Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I think I would've exploded in rage if I had watched the game. Man Utd will now either turn their luck into confidence and easily finish 3rd or their luck will run out and the results will turn sour again. No doubt they will splash another 100mil in Jan..
    I'd be surprised if we spent half of that tbh, top players don't move in January. We might be able to try for Strootman if City can beat Roma tomorrow night, but anyone who seriously expects us to try and sign Reus, Varane, Godin etc is quite simply deluded. Every player under the sun has been linked with United, Arsenal or Liverpool but i'll be surprised if any of those teams sign more than one player.

Anyway, if we play as badly as we did last night you can definitely beat us. Have you seen the back 4 we're likely to play? Wouldn't be confident fielding that against AFC Liverpool. On the plus side, we're likely to see the return of Rafael & Di Maria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I think I would've exploded in rage if I had watched the game. Man Utd will now either turn their luck into confidence and easily finish 3rd or their luck will run out and the results will turn sour again. No doubt they will splash another 100mil in Jan..

Ugh not looking forward to tonight at all. Even if we play well, you know we'll either make a mistake or get sucker punched at the death. At least under Benitez you knew you would always get a controlled and professional performance. We wouldn't often be soft and we could graft results out.

Rodgers seems to be the opposite and while you can get some brilliant football to watch, sometimes you just need to grind a result out.

It will be all about the first goal. If we can get one or two then we can control the game and kill it off. If they score first, we'll continue to pour forward and continue to get picked off.
    I do hope you guys and city get through... would be the first time since the 2010 season that all 4 english sides made the knocout round..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    Now listen here Lukey boy. Any Manchester United fans saying they are guaranteed top four are idiots. You're not guaranteed anything in this life. The way the club are playing it could all crumble, especially if your lot turn up on Sunday.

But what I think they are saying is that it should be expected that the club finish in the top four, which is reasonable, given the size and stature of the club.

Hang on a minute. What resources are those? How much did you spend in Summer?
    Tbh no united fan here has really said they are guaranteed top 4.
    I do think you are guaranteed it now though. You've approached this run of games well enough and got a consistency in your results despite playing poorly. You have another gear to find and while that's taking time to find you are getting points. In reality you could still make 2nd but I doubt that.

Yeah Liverpool cocked up in their transfers with buying potential, simply if they got 1 or 2 world class players and put them on 140k contracts they'd be in a better position.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jam277)
    I do think you are guaranteed it now though. You've approached this run of games well enough and got a consistency in your results despite playing poorly. You have another gear to find and while that's taking time to find you are getting points. In reality you could still make 2nd but I doubt that.

Yeah Liverpool cocked up in their transfers with buying potential, simply if they got 1 or 2 world class players and put them on 140k contracts they'd be in a better position.
    We're guaranteed it.

If we're getting results with at least 8 players injured per game then it bodes well for the rest of the season. Look at our Jan/Feb fixtures too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    amen to that

but in all seriousness, lol at united fans essentially confirming top 4 finish for united this season.

we aren't even bloody half way and given the quality of their performances, they're far from guaranteed top 4.
    take nothing away from them though, they took their chances and soton showed us all why they won't stay up top for too much longer.
    Why do Liverpool fans make this up in their heads about everything MU related? We don't think we have top 4 guaranteed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who thinks that they aren't 95% certain for top 4 is wrong. Arsenal, Soton and probably West Ham are all also ahead of us in the queue as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    I do hope you guys and city get through... would be the first time since the 2010 season that all 4 english sides made the knocout round..
    God, the Premier League sucks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    We're guaranteed it.

If we're getting results with at least 8 players injured per game then it bodes well for the rest of the season. Look at our Jan/Feb fixtures too.
    Who is to say your injuries won't stop though? Its like one player comes back and another replaces him on the operating table...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    We might be able to try for Strootman if City can beat Roma tomorrow night

Anyway, if we play as badly as we did last night you can definitely beat us.
    An advantage of City beating AS Roma I suppose. But I'd expect bigger players to arrive in Summer.

Yeah, Liverpool fans are too negative. I see Liverpool as favourites for this weekend. They thrashed us last season.

I'm not sure who did or didn't say it really, I was just responded to Lukeyboy.

Somebody on the BBC feed yesterday said if we are getting these results now with so many injuries and other problems how good will we be when players start coming back and hitting form, which is a nice thought. But honestly Jam last season took all my confidence away, wouldn't be surprised if we lost this Sunday.

