Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by samba)
    Assuming the Depay (why don't they just confirm it already? worst kept secret eu) and Hummels deals are pretty much done, we'll have all summer to shift some crap and focus on a CM and a striker primarily. I don't think we need a 1st team starter for MC, but more a rotational starter for when the game doesn't suit the hairy belgians abilities. Unless you're talking about replacing herrera/carrick? (who we'll need a replacement for anyway soon. [seriously, signing lahm would solve about 4 problems in the squad lol]
    Hummels Clyne and Depay are as good as done imo. Just need a midfielder and that would be a fantastic window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Lahm would sort everything out haha.

Na I don't rate Fellaini, if you're talking about facing the best midfields in the world and starting Fellaini, who's game doesn't suit the rest of the team go on ahead but his lack of any incisive passing means that you're going to just end up with constant turnovers in possession.

Herrera we'll see how he does, unsure of his ability right now as a long term option since he hasn't played enough but he's been good so far. Carrick is Carrick. Get a solid performance each time. Need a box to box player like Naingolan/Strootman/Vidal etc who is good at playing the ball. Highly doubt Fellaini is really in the main plans of Van Gaals philosophy and is just part of Van Gaal's pragmatism that he finally found.
    Herrera is a very strange phenomenon at the moment; I'm tempted to say it's just form, but he [and Mata] seem extraordinarily happy at the moment in Manchester and under LVG, which is pretty surprising considering how he's treated them.

Herrera scored 12 goals in 5 years before this season. He's now scored 7 in 27 games. And he's literally scoring with his eyes closed for a couple of seconds before he shoots (no joke) - It's either a form thing, or LVG/Mata are working dark magic on him, I really have no idea. Tempted to say it's just form... But if it's not, it would be amazing for us. He's scored 7 in 1239 minutes (1/177), compared to say Costa who has 20 in 2468 (1/123.4) and Hazard (1/195) - He's also contributing and assisting. That sort of form just can't continue really.... Well, I hope it can.

(Original post by sr90)
    Hummels Clyne and Depay are as good as done imo. Just need a midfielder and that would be a fantastic window.
    If that's all done already, I'd quite like a ST too really. Prefer to lose RVP at this point, and we dont want a liverpool/sturridge situation.

ReputationRep:
    It's saying luke shaw has played at DL. Therefore that's a back 5 if there are 3 defenders behind him.

You don't have to be a wingback to play in a back 5 you can be playing at LB. Also the defensive phase most likely will be the same in a back 3 or back 5. It's just the positions of the fullbacks afterwards. You push your fullbacks high up the pitch(see e.g. Ashley Young vs Spurs).

Same story goes with Valencia.
    Those DL appearances are in the games we've played with a back 4. Eg http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/829576/LiveOld/
    http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/829629/LiveOld/

I'm just saying whoscored is wrongly positioning players. When we play a back 4 it gets it right, putting the full backs as DL and DR. But when we play a wingback formation it either puts them as DL/DR (when it's players who normally play there ie Rafael and Shaw) or ML/MR when it's players who are normally played in more attacking positions (Young and Valencia). So even though they're playing the same position in the team in reality (WB), it gets it slightly wrong based on where they normally play/used to play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Really, where's that coming from? This has all happened suddenly it seems

ReputationRep:
    Just realised both of our right backs gave away penalties on saturday

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lahm would sort everything out haha.

Na I don't rate Fellaini, if you're talking about facing the best midfields in the world and starting Fellaini, who's game doesn't suit the rest of the team go on ahead but his lack of any incisive passing means that you're going to just end up with constant turnovers in possession.

Herrera we'll see how he does, unsure of his ability right now as a long term option since he hasn't played enough but he's been good so far. Carrick is Carrick. Get a solid performance each time. Need a box to box player like Naingolan/Strootman/Vidal etc who is good at playing the ball. Highly doubt Fellaini is really in the main plans of Van Gaals philosophy and is just part of Van Gaal's pragmatism that he finally found.
    Herrera is a very strange phenomenon at the moment; I'm tempted to say it's just form, but he [and Mata] seem extraordinarily happy at the moment in Manchester and under LVG, which is pretty surprising considering how he's treated them.

Herrera scored 12 goals in 5 years before this season. He's now scored 7 in 27 games. And he's literally scoring with his eyes closed for a couple of seconds before he shoots (no joke) - It's either a form thing, or LVG/Mata are working dark magic on him, I really have no idea. Tempted to say it's just form... But if it's not, it would be amazing for us. He's scored 7 in 1239 minutes (1/177), compared to say Costa who has 20 in 2468 (1/123.4) and Hazard (1/195) - He's also contributing and assisting. That sort of form just can't continue really.... Well, I hope it can.

(Original post by sr90)
    If that's all done already, I'd quite like a ST too really. Prefer to lose RVP at this point, and we dont want a liverpool/sturridge situation.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by difeo)
    Really, where's that coming from? This has all happened suddenly it seems
    Nah it's not sudden, we've been linked to all three for ages. It's exactly like Shaw & Herrera last year.

PSV's manager has stated that he expects Depay to leave, Clyne isn't signing a new deal, now Hummels is going public. There's too much being said. I'm not 100% convinced on Hummels but he's definitely worth a punt for £30m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Those DL appearances are in the games we've played with a back 4. Eg http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/829...chester-United http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/829...United-Chelsea look at the lineups.

