Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    And this is why stats are pointless in a discussion about a footballer's ability.

Why watch football when we've got FM, Fifa and Squawka though, right?

ReputationRep:
    Lucio still sipping on the sauce I see. Still remember when he suggested Lambert was better than Giroud.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Luke's insecure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    And this is why stats are pointless in a discussion about a footballer's ability.

Why watch football when we've got FM, Fifa and Squawka though, right?
    Stats are probably overused these days, but you can hardly just dismiss the importance of goals per game for strikers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Stats are probably overused these days, but you can hardly just dismiss the importance of goals per game for strikers
    Maybe. But when it's 43 goals in 93 appearances vs 42 goals in 101 appearances, I think we can.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe. But when it's 43 goals in 93 appearances vs 42 goals in 101 appearances, I think we can.
    One with Ozil and Cazorla behind him, one with Delph and Cleverley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Yeah, and one playing as the focal point for every cross and through ball, the other laying off the ball to - oh wait, seems we're not talking about the stats any more.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and one playing as the focal point for every cross and through ball, the other laying off the ball to - oh wait, seems we're not talking about the stats any more.
    Course we are, just putting them in context, don't get mad

ReputationRep:
    If you can't recall Sanogo surely you can recall Akpom
    (or sign a free agent)

ReputationRep:
    Where could Arsenal improve tactically and from an individual sense looking at your games this season and your games last season with the squad you have available to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    He's right though, you've been rekt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Precisely.

Both are lone strikers but Giroud has the added creativity of the Arsenal midfield behind him.
    Of course that doesn't mean he'll be the centre of every opportunity Arsenal have, but nevertheless it still gives him an advantage to Benteke.

The mere fact that he has a better record is ridiculous in itself. Any Arsenal fan claiming Giroud is better is clearly clouded by bias.

I'm not claiming he'll be awesome at Liverpool, I'm just claiming he's a better player than Giroud in general and citing the relevant stats to prove it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    I'm not mad. The stats show a 0.05 difference in goals to games. The context (aka meaningful stuff like the team around them, the player's actual ability, the tactics used, etc) is clearly much more important to the discussion.

So you're agreeing with me really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    He's right though, you've been rekt
    Lol not at all

What I'm saying is that saying "stats are pointless" in relation to strikers and goal rate, is stupid. I'm not arguing that Benteke is better than Giroud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Precisely.

Both are lone strikers but Giroud has the added creativity of the Arsenal midfield behind him.
    Of course that doesn't mean he'll be the centre of every opportunity Arsenal have, but nevertheless it still gives him an advantage to Benteke.

The mere fact that he has a better record is ridiculous in itself. Any Arsenal fan claiming Giroud is better is clearly clouded by bias.

I'm not claiming he'll be awesome at Liverpool, I'm just claiming he's a better player than Giroud in general and citing the relevant stats to prove it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it really bias though? Most Arsenal fans constantly slate Giroud, and most would've been crying out for Benteke before he went to liverpool if they really thought he was better, but nobody was.

Do a poll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Lol not at all

What I'm saying is that saying "stats are pointless" in relation to strikers and goal rate, is stupid. I'm not arguing that Benteke is better than Giroud.
    True, but they can be meaningless if you don't take into account the system in which they're operating in!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Luke please stop this.

You have no idea the difference that systems does to a player.

Fellaini under Moyes at Everton, Fellaini under Moyes at United and Fellaini under LVG at United is probably the easiest example. Fellaini got his big move from Everton to United playing off the striker as a target man, he played deeper as a box to box midfielder under Moyes at United in a more intricate system that utilised less of his aerial ability and more of his ability to feet and he was terrible.

Under Van Gaal they play a system again that uses his aerial ability and he does very well for them, but he is still not at the level that he was at Everton.

Despite the fact that United had a much better team than that Everton side, his utilisation was what affected him.

Maybe in the future Benteke can show his worth to Liverpool and become better but at Arsenal he is not the player they need for their system, essentially they need an upgrade on Welbeck and it's clear enough to see. Regardless of who is better of the two(and I believe Giroud is slightly better if not the same at this moment in time)

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure Benteke doesn't go on goalless streaks for 10 games, while playing 90 minutes each match, every 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    True, but they can be meaningless if you don't take into account the system in which they're operating in!!!!!!!!
    Wouldn't say meaningless but certainly the various mitigating factors should be considered!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, Arsenal fans. How's Ramsey been playing recently? As he's been awful for Wales the last few games.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.