I can't see us finishing above Manchester City. Would be good if we got something from the home fixture against them though.

(Original post by sr90)
    We're guaranteed it.

SR man, you're a bad boy living dangerously on the edge. Don't do that. We are not guaranteed. Surely Arsenal and Liverpool will improve. But I fully, fully expect to finish above Everton & Spurs this season.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by samir12)
    Who is to say your injuries won't stop though? Its like one player comes back and another replaces him on the operating table...
    Pretty much :lol:

I'm fully expecting Evans to be subbed off after 30 minutes when he either gets injured, or Sterling makes a fool out of him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I'd be surprised if we spent half of that tbh, top players don't move in January. We might be able to try for Strootman if City can beat Roma tomorrow night, but anyone who seriously expects us to try and sign Reus, Varane, Godin etc is quite simply deluded. Every player under the sun has been linked with United, Arsenal or Liverpool but i'll be surprised if any of those teams sign more than one player.

Anyway, if we play as badly as we did last night you can definitely beat us. Have you seen the back 4 we're likely to play? Wouldn't be confident fielding that against AFC Liverpool. On the plus side, we're likely to see the return of Rafael & Di Maria.
    I can see you trying to buy one or two players for top dollar. That can quickly take you past 50mil.

Well we can't hit a barn door at the moment so who knows. Lambert might do alright against a young defence though.

(Original post by fallen_acorns)
    It's amazing after how well the English clubs did between 2005-2009.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Tonight will be a disappointment I think. Hopefully the atmosphere is great and we give it a good go, though.

ReputationRep:
    someone actually needs to make a liverpool metldown thread if u lot lose tonight :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    God, the Premier League sucks...
    Tbf though it rarely happens in the other leagues. Last season was the only time all the 4 German teams got out the group but before then you had Dortmund getting bottom of the group, Gladbach not getting into the CL proper and before that they only had 3 spots due to poor performances in the CL. Also only spain in 12/13 has had 4 teams go out the groups too in the past 4/5 years.

We look at Italy and they've had Juve drop out of the CL last year, Udinese not get into CL proper the 2 seasons prior to that.

I'd attribute it to football being more competitive at the top than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Tonight will be a disappointment I think. Hopefully the atmosphere is great and we give it a good go, though.
    Wonder what Basel's wage bill is.

ReputationRep:
    Tbf though it rarely happens in the other leagues. Last season was the only time all the 4 German teams got out the group but before then you had Dortmund getting bottom of the group, Gladbach not getting into the CL proper and before that they only had 3 spots due to poor performances in the CL. Also only spain in 12/13 has had 4 teams go out the groups too in the past 4/5 years.

We look at Italy and they've had Juve drop out of the CL last year, Udinese not get into CL proper the 2 seasons prior to that.

I'd attribute it to football being more competitive at the top than anything else.
    Yeah, that's very true, perhaps I was exaggerating to some extent. However, the Premier League is ranked higher than the Bundesliga and Serie A so you would expect them to be better. The Spanish and Germans don't often get all four teams out of the groups or even into the competition proper, but there are often at least two of them who have a fairly deep run and the likes of Real, Barca, Bayern always win their group at a canter. Even top seed Premier League teams struggle to top their groups.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's very true, perhaps I was exaggerating to some extent. However, the Premier League is ranked higher than the Bundesliga and Serie A so you would expect them to be better. The Spanish and Germans don't often get all four teams out of the groups or even into the competition proper, but there are often at least two of them who have a fairly deep run and the likes of Real, Barca, Bayern always win their group at a canter. Even top seed Premier League teams struggle to top their groups.
    Na I disagree on that score. Only Arsenal you'd say struggle to top their groups. Bar for 2012/13 season Chelsea have almost always topped their group, Manchester United almost invariably top their group in the competition as well and you even have Spurs who aren't top seeded topping a group that had the previous season's champions in it. City aren't top seeded therefore you can excuse them when their groups have consisted of Bayern 3 times with very strong teams with them(Roma and Napoli) and the other time Dortmund+Real.

It's only when you get past knockout stages where you'd say that the English teams do poor and even then Chelsea and United always tend to do well enough in the competition past knockouts and the one time City got past their group they had Barcelona which is essentially a write off.

