Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybears)
    Thanks for the reassurance! Lots of other people seem to be getting all kinds of info so I got a bit worried - but like you said it is only May good luck with the rest of your placement!
    I'm not on placement but thanks! Actually did the PGCE the year before last. I just realised I said we in my post as if I am starting another... Dear god no! It was an amazing experience but one is enough for life lol.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I seem like the only trainee on my course without a job at the moment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I felt like the only trainee without a job on mine too... Even in to the start of the school year! But it worked out fine, I still finished my NQT year by the next summer. And, as it happened, I came across several other people who didn't just go straight into a year of teaching. They just aren't as easy to spot when you are worrying and your friends are getting jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else stupid enough to sign up for GCSE or A-Level exam marking alongside a PGCE?

(Original post by kpwxx)
    I felt like the only trainee without a job on mine too... Even in to the start of the school year! But it worked out fine, I still finished my NQT year by the next summer. And, as it happened, I came across several other people who didn't just go straight into a year of teaching. They just aren't as easy to spot when you are worrying and your friends are getting jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I guess there will be others in my position too (this thread proves it!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I'm not on placement but thanks! Actually did the PGCE the year before last. I just realised I said we in my post as if I am starting another... Dear god no! It was an amazing experience but one is enough for life lol.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In that case good luck with the rest of the term? :P

ReputationRep:
    Still don't know if I'm going to pass this course. Am going through a formal process to decide what happens next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Still don't know if I'm going to pass this course. Am going through a formal process to decide what happens next.
    How much time on placement do you have left? I can't believe it has come down to this for you and I'm so sorry to hear it. The course is bad enough without being on the edge of not passing it. When will you know the outcome of this 'formal process'?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me some advice?

I get 60 masters credits on my pgce and I found out I failed my 10 credit essay today (I got 46). They said it was well written but completely didn't answer the question. I disagree. No matter how much I reread it I don't understand how it doesn't answer it but that's besides the point.

Does anyone have any idea what happens if 10 of my credits are passed at level 6 and the rest at level 7? Do I not get a pgce?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I get 60 masters credits on my pgce and I found out I failed my 10 credit essay today (I got 46). They said it was well written but completely didn't answer the question. I disagree. No matter how much I reread it I don't understand how it doesn't answer it but that's besides the point.

Does anyone have any idea what happens if 10 of my credits are passed at level 6 and the rest at level 7? Do I not get a pgce?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't answer your question directly ... I just wonder why you can't resubmit? A couple of people on my course were down to the wire on a couple of deadlines and decided to just submit any old crap because they could hand another in a few days later. Guess different unis do things differently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel.h)
    I can't answer your question directly ... I just wonder why you can't resubmit? A couple of people on my course were down to the wire on a couple of deadlines and decided to just submit any old crap because they could hand another in a few days later. Guess different unis do things differently?
    I'm pretty sure I can resubmit at some point but their feedback makes no sense to me. I guess I was wondering what would happen if I did not get 50 again.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm looking into making a formal complaint against my uni about my essay. I'm not allowed to appeal apparently, so that is the next best thing. I don't really know what else to do because I feel it has been badly marked. They said I did not follow the brief, and that is pretty much the only thing wrong with it, yet I look at the brief and I have followed it to a T. For this reason I want a remark as I don't think I should have to resubmit it. I'm fuming.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the brief again and the assessment criteria. Can you match those?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Airfairy - I think what would happen is you would get a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education. Also known as a PGCE. It just means it was overall passed at level 6 rather than level 7.

That's what my uni did last year, anyway. No one ever really knows or cares what level you passed at.

Also, what is really important is gaining QTS which is completely separate and is what qualifies you to teach. Many teachers from the old GTP program only have QTS and never studied for the academic PGCE qualification.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we were told that a mark of 40-49 was a pass at Honours level, but not a pass at Masters level. There was also the option to do H-level assignments (which were shorter and less theoretical, more reflective) if you failed M-level ones.

