The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mechie)
Yep, Labour in fact agreed with the SNP that it should be 16. No cynical ploys here!
There is a ploy. It would benefit both Labour and the SNP in a General Election.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If Scotland does become independent then i think the UK should ban the sale of IrnBru completely! To show the Scots we are really mad and don't want their drinks around here anymore :P
Mechie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
There is a ploy. It would benefit both Labour and the SNP in a General Election.
Ok Mr paranoid.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mechie)
Ok Mr paranoid.
Please. I am far from paranoid. If you look past your bigotry then you will see the irrefutable truth of the NO campaign.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've got a lot of respect for Gordon Brown after hearing his recent impassioned speech. For all his flaws he is undoubtedly a true statesmen and an intellectual of the highest calibre.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
I've got a lot of respect for Gordon Brown after hearing his recent impassioned speech. For all his flaws he is undoubtedly a true statesmen and an intellectual of the highest calibre.
It is the best thing Brown has done in 10 years.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is the best thing Brown has done in 10 years.
Bailing out the banks?
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bailing out the banks?
The Banks were the cause of the recession i have no pity for them, they should have crumbled so they would learn they cannot control the country.

He sold Gold at a low point and countless other poor points. Although i suppose most of the points are bad depending on which side of the spectrum you sit on.
Cryptographic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Same-ish, I believe that he is good in a criss, did a major favour for the world in '08, and rarely for a politician, he seems to be a good person.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Banks were the cause of the recession i have no pity for them, they should have crumbled so they would learn they cannot control the country.
There's a lot of angles you could take on this issue - but the general consensus is that Brown's actions did save the country (and possibly the rest of the West) from an even greater calamity.

I (obviously) have no pity for the Banks either.

He sold Gold at a low point and countless other poor points. Although i suppose most of the points are bad depending on which side of the spectrum you sit on.
I didn't say he was perfect - but his failures don't take away from his achievements - he was massively underrated.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
Same-ish, I believe that he is good in a criss, did a major favour for the world in '08, and rarely for a politician, he seems to be a good person.
When you hear him speak, or read some of his work you really get the sense that he cares about people. Its unfortunate that he never became the man so many Labourites wanted him to be.

I think Blair was there to pave the way for an individual who actually believed what they were saying.
The rest is history.

And although pretty much everything is debatable here in the MHoC I think many would agree he's a giant compared to Miliband.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ipsos Mori penultimate poll went 47-49N.

Survation and Youguv I'm still waiting on before the final Ipsos poll.

While I never liked Brown I think he's evidence of perception (and a bad sign for Miliband). When Brown was PM he was perceived as being a stressed bully who was out of his depth with a problem he created. Now that he's gone and we've kind of forgotten that perception I think his good points have been able to come through in terms of being able to give an intelligent answer and having presence even if not traditional charisma.

In terms of the recession he was absolutely right to bail the banks although they should have been asset stripped and wound down other than one which would take all the savings guaranteed from the other banks. To suggest that RBS should have been allowed to fail overnight given its size is idiotic given the damage to the real economy such a collapse in the money supply would cause.

Far too much Blair hate from the young. He genuinely believed Britain had a humanitarian role in the world and that tyranny should not prevail. People berate him for Iraq but forget Kosovo and Sierra Lionne. Domestically he was one of the most adaptable politicians we ever had, he gave the country the soft Tory in policy government that it wanted.

I for one think that the caliber of leaders we had between 79-07 was the best since Disraeli-Gladstone.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Ipsos Mori penultimate poll went 47-49N.

Survation and Youguv I'm still waiting on before the final Ipsos poll.

While I never liked Brown I think he's evidence of perception (and a bad sign for Miliband). When Brown was PM he was perceived as being a stressed bully who was out of his depth with a problem he created. Now that he's gone and we've kind of forgotten that perception I think his good points have been able to come through in terms of being able to give an intelligent answer and having presence even if not traditional charisma.

In terms of the recession he was absolutely right to bail the banks although they should have been asset stripped and wound down other than one which would take all the savings guaranteed from the other banks. To suggest that RBS should have been allowed to fail overnight given its size is idiotic given the damage to the real economy such a collapse in the money supply would cause.

Far too much Blair hate from the young. He genuinely believed Britain had a humanitarian role in the world and that tyranny should not prevail. People berate him for Iraq but forget Kosovo and Sierra Lionne. Domestically he was one of the most adaptable politicians we ever had, he gave the country the soft Tory in policy government that it wanted.

I for one think that the caliber of leaders we had between 79-07 was the best since Disraeli-Gladstone.
I really liked the clip of his speech from his speech which I saw. Full of emotion and passion, something which I think has been missing from Cameron's, Miliband's and Clegg's speeches.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by toronto353)
I really liked the clip of his speech from his speech which I saw. Full of emotion and passion, something which I think has been missing from Cameron's, Miliband's and Clegg's speeches.
I would say Cameron was passionate and emotional about it, his head is on the line after all. I can't recall seeing or hearing about Clegg's speeches.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would say Cameron was passionate and emotional about it, his head is on the line after all. I can't recall seeing or hearing about Clegg's speeches.
I disagree. Brown's speech feels sincere and I don't get that personal warmth from Cameron as much in his speech.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I disagree. Brown's speech feels sincere and I don't get that personal warmth from Cameron as much in his speech.
This is the first speech by Brown that ever showed such compassion or passion for anything frankly.

I suppose we will all interpret their speeches in different ways.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think Cameron is not a naturally emotional person or at least has been brought up to hide it given his background. That's not the worst thing though since I think he handles stress quite well and seems professional.

Clegg gives the impression of somebody who's got the job he wanted but really does not enjoy it. Though I think he's by far the most genuine of the three In terms of actually caring.

When I think of Miliband I can only think of the deer in the headlights. When I imagine rolling into Estonia I also imagine Miliband defecating himself.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Imagine Russia it should read.. Dam autocorrect.

Can't edit on mobile either.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
When I think of Miliband I can only think of the deer in the headlights. When I imagine rolling into Estonia I also imagine Miliband defecating himself.
You know Miliband is bad when he is being over-shadowed by Brown.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Here we go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads