Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Isn't that just people on twitter in general.
    True.

Tbh Liverpool fans are the most touchy. You say one thing and many of them flood your mentions. The Arsenal fans always just go on about 'Wenger out'
    really not a true representation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)
    Arsenal fans are a strange bunch on twitter. Proper trying to argue that Walcott is better or just as good as Bale.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bale - 22 goals and 4 assists
    Walcott - 21 goals and 15 assists

One labelled world class, the other awful. Stats put things in perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)

Are you trying to suggest that Walcott is better than Bale?

ReputationRep:

its the imprtance of the goals though..

A number of walcots came in high-scoring games, and against weaker oposition..

Whereas I dont think I could count the number of times when bale scored a late goal, the deciding goal in a match, etc.

Im actually a big walcott fan, and think hes a great player, and part of the team..

But hes not a star like bale..

ReputationRep:

Are you trying to make an excuse for Walcott to be anywhere near as good as Bale or something???

stats are great but they would justify players like Leon Britton being one of the best passers in world football..

ReputationRep:

Football is not a a science, much more to it than stats. I would rather have Bale in my team than Walcott by a country mile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Aside from what has already been said, why are you seemingly comparing Bale in the EPL to Walcott in all competitions?

Bale - 26 goals and 15 assists for Tottenham in 44 games (21 goals and 9 assists in 33 EPL appearances)
    Walcott - 21 goals and 16 assists for Arsenal in 43 games (14 goals and 12 assists in 32 EPL appearances)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Are you trying to suggest that Walcott is better than Bale?
    No, just that in statistical terms Walcott was just as good as Bale last season but the latter received more plaudits.

ReputationRep:

Whereas Walcott got half of his goals in two games. Lol...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, just that in statistical terms Walcott was just as good as Bale last season but the latter received more plaudits.
    The latter received more plaudits because the latter deserved more plaudits. If you're not trying to argue that Walcott is as good or better than Bale then I don't see your point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Are you trying to make an excuse for Walcott to be anywhere near as good as Bale or something???

stats are great but they would justify players like Leon Britton being one of the best passers in world football..
    Definitely not, just that I feel Bale is overrated. He is a fantastic player who can decide a game but is he worth more than Ronaldo who scored 65 PL goals in his last three seasons alongside leading United to a host of trophies? Bale has had one outstanding season, which by the way didn't result in silverware for Spurs, I find the hype over him unbearable.

ReputationRep:
    Stats :facepalm2:

jw will be proud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    Aside from what has already been said, why are you seemingly comparing Bale in the EPL to Walcott in all competitions?

Bale - 26 goals and 15 assists for Tottenham in 44 games (21 goals and 9 assists in 33 EPL appearances)
    Walcott - 21 goals and 16 assists for Arsenal in 43 games (14 goals and 12 assists in 32 EPL appearances)
    :laugh:

Gotta love how stats can be easily manipulated :adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    its the imprtance of the goals though..

A number of walcots came in high-scoring games, and against weaker oposition..

Whereas I dont think I could count the number of times when bale scored a late goal, the deciding goal in a match, etc.

Im actually a big walcott fan, and think hes a great player, and part of the team..

But hes not a star like bale..
    This isn't actually true, I posted on this around 2/3's of the way through last season and a huge majority of his goals were game changing (i.e. turning the score from a loss to draw or draw to win) and against some strong teams too. Can't be arsed to dig it up though, but it does seem to be a common misconception.

ReputationRep:

Walcott ain't even better than sturridge let alone bale if we wanted to use stats.
    Walcott scored a lot in high scoring games and I told you about his so called 'important goals' near the end of the season. It's clear what bale gives to tottenham, tottenham are clearly a team that struggles for goals and has only two sources for it's goals the whole season, maybe 3 if you wanna count vertonghen 4 goals from set pieces or dempsey's 7 tap ins :rofl:

Walcott ain't awful, but he isn't that good of a player to be mentioned in the same breath as bale. Arsenal did struggle for goals, but at the very least you had four forwards who are able to score goals at a good rate. Tottenham had bale and defoe, one is a poacher who relies on service while the other creates his own chances and that for others and was essentially the only consistent attacking outlet of the team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    This isn't actually true, I posted on this around 2/3's of the way through last season and a huge majority of his goals were game changing (i.e. turning the score from a loss to draw or draw to win) and against some strong teams too. Can't be arsed to dig it up though, but it does seem to be a common misconception.
    It's true, but what you say is true as well, he did score a lot of gamechanging goals, e.g. 4-0 down to reading walcott gets a goal. or him scoring against wigan. But at the end of the match you'd win by a fairly commanding scoreline. Only examples I can think of where that wasn't the case was the QPR and the united match.

ReputationRep:
    I still think its a myth that defoe is a natural born finisher, he missed so many chances in the second half of last season it was unreal hes a little like rooney in the sense that he goes through really good spells and really bad ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    :laugh:

Gotta love how stats can be easily manipulated :adore:
    I remember reading a post on another site about how Mata had achieved more assists than the entire United midfield...not only had the guy's maths been off but he'd also compared Mata in all competitions to United midfielders in just the EPL... People seem to love doing that for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)

Bale did not get 9 assists in the league. He got 4. Don't use the premier league site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I still think its a myth that defoe is a natural born finisher, he missed so many chances in the second half of last season it was unreal hes a little like rooney in the sense that he goes through really good spells and really bad ones
    This. He's got no finese to his finishing. It's all about power. Hit and miss. Nothing natural about his finishing.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.