Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    You can definitely* do better if you want to

*I don't actually know you, you might be particularly academically challenged, so don't hold me to that
    haha i don't know i had A*s and As in my as choices at gcse but as is pretty different compared to gcses at the mo aha. Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat_LPS)
    haha i don't know i had A*s and As in my as choices at gcse but as is pretty different compared to gcses at the mo aha. Thanks though
    Are you enjoying A Levels so far? I'm finding them really fun I have a great Chemistry teacher, and the other teachers are fine also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    anyone else doing the studentinvestor.org competition?
    I might do. My college has done very well in the past so there's a lot of teachers encouraging the economics and accounting students to do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cluck)
    I might do. My college has done very well in the past so there's a lot of teachers encouraging the economics and accounting students to do it
    ooh how successful is successful? you should definitely have a go because it's not really a massive commitment as you could just leave it to fizzle out if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    ooh how successful is successful? you should definitely have a go because it's not really a massive commitment as you could just leave it to fizzle out if that makes sense?
    Is it the one held in London?

ReputationRep:
    I think a team of ours was second in the past few years. Unless I get hooked in by some economics students I can't do it though, I think. (also I am so happy to be done with economics after doing it last year, I don't particularly want to touch it with a barge pole )

ReputationRep:
    Are you enjoying A Levels so far? I'm finding them really fun I have a great Chemistry teacher, and the other teachers are fine also.
    yup overall, i like being able to have a bit more time to really go through something or practice in frees now, they're nice
    Awesome. Yeah same with Chem, our teacher's great-different aha. From what people are saying the chem/science teachers are seeming more interesting than expected
    I'm glad they're all willing to help so I hope this continues
    Are you being tested a lot?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yup overall, i like being able to have a bit more time to really go through something or practice in frees now, they're nice
    Awesome. Yeah same with Chem, our teacher's great-different aha. From what people are saying the chem/science teachers are seeming more interesting than expected
    I'm glad they're all willing to help so I hope this continues
    Are you being tested a lot?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I guess I am. I don't really think about it It is nice to actually get personal feedback from teachers, rather than generalised notes about the entire class.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    anyone else doing the studentinvestor.org competition?
    Did it last year and will do it next year (I'm doing something else for my extracurricular activity atm). Last year we screwed up thanks to a bad call on Diageo and Eurasian by the other guys in the team but excellent calls on our significant mining exposure meant we still achieved double digit returns in the three month timeframe which wasn't too bad. (but not enough to progress through)

Not a fan of how you can't short a stock though. Nor of the lack of AIM market exposure (although you do have some in the Small cap 50?). My recommendation would be to trade for the short term, as in buying a stock with a one month outlook. The very short time frame of the competition means buying a stock you think is undervalued is not enough. It's more about stocks with catalysts that can boost the share price up in a short time frame, netting you returns. Think a lawsuit win, a radical new product, new changes in production that boosts efficiency and cut costs, etc. If you can call these correctly by getting information from the right sources, it's not that hard to do well. Unfortunately this game teaches you more about trading and speculating on future short term market momentum rather than fundamental value investing.

There's also a way of manipulating a certain feature of the game which I won't share...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Last year we screwed up thanks to a bad call on Diageo and Eurasian
    Us too! Lost most of our money!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Is it the one held in London?
    it's an online competition for the first round and then there are regional finals and a national final, which I presume is held in london

(Original post by Cluck)
    I think a team of ours was second in the past few years. Unless I get hooked in by some economics students I can't do it though, I think. (also I am so happy to be done with economics after doing it last year, I don't particularly want to touch it with a barge pole )
    ooh that's good, it's the first year my school's done it

(Original post by The Financier)
    Did it last year and will do it next year (I'm doing something else for my extracurricular activity atm). Last year we screwed up thanks to a bad call on Diageo and Eurasian by the other guys in the team but excellent calls on our significant mining exposure meant we still achieved double digit returns in the three month timeframe which wasn't too bad. (but not enough to progress through)

Not a fan of how you can't short a stock though. Nor of the lack of AIM market exposure (although you do have some in the Small cap 50?). My recommendation would be to trade for the short term, as in buying a stock with a one month outlook. The very short time frame of the competition means buying a stock you think is undervalued is not enough. It's more about stocks with catalysts that can boost the share price up in a short time frame, netting you returns. Think a lawsuit win, a radical new product, new changes in production that boosts efficiency and cut costs, etc. If you can call these correctly by getting information from the right sources, it's not that hard to do well. Unfortunately this game teaches you more about trading and speculating on future short term market momentum rather than fundamental value investing.

There's also a way of manipulating a certain feature of the game which I won't share...
    yeah I feel like the short term nature leaves you at a bit of a disadvantage if you're really trying to look at the long term trends, and that you could easily make a killing by just randomly picking some (although I guess you could say that's what the stock market's like anyway). you've left me really intrigued by this feature now :confused: which feature even is it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freypops)
    Us too! Lost most of our money!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ouch! We had rio tinto and anglo american as well which parred the losses. We'll be better prepared next time around hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    Heey people I'm new

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marinajelly)
    Heey people I'm new

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Hey what are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey what are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths, F.Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Psychology, Latin, Creative Writing (that last one is super easy so it's not as bad as it sounds ).

You?

ReputationRep:
    Hi to all fellow lower sixth gentlebirds and gentlemen!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hellew all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    x
    Welcome to the thread which subjects do you do then?

(Original post by Judge Jasel)
    Hi to all fellow lower sixth gentlebirds and gentlemen!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Seen you around a bit now, hi there! Which subjects do you study then?

Hellew all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Welcome to the thread which subjects do you do then?

Seen you around a bit now, hi there! Which subjects do you study then?

Hi
    Hi! how are you? Currently doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English lit. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.