes- paying for the new stadium, improving their training facilities and quite possibly 2 new players which would make them a more rounded team thats not just reliable on one player.

Selling him would no doubt be bad news for us in the longer term and if they use the extra money in this transfer window then it could be bad for us in the shorter term as well. I'm hoping that he stays for this reason.
    If we spend what we have, we can bring in players of better quality than what they can. Take Suarez for example. We have a chance of getting him, they don't. But the question is, will we spend? Tottenham will for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    If we spend what we have, we can bring in players of better quality than what they can. Take Suarez for example. We have a chance of getting him, they don't. But the question is, will we spend? Tottenham will for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeh im getting really worried, there is no one in the market other than suarez as a striker. On top of that we need another midfielder and defender along with a left sided midfilder/winger possibly.

ReputationRep:
    Bernard spoke to the Brazilian press yesterday, in case anyone's interested:

Talking about the fact he'd like to stay at Atlético until after the club world cup, but knowing it might not be possible:
    "We are looking at this possibility. I want it to be resolved ASAP. This soap opera is becoming boring. It will be resolved ASAP. Of course I want to stay, but if I have to go now, I will sign. To go to the World Cup is super important for me."
    "There's a big chance that the game next week will be my last. Nothing is definite but it's a possibility. I leave it in the hands of God and wait for the right moment"

Talking about his options and his dad saying he would probably be going to Porto :

"This is the wish of my father. Sometimes he speaks from his heart, but we have to stop, see what is best, and see all the possibilities. We have to look at all the details so I don't regret anything later. We are studying all the options to see what's best"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    yeh im getting really worried, there is no one in the market other than suarez as a striker. On top of that we need another midfielder and defender along with a left sided midfilder/winger possibly.
    If Wenger wants to go for the title and CL, we need what you say and a goalkeeper I think. But if he's content with just getting fourth, we probably won't need that many.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Bernard spoke to the Brazilian press yesterday, in case anyone's interested:

Talking about the fact he'd like to stay at Atlético until after the club world cup, but knowing it might not be possible:

Talking about his options and his dad saying he would probably be going to Porto :
    I heard that the 3rd party people aren't willing to sell off whatever percentage rights of him that they own so he's either off to Spain or Porto or one of the Eastern European clubs. Hopes he goes to Spain or Porto route if he does decides to leave. Should stay at Atletico tbfh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I heard that the 3rd party people aren't willing to sell off whatever percentage rights of him.
    interesting, hadn't heard anything about that.

I reckon he'll go in january after the club world cup. He and his agent are definitely pushing strongly for a move to Europe so it's gonna happen sooner or later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I heard that the 3rd party people aren't willing to sell off whatever percentage rights of him that they own so he's either off to Spain or Porto or one of the Eastern European clubs. Hopes he goes to Spain or Porto route if he does decides to leave. Should stay at Atletico tbfh.
    Learn some more tricks from Ronaldinho.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fans are a strange bunch on twitter. Proper trying to argue that Walcott is better or just as good as Bale.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)
    Arsenal fans are a strange bunch on twitter. Proper trying to argue that Walcott is better or just as good as Bale.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Isn't that just people on twitter in general.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.