Unless you plan on using your credits to do a Masters in Education at a later date, all you really need is QTS. I'm pretty sure that in the past, PGCE courses weren't necessarily at Masters level anyway, it's a relatively recent thing as part of a push towards a more academically qualified teaching profession.

ReputationRep:
    How much time on placement do you have left? I can't believe it has come down to this for you and I'm so sorry to hear it. The course is bad enough without being on the edge of not passing it. When will you know the outcome of this 'formal process'?
    I only have a few weeks left which they have determined will not be enough for me to pass. One of the potential outcomes of this meeting is to extend my plavement by a couple of weeks. They may also reduce my teaching time to help me cope. I don't know when I will find out what's happening yet as we're on half term break and this needs to be discussed with my course leaders. It's quite an anxious time for me as failing to get a teaching job could result in me losing my house and the wedding I've already paid a deposit on. Not to mention that teaching is (and always has been) my dream career.

ReputationRep:
    I only have a few weeks left which they have determined will not be enough for me to pass. One of the potential outcomes of this meeting is to extend my plavement by a couple of weeks. They may also reduce my teaching time to help me cope. I don't know when I will find out what's happening yet as we're on half term break and this needs to be discussed with my course leaders. It's quite an anxious time for me as failing to get a teaching job could result in me losing my house and the wedding I've already paid a deposit on. Not to mention that teaching is (and always has been) my dream career.

They are helping so that is a sign that they believe in you...a couple of weeks is not a long time in the long run... I think you need to stop worrying about getting a job and concentrate on finishing your PGCE. Jobs will continue to come up all the time and there is always plenty of supply work which is a good experience when you start teaching.

Try to remain positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got any solutions at all to offer, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am and hope it works out for you. I'm a firm believer in the idea that what's meant to be won't pass you by, but that is small comfort right now. I do hope everything is all right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    Airfairy - I think what would happen is you would get a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education. Also known as a PGCE. It just means it was overall passed at level 6 rather than level 7.

That's what my uni did last year, anyway. No one ever really knows or cares what level you passed at.

Also, what is really important is gaining QTS which is completely separate and is what qualifies you to teach. Many teachers from the old GTP program only have QTS and never studied for the academic PGCE qualification.
    (Original post by myrtille)
    Yes, we were told that a mark of 40-49 was a pass at Honours level, but not a pass at Masters level. There was also the option to do H-level assignments (which were shorter and less theoretical, more reflective) if you failed M-level ones.

Unless you plan on using your credits to do a Masters in Education at a later date, all you really need is QTS. I'm pretty sure that in the past, PGCE courses weren't necessarily at Masters level anyway, it's a relatively recent thing as part of a push towards a more academically qualified teaching profession.
    So I'd get a professional certificate even if I got 50 out of 60 of my masters credits? I passed everything else with merit, it's just this tiny 10 credit essay.
    Oh I'm so sorry to hear that! It must be a very anxious time waiting to hear back. Extension of placement wouldn't be the end of the world and possibly a good idea if you feel you can make progress in that extra time.

Do keep us updated. I'm really sorry to hear about it all. I hope it all works out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We only submit 3 essays at 20 credits each. We have to get masters credits in 2/3 essays to get the PGCE, if we don't, we get a PCE (Professional Cert in Education)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    We only submit 3 essays at 20 credits each. We have to get masters credits in 2/3 essays to get the PGCE, if we don't, we get a PCE (Professional Cert in Education)
    Thanks for letting me know. I guess there's not much point asking others because every uni differs. I have three essays one is worth 30 credits, one is worth 20 and then I failed the 10 credit one. So I will be annoyed if I don't get the pgce part just because I failed the smallest one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for letting me know. I guess there's not much point asking others because every uni differs. I have three essays one is worth 30 credits, one is worth 20 and then I failed the 10 credit one. So I will be annoyed if I don't get the pgce part just because I failed the smallest one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do page 10-11 of this help? Looks like you could pass at level 6

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/Courses/Sub...Education.aspx

*edit* rubbish link! Programme specification that they sent me before applications
    Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.