The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RollerBall
No, it doesn't only present to those who have had rheumatic fever first. It is a massive risk factor though. You can get it due to bacterial endocarditus vegitation thingies (iirc) and through calcification of the valve.

EDIT: Beaten by Jessay

Such a good game (Y). Ending was a bit mreh though and it's not as good as the original but it's still a cracking good game. Will probably play through the expansion when I can be bothered to DL it with my absolutely shocking internet connection.

All of the boss fights were ****. The last one was especially bad, it took me about a minute. Bloody good game for this gen, though.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
All of the boss fights were ****. The last one was especially bad, it took me about a minute. Bloody good game for this gen, though.

Yeah, I played mostly stealthy so when it came to any bosses I always had 10 typhoon + like 10 grenade launcher rounds. Finished each boss in seconds.
Yeah, I played mostly stealthy so when it came to any bosses I always had 10 typhoon + like 10 grenade launcher rounds. Finished each boss in seconds.

Never bothered with the typhoon. :ahee: EMP/frag + machine pistol polished off the first two and the laser rifle made very, very short work of the last two. :rolleyes:

I began with a stealth & no kill playthrough, but I got bored so I compromised with stealth and unending slaughter.
Reply 6463
I survived an upper GI endoscopy without sedation! Woohoo! *runs around the forum rejoicing*

*dies*
Reply 6464
Original post by Skwee
I survived an upper GI endoscopy without sedation! Woohoo! *runs around the forum rejoicing*

*dies*
For the love of christ, why?

Enjoy the midazzle, you won't get offered it again.
Original post by Skwee

*dies*

Wow that's hardcore. OGDs are probably the most uncomfortable procedure I've had to watch so far, let alone being the one with the scope down your throat.
Reply 6466
I wasn't actually offered sedation (probably because I was scheduled off-the-record on a next-day basis), I got some lidocaine gel rubbed on the evil spaghetti string of doom which supposedly helped (lolz). I'm just glad my tutor wasn't there to watch the weird choking/near-vomiting/lack of breathing (I swear some neural circuits in my brain died in panic, couldn't use my nose! Argh!). All in all, a very very weird 2 minutes, not painful, just weird! Manageable I suppose.

I was epically hungry afterwards, after 2 weeks of intense anorexia...lol!
Wish there was another clinical cases thread. The last one was fun until it broke out into WW3.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Wish there was another clinical cases thread. The last one was fun until it broke out into WW3.

Subtle!

TBH that was pretty funny.
Create thread and let slip the dogs of war.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
TBH that was pretty funny.

Not gunna lie, it did entertain me.

Well, he's gone. I'll try to think of something.

We had an emergency chest re-opening on ITU today. I think it's simultaneously one of the most awesome things I've ever seen as well as one of the most terrifying.
Original post by Helenia
Well, he's gone. I'll try to think of something.

We had an emergency chest re-opening on ITU today. I think it's simultaneously one of the most awesome things I've ever seen as well as one of the most terrifying.

I presume it's not the same as when Izzie had to open up a sternotomy out of theatre in Grey's Anatomy? :daydreaming:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I presume it's not the same as when Izzie had to open up a sternotomy out of theatre in Grey's Anatomy? :daydreaming:

Every time I watch Grey's Anatomy I want to throw stuff at the TV, so I haven't seen that episode. :p:
Original post by Helenia
Every time I watch Grey's Anatomy I want to throw stuff at the TV, so I haven't seen that episode. :p:

I find that I throw far less than if I watch Holby City, and there is the soothing effect of Patrick Dempsey :love:
I find that I throw far less than if I watch Holby City, and there is the soothing effect of Patrick Dempsey :love:

He does nothing for me, I'm afraid. Plus they're all just SO whiny and annoying and ridiculous. Argh!

I'm sure a heart in an elevator would be more thrilling :ninja:
How the heck we're meant to remember stuff like the structure of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex (amongst a million other little things) is beyond me.. And the reasons behind learning stuff like that just seems pointless.

Workload in medicine is mad :/
Original post by Miss Purple
Ohh noo, the course is taught in English, I get lessons in Slovak so that I'm coherent enough for clinical years (which seems like a lifetime away). While I pay 2 arms and a frontal lobe in tuition the Slovaks get their education for free :dry: I'd say I've come terms with the fact that beggars can't be choosers. Aww thanks, but I think I'll be brave once if I manage to survive the 6 years :smile:

But if the course is taught in English, how do the non English speaking slovaks understand :s-smilie: Coherency in 3 years on top of med school-have fun! I guess you are amongst native speakers though. How are you paying for it? Is it just the English who pay extortionate fees for our education - it seems like everywhere else is free or minimally priced... Is there a certain quota for those allowed to go into the next year? How are you finding it in general?

Original post by Beska
Exam :afraid:

I remember that...

This metabolism... I don't even...

I'm seriously struggling with this years metabolism. Specifically the biochemistry /pharmacology of insulin, glucose, fats etc. There just seem to five thousand receptors and ligands with 50 different steps in between. I'm having real difficulty keeping concentration in lectures as they just pile acronyms on us.

Anyone reccommend some books with clear, easy diagrams or videos on the net showing the pathways? It doesn't help Ive forgotten essentially all of metabolism from last year bar the key concepts.

http://web.expasy.org/cgi-bin/pathways/show_thumbnails.pl :giggle:

Original post by Skwee
I wasn't actually offered sedation (probably because I was scheduled off-the-record on a next-day basis), I got some lidocaine gel rubbed on the evil spaghetti string of doom which supposedly helped (lolz).

Why were you having it done?

:sadnod:

Original post by Helenia

Is there actually any medicine in the show, it seems more like how many different ways can we partner up these 20 characters...

Question - What's the longest ward round you've been on?

Latest

Trending

Trending