I'm just saying whoscored is wrongly positioning players. When we play a back 4 it gets it right, putting the full backs as DL and DR. But when we play a wingback formation it either puts them as DL/DR (when it's players who normally play there ie Rafael and Shaw) or ML/MR when it's players who are normally played in more attacking positions (Young and Valencia). So even though they're playing the same position in the team in reality (WB), it gets it slightly wrong based on where they normally play/used to play.
    Why would it wrongly position those players when the other leagues(e.g. at Bayern) it gets it right? Doesn't make much sense. Tried looking at average positions but that's a bit too confusing. I'm also unsure on whether it utilises in game changes?

e.g. this is the average position of the team when they played against Swansea, where you supposedly played the 3-5-2 http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/829517/MatchReport. Since the team averagely attacked on the right side(where Lingard) played, Lingard got an RM position, Young got a position at LM and jones, Blackett and Smalling got CB positions. When you look at it properly though, Jones and Young are looking like they're playing at fullback in terms of their average position. It's tough to really judge. Basically I'm just saying that defensively back 3's will usually be a back 5, while offensively there will be a difference depending on the role of the fullbacks/defensive wingers.

That's why some will say that you played with a back 3 while others would say you played with a back 5.

ReputationRep:
    Shut didn't realise thus was the united thread...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    You should know that Man Utd is the centre of the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    You should know that Man Utd is the centre of the world
    Ok mate 4th place team in pl is normally the centre of the world

Reckon you'll get Bale in the summer, Madrid fans are some of the worst in football right now. Arsenal should put in a cheeky bid just for the bants.

Bring in Lloris too thus summer to put Spurs back in their back

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that happens from time to time. I'm usually the culprit.

I apologise.

ReputationRep:
    Ok mate 4th place team in pl is normally the centre of the world

Reckon you'll get Bale in the summer, Madrid fans are some of the worst in football right now. Arsenal should put in a cheeky bid just for the bants.

Bring in Lloris too thus summer to put Spurs back in their back
    Kinda ironic that comment. When's the last time you guys DIDN'T finish fourth :p:

I don't think we'll get Bale tbh, not unless Di Maria leaves or perez has to sacrifice him to the marca gods.

Don't think we'll lose DDG either tbh. Bet you're glad that you got sanchez instead of liverpool

ReputationRep:

I apologise.
    It's alright I've done it once or twice on the United thread before we played them

ReputationRep:

I apologise.
    Can you give your input on my herrera comments first pls, ty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Kinda ironic that comment. When's the last time you guys DIDN'T finish fourth :p:

I don't think we'll get Bale tbh, not unless Di Maria leaves or perez has to sacrifice him to the marca gods.

Don't think we'll lose DDG either tbh. Bet you're glad that you got sanchez instead of liverpool
    That was the point mate

I surprised Bale puts up with the **** Madrid fans give him, I get the feeling he only enjoys playing for Wales ATM.

I can see him going, Real can put in a stupid bid like £50mil and lure him there, it'll happen in the next few years.

And yeah definitely, I've not always been his biggest supporter on here, but all our big players showed up on Saturday and I think a lot of us Arsenal fans will feel that top 3 is a probability for the foreseeable future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)

Interesting. Yeah he's having a good season statistically can't really deny that.

Also turns out that all of his goals have come from when he played in Central Midfield in the league. So clearly his best position is as a CM in a midfield three. I dunno, I was advocating his signing last summer(not this one) under Moyes(along with a strong box to box midfielder), I think you have the creative element of your side in midfield sorted, now it's just the defensive side that needs to be sorted out. Again I don't believe Fellaini is the solution and he's extremely limited as a player. He gets props because he's physical but there's a good reason why he polarizes the fans opinion of him.

I felt that he'd have an important role to play though.

ReputationRep:
    United have been in form lately but their defence is still shocking in terms of individual defenders and there's way too much rebuilding that needs to be done there(they need a CB, RB, winger). For all the love in of Ashley Young, the guy has a whopping 1 goal and 1 assist in 19 appearances, so clearly he can't be starting. Januzaj isn't ready.
    ]
    Weak point here Jam.

Apart from Chelsea and Southampton we have the the 3rd best GA record (tied with city), which considering some of the make shift defensive changes we've had, is extremely good. Lets not forget during our worse injury period youngsters like Blackett came in and did a fair job.

I highlighted individual, because individuasl don't make up a good defence it takes a team effort, at the very least a strong partnership. Rojo and Smalling have a great partnership and they look reliable. Jones is ok but very injury prone, so I agree that a CB is needed, as is an RB as Raefel is injury prone too.

Once we had a stable defence established we've been very good at the back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    Weak point here Jam.

Apart from Chelsea and Southampton we have the the 3rd best GA record (tied with city), which considering some of the make shift defensive changes we've had, is extremely good. Lets not forget during our worse injury period youngsters like Blackett came in and did a fair job.
    You spend majority of the game for a good 4 months passing in between CBs so that helps you concede less chances on goal.

I highlighted individual, because individuasl don't make up a good defence it takes a team effort, at the very least a strong partnership. Rojo and Smalling have a great partnership and they look reliable. Jones is ok but very injury prone, so I agree that a CB is needed, as is an RB as Raefel is injury prone too.

Once we had a stable defence established we've been very good at the back
    Yeah Rojo and Smalling is a good partnership.

I don't rate Jones at all dives in too much and his distribution is shocking. Smalling isn't great but he knows when to get forward and his time at RB has helped a little bit in getting a few passes going.

Would argue no defence in the premier league has been good this season besides Soton anyway. You're the best of a bad bunch rather than a good defence.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.