Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What? There is an element in truth in what I'm saying.

Oxbridge people command my respect.
    So if an Oxbridge person tells you the same thing everyone else has been telling you, will you listen to them?

ReputationRep:

For the past couple of years, I will admit, I did have a slideshow of Oxbridge pictures as my desktop background.

What's wrong with that?
    Loooooool don't banter me you're not serious

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by SamJHill)
    Hun, what isn't wrong about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, why ever not?

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy with a E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamJHill)
    Hun, what isn't wrong about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, now you're sounding anti Oxbridge... Not everyone there is a geek

ReputationRep:
    This.

Is it a coincidence that virtually every Oxbridge person was extremely intelligent and heavenly and just ever so amazing?

That's not distortion, that's my experience. I've spoken with real Oxbridge people.
    I just got quoted by imsoacademic.

Life affirmed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arva)
    You know, you're quite judgemental.
    Not judgemental, just don't tolerate stuck up people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    But anyways you've got 100 in M1 and C3
    Indeed so I can now join the 100 UMS club Although I wasn't too fussed if I didn't get 100 UMS if I got the 2 A*'s so I guess this is an alternative

ReputationRep:
    Have OCR released Grade Boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please will people shut up about oxbridge. It's nearly as bad as the trollers on the other thread...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Maybe, but they're not good enough compared to a Cambridge engineer. They didn't get into Cambridge, did they? They didn't do well in interview.
    Why are Oxbridge engineers automatically better than engineers who graduate from other Russell group universities? The standard of any profession is not firmly set by the name of the university you attend but the effort you put in during the degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Arva)
    I just got quoted by imsoacademic.

Life affirmed.
    You're going to Oxbridge, aren't you?

Well, that's just :heart:

ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaries are still going to be too high for me.

It may seem like I am, but, trust me, after years on being on this site, having an adoration of a university does not get you into that particular university. Passion about your subject does. That I'm not worried about.

I'm worried about whether I'm actually intelligent enough.

There's a reason why some people get rejected from Oxbridge - they're not good enough.
    Well to quote a cambridge master who spoke to me last year at the summer school I went to when i had the same concern tat I wouldn't be intelligent enough:

"very few of the students I have met here at Cambridge could I describe as a 'genius'. The people here largely got in their situation through hard work and interest in their subject."

Personally, i think you should take a bit of time away from thinking about universities. I don't tink anyone on here will be able to persuade you to change your views towards universities and you seem to be feeling quite negative about yourself because of all this thinking about Oxbridge. i can sort of empathise- I sort of saw Oxbridge as these magical, out of reach places but after visiting and going through the UCAS cycle and seeing people I know get in, I recognise now the people who get in are not demi-gods but just people. I do think you are going to have to compromise your views on some institutions like Imperial though, because else you won't be able to handle the idea of going anywhere but Oxbridge- should you not get a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Or they didn't apply to Oxbridge because Nuclear Engineering isn't offered straight there, and they were so passionate about it, they had to go there to do it.

They could have gone to Cambridge bur chose not to.

I think you have to realise, people will be intelligent and passionate on certain courses above a certain rank of uni. Russel Group. Not just Oxbridge. Academic courses + RG = Intelligent and Passionate people imo

I don't disagree with that, but isn't the actual course the main factor?
    Oh of course, but if you don't disagree with that then you are contradicting your blanket statement that "nobody goes to university to fit in". No matter how minor, it often plays a part.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for this whole results day debarcle to be over with. I really do not like people and apparently trolling gets taken seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you guys reckon that the boundaries won't be out in less than an hour?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, can I talk to you on Thursday please?

The thing is, the difference between you and me is that you're far, far, far more intelligent than me.

With my experience of being around/talking with etc with Oxbridgers, they're just out of this world, so I can extrapolate that to other Oxbridgers that I haven't met, such as yourself.

I don't know. I just want his hell to be over with, not just results day, but just the application process in its entirety.

I can't do this. I really don't think I cannot. Oxbridgers are far smarter than me. I'd be lucky to get AAAC tbh.

I don't know. I'm stuck. I just don't know what to think anymore. I'm completely lost.
    Of course I'll help in any way I can.

Not necessarily. I've never met you but I don't trust someone's own judgement of how intelligent they are.

The only 'out of this world' person I know got rejected. There's some food for thought. Trust me, a lot of people are just hot air. They speak eloquently as if they know everything in the world and often they're just bull****ting but you can't tell because their fancy words have fogged up any meaning. Yes some are amazingly smart, but I don't see what makes them distinct from you. I wouldn't consider myself amazingly smart.

Don't lose faith, you're probably underestimating your own abilities. Thursday shall reveal all - but as with the maths boundaries, I tend to be right (I got the A* boundary on C4 correct to the exact mark, just saying )

Try and calm down and just take it as it comes. We'll discuss your results on/after Thursday, if you're not too busy celebrating, that is

ReputationRep:
    You're going to Oxbridge, aren't you?

Well, that's just :heart:
    Oxbridge isn't a place :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheriB)
    Just been on there, only goes up to 2010. If you have any can you upload or send me a link or something
    http://www.mediafire.com/folder/auq70mz9s96az/June_2013 . Your kiddin right? These things have been out for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arva)
    Oh of course, but if you don't disagree with that then you are contradicting your blanket statement that "nobody goes to university to fit in". No matter how minor, it often plays a part.
    I should have clarified that:
    "Nobody solely goes to university to fit in"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.