ReputationRep:
    Na I disagree on that score. Only Arsenal you'd say struggle to top their groups. Bar for 2012/13 season Chelsea have almost always topped their group, Manchester United almost invariably top their group in the competition as well and you even have Spurs who aren't top seeded topping a group that had the previous season's champions in it. City aren't top seeded therefore you can excuse them when their groups have consisted of Bayern 3 times with very strong teams with them(Roma and Napoli) and the other time Dortmund+Real.

It's only when you get past knockout stages where you'd say that the English teams do poor and even then Chelsea and United always tend to do well enough in the competition past knockouts and the one time City got past their group they had Barcelona which is essentially a write off.
    I don't think there can be any doubt that La Liga is superior when you look at last year as an example. 3 teams in Spain, all better than the English teams. Some English teams may often top the group, but it is very rare that they do so as easily as Bayern or Real or w/e. Man City have been 3rd seeds for a while but this season they were 2nd seeds and still look like they might not qualify. Ok, they got very unlucky by getting Roma as a 4th seed when they could of had a number of far worse teams but their performances against CSKA were embarrassingly poor.

English teams lack the technical ability and composure in passing that the top teams have that is required to win a Champions league nowadays despite easily having the money to acquire those things.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there can be any doubt that La Liga is superior when you look at last year as an example. 3 teams in Spain, all better than the English teams. Some English teams may often top the group, but it is very rare that they do so as easily as Bayern or Real or w/e. Man City have been 3rd seeds for a while but this season they were 2nd seeds and still look like they might not qualify. Ok, they got very unlucky by getting Roma as a 4th seed when they could of had a number of far worse teams but their performances against CSKA were embarrassingly poor.

English teams lack the technical ability and composure in passing that the top teams have that is required to win a Champions league nowadays despite easily having the money to acquire those things.
    I'm not excusing City's performances but putting it into context.
    I'd disagree that Barcelona were better than Chelsea last season but I do agree with the crux of your point. Chelsea's europe record is only better by Real Bayern and Barca past 5 years e.g.

Disagree about the composure point either that's just overstated especially when Atlético Madrid got to the final. Chelsea e.g. have Fabregas, Hazard, Matic, Oscar all capable of doing this are you telling me Arda Turan, Gabi, Tiago(who we went for as a backup for Fabregas) Griezmann and Koke are better technically than Chelsea's or City's options. Manchester United are a work in progress but they challenged Bayern and Bayern struggled to beat United over two legs with a pitiful squad. City have technical ability and are close technically to the big 3 their only problem is their lack of work rate which is why they're playing workhorses like Milner every game but you wouldn't say Silva, Nasri, Toure, Fernandinho, Aguero lack technical ability and composure.

City's problem is work rate. Chelsea don't have a top quality RW and bench options lack technical ability. Arsenal just lack a DM, a striker and need a new manager. Liverpool is a weird case that I don't want to go into and United have plenty of quality and technical ability in their side but lack the balance to their game which is why LVG is playing defensive tactics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not excusing City's performances but putting it into context.
    I'd disagree that Barcelona were better than Chelsea last season but I do agree with the crux of your point. Chelsea's europe record is only better by Real Bayern and Barca past 5 years e.g.

Disagree about the composure point either that's just overstated especially when Atlético Madrid got to the final. Chelsea e.g. have Fabregas, Hazard, Matic, Oscar all capable of doing this are you telling me Arda Turan, Gabi, Tiago(who we went for as a backup for Fabregas) Griezmann and Koke are better technically than Chelsea's or City's options. Manchester United are a work in progress but they challenged Bayern and Bayern struggled to beat United over two legs with a pitiful squad. City have technical ability and are close technically to the big 3 their only problem is their lack of work rate which is why they're playing workhorses like Milner every game but you wouldn't say Silva, Nasri, Toure, Fernandinho, Aguero lack technical ability and composure.

City's problem is work rate. Chelsea don't have a top quality RW and bench options lack technical ability. Arsenal just lack a DM, a striker and need a new manager. Liverpool is a weird case that I don't want to go into and United have plenty of quality and technical ability in their side but lack the balance to their game which is why LVG is playing defensive tactics.
    Atleti are a very interesting team. Can't really count Griezzmann as he wasn't there last year, but they are a mix of insane work effort and some brilliant young/technical players. Koke is very likely going to be a worldie. His vision and passing is insane, and he's probably as able potentially as Matic is. Very surprised they managed to keep him. Oliver is on loan atm I think, but another big prospect. Oblak isn't half bad either. Then they have some real steel, and some mercurial players like Turan. Interesting team, excellent manager.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.