Yeh, it sucks being on the app!
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I have spent the last two hours writing out a bill which is very difficult to do in the new text type box when the number go to the side out of sight, the backspace does not work to delete lines, and pasting things in from Word changes the format.
Haha, that does sound extremely annoying!
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Should do a Reagan. Sack them if they go on strike with unreasonable demands. Plenty of unemployed would jump at the chance to get a job whatever the pay, so they're easily replaceable. If you don't get people going for the now available jobs, then it shows they were being paid too little and you raise the salary in the future.
Slightly trickier with healthcare workers / teachers as these need more training so can't just parachute any tom, **** or harry in. Teachers have no reason to strike though - never have.
Outrageous attitude. Do you feel that maternity pay, sick pay, etc. are completely unnecessary then?

Also very unfair to the vocational degrees. Nurses are shockingly underpaid, doctors are actually underpaid as well, teachers too. What you get then is very important, personal jobs being given to people who aren't passionate about the work. Even economically that's a disaster.

Tell me again, the politicians need that 11% pay rise to ensure top quality people go into politics, but nurses shouldn't get their 1%?
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Yeh, it sucks being on the app!
Oh my, I know right! But i find the website so difficult to respond with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anon_98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I have spent the last two hours writing out a bill which is very difficult to do in the new text type box when the number go to the side out of sight, the backspace does not work to delete lines, and pasting things in from Word changes the format.
I'm sorry. ;(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
mobbsy91
MOAR WINE!
please
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
mobbsy91
MOAR WINE!
please
I'll join you actually,

OI BARKEEP!! mobbsy91, A GLASS OF HOUSE RED M8!!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
I'll join you actually,

OI BARKEEP!! mobbsy91, A GLASS OF HOUSE RED M8!!
Well...I suppose at least it's red
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well...I suppose at least it's red
I'm not made of money. I went to a bar today near Liverpool street and they charged £5 a pint.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not made of money. I went to a bar today near Liverpool street and they charged £5 a pint.
That's not much, when I was at Olympia last year I was charged more than that for a half
This is why I love student bars, NUS might stop us getting any decent drinks, but the stuff we do have is at a decent price (except the shots) to say it's being served in a bar/pub.
Nearly bought a bottle of HoC house Merlot signed by DCam last year, annoyingly my girlfriend at the time was at the toilet when I was questioning whether to keep going so couldn't confirm my thoughts it was a good idea (went for £120 in the end, so not too much). Apparently, at the ball the previous year, so the story goes, there was a bottle signed by Balls in the raffle and somebody just cracked it open at their table
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's not much, when I was at Olympia last year I was charged more than that for a half
This is why I love student bars, NUS might stop us getting any decent drinks, but the stuff we do have is at a decent price (except the shots) to say it's being served in a bar/pub.
Nearly bought a bottle of HoC house Merlot signed by DCam last year, annoyingly my girlfriend at the time was at the toilet when I was questioning whether to keep going so couldn't confirm my thoughts it was a good idea (went for £120 in the end, so not too much). Apparently, at the ball the previous year, so the story goes, there was a bottle signed by Balls in the raffle and somebody just cracked it open at their table
So you local to London then or just study here?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So you local to London then or just study here?
Nah, Cambridgeshire, study in York, go to London for one event or another at least once per year, and the theatre most years too.
Hoping to be local to London after I graduate though.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nah, Cambridgeshire, study in York, go to London for one event or another at least once per year.
Oh, well you coming to the meet?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh, well you coming to the meet?
I intend to. Can't say I'm looking forward to the London booze prices. Thankfully the decent clubs here also have decent drinks prices, and I don't go out at home because it's just **** in Cambridge for going out.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I intend to. Can't say I'm looking forward to the London booze prices. Thankfully the decent clubs here also have decent drinks prices, and I don't go out at home because it's just **** in Cambridge for going out.
We could always go for a crawl heading east, the further east the cheaper the booze.

Going out gets addictive in London, which is only bad because of how expensive it is. Anymore than once a fortnight and you're broke.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We could always go for a crawl heading east, the further east the cheaper the booze.

Going out gets addictive in London, which is only bad because of how expensive it is. Anymore than once a fortnight and you're broke.

Even at student bars I run over budget and in the cheap cheap North (not that York is that cheap). Running something like £2k over budget this year (academic) due to going to the bar every night for the last 4 months. Going absolutely mad on nights out (up to a week's budget in one night)
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Even at student bars I run over budget and in the cheap cheap North (not that York is that cheap). Running something like £2k over budget this year (academic) due to going to the bar every night for the last 4 months. Going absolutely mad on nights out (up to a week's budget in one night)
oohhh, wow. How did that play out?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oohhh, wow. How did that play out?
I don't remember the vast majority of the night.
3 pints (£2.50 ea), 4 cocktails (2 for £6, 2 measures each), 15 shots (probably about £30 combined) before leaving campus. Then went into town and got a nice cigar (by a process of elimination I'm pretty sure a Quintero) and smoked that while having 3 proper zombies (about 6-7 measures each, decent price though, only a fiver each) before heading to the club and having at least half a dozen cans of strongbow and I have no idea how many more shots.
The last thing I remember for certain was leaving the cocktail bar because they were closing, in terms of the end of the night I'm not sure which it was, I think one of the uneventful ones (bar taking my boots off and throwing them in the bin in my room).
I remember one night, although I'm pretty sure it was after a social rather than a spontaneous night out, I ended talking to some guys outside the club and getting a taxi part way home with them, they stopped off at a petrol station to get more booze. While there they broke something and gave me a bottle of stella coz why the hell not. Then I'm pretty sure I managed to take a wrong turn on the way home (even though it was follow the road <100yrds, turn right, follow the road back to campus) and got lost for a while in a residential estate near uni, I think, might have been a dream but pretty sure it was real. I don't remember staggering home, I don't remember getting home. The next thing I remember is being unable to take my boots off so just going to bed with my trousers round my ankles XD
Good times.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Morning all. Oh gods, it's nearly 25 past 5, why am I up so early?
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Outrageous attitude. Do you feel that maternity pay, sick pay, etc. are completely unnecessary then?

Also very unfair to the vocational degrees. Nurses are shockingly underpaid, doctors are actually underpaid as well, teachers too. What you get then is very important, personal jobs being given to people who aren't passionate about the work. Even economically that's a disaster.

Tell me again, the politicians need that 11% pay rise to ensure top quality people go into politics, but nurses shouldn't get their 1%?
And there was me thinking the education system was meant to be ok in Ireland. You must be the exception. Read before opening gob tends to help.

Anyway, I agree nurses are criminally underpaid. Doctors and teachers are most certainly not. Politicians are overpaid and need their pay cutting.
My point was manual labour jobs / jobs that don't require a degree / extensive training you can let the markets decide how much to pay. If tube drivers want to moan they don't get paid enough to sit on their backsides all day, sack them, and see how hundreds of people will happily take their job.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (94)
24.35%
No (292)
75.65%

Watched Threads