Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Pretty sure Benteke doesn't go on goalless streaks for 10 games, while playing 90 minutes each match, every 6 months.
    http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...istian-Benteke
    (Original post by the express)
    The Belgium striker has scored just two Premier League goals for Villa this season since returning from a long-term lay-off in October.
    Yeah of course he doesn't suffer goal droughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    I'm not mad. The stats show a 0.05 difference in goals to games. The context (aka meaningful stuff like the team around them, the player's actual ability, the tactics used, etc) is clearly much more important to the discussion.
    How do you intend to win and argument about the context? What are we using to evidence players around them, ability or tactics used? If I simply claim that you're wrong Arsenal are nothing more than a long ball team swing balls into Giroud who never provides service for team mates and does nothing other than shoot, where as Benkete actually keeps the ball impeccably and off far more limited service delivers roughly the same goals per game. Therefore is actually a far superior player. Where do we go from there other than round and round in circles?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure Benteke doesn't go on goalless streaks for 10 games, while playing 90 minutes each match, every 6 months.
    adding to what Jam said

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/chris...s/?saison=2014

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...istian-Benteke

Yeah of course he doesn't suffer goal droughts.
    Coming off the back of a long term injury, as opposed to Giroud at the end of the season, who was in stunning form and then probably became complacent and lethargic as he had no competition with Wele's injury.

Plus Benteke's goals helped Villa stay up, Giroud's goal's took Arsenal from 4th to 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    Coming off the back of a long term injury, as opposed to Giroud at the end of the season, who was in stunning form and then probably became complacent and lethargic as he had no competition with Wele's injury.
    Second part is irrelevant and doesn't require a response so I deleted it.

Also Giroud came back early from a long term injury last season so could have easily been him struggling with fatigue etc. from not healing entirely from the injury.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway can somebody actually answer my damn question instead of arguing over a bull**** point about two strikers who realistically should not be starting for Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Hello, Arsenal fans. How's Ramsey been playing recently? As he's been awful for Wales the last few games.
    He's been awful for us too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    How do you intend to win and argument about the context? What are we using to evidence players around them, ability or tactics used? If I simply claim that you're wrong Arsenal are nothing more than a long ball team swing balls into Giroud who never provides service for team mates and does nothing other than shoot, where as Benkete actually keeps the ball impeccably and off far more limited service delivers roughly the same goals per game. Therefore is actually a far superior player. Where do we go from there other than round and round in circles?
    What you just described is a conversation. You know, exchanging opinions. The fact that we may not be able to change each other's minds just means it's a pointless conversation, like 90% of all conversations. More like 99% on the internet. (This one included).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    He's been awful for us too
    Shame Don't think Wenger playing him out wide is doing anyone any favours

ReputationRep:
    Shame Don't think Wenger playing him out wide is doing anyone any favours
    I think it's his and Wenger's fault. Wenger for playing him on the wing but also Rambo's for having a messiah complex. He just tries to do too much and score goals. He's become easy to mark. Needs to go back to the basics and play a little deeper, running into the box every now and again.

It was from his late runs that he'd usually score from. He also holds on to the ball for too long and is slow when it comes to turning/dribbling and picking a pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    I think it's his and Wenger's fault. Wenger for playing him on the wing but also Rambo's for having a messiah complex. He just tries to do too much and score goals. He's become easy to mark. Needs to go back to the basics and play a little deeper, running into the box every now and again.

It was from his late runs that he'd usually score from. He also holds on to the ball for too long and is slow when it comes to turning/dribbling and picking a pass.
    I see. Agree with the late runs into the box, he caused real damage then.
    The more I think about your "messiah complex" statement I more I tend to agree with it. Seems like he tries to be too flashy at times.
    Still, he's only 24 (I think), so plenty of time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Ramsey needs to learn from the best(i.e. Super Frank)

ReputationRep:
    I see. Agree with the late runs into the box, he caused real damage then.
    The more I think about your "messiah complex" statement I more I tend to agree with it. Seems like he tries to be too flashy at times.
    Still, he's only 24 (I think), so plenty of time.
    Yeah, everyone's been saying about the runs. A lot of arsenal fans also agree about his complex. He tends to try to do too much. It becomes easy to mark against and by then, the whole opposition team is back defending. He rarely tracks back as much as he used to. He's always playing as a sort of second striker here.

Yeah, hopefully he realises this and goes back to basics. I think he's become a bit big headed and thinks he's made it now. There's something off about him now that wasn't a few seasons back. He needs to stop buying into his own hype.

ReputationRep:
    Ramsey should leave for a bigger club tbh. Could actually see him doing well at somewhere like Juve or Dortmund.

ReputationRep:
    Ramsey basically needs to play like he just did with Wales
    @Lyrical Prodigy @Zurich The Dutch have lost again

(I can't tag lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    What you just described is a conversation. You know, exchanging opinions. The fact that we may not be able to change each other's minds just means it's a pointless conversation, like 90% of all conversations. More like 99% on the internet. (This one included).
    So in a conversation you literally just state your opinion over and over? If I claim Ade is a better striker than Suarez, you reply to me is going to be Suarez is a better striker than Ade, and back and forth? Of course you don't you try to evidence your points, to debate, and of the simplest measures if by using statistics. At the most basic level statistics is simply the quantified observations. As you said we should watch football, but if we disagree about what we are observing, than statistics can be of use provided their use is not over reaching.

The conclusion from Luke's post is not statistics are pointless as your wrote, its simply the statistics are not substantial enough to evidence his overall point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Where could Arsenal improve tactically and from an individual sense looking at your games this season and your games last season with the squad you have available to you?
    It's simple. We kill the Cazorla.

In all seriousness I think there's a lot of room for improvement in our squad, even without new additions. Not really saying anything new but we take off Ramsey from right wing and have him play central again, alongside Coquelin. I'd take Cazorla off as I've noticed he struggles to carry the ball forward when we're under pressure. I think we'd be better off in some games going with a 4-4-2, Ozil LW and Sanchez right. Have Theo up front but alongside giroud. Don't think Theo has what it takes to be a sole striker, but what with Giroud up front to occupy defenders, it should give more space and chances for Theo. We still keep a goal threat with Ramsey's late runs, or Sanchez if the two up front do fail, and putting Ramsey in the middle should give us more stability defensively over Cazorla.

Individual performances improving? Nothing other than the obvious really, Sanchez needs to pick out his passes better, Ramsey needs to stop being so goal hungry, Ox needs to improve his intelligence etc.. One idea I did have though was to try Ox at false 9/2nd striker. He's fast, finishes well when given the opportunity too, and has decent technique on the ball. Too risky for him to play at CM for us, as his errors have cost us important games before, doesn't have the intelligence for he position yet. No space for him on the wing either other than impact sub

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    It's simple. We kill the Cazorla.

In all seriousness I think there's a lot of room for improvement in our squad, even without new additions. Not really saying anything new but we take off Ramsey from right wing and have him play central again, alongside Coquelin. I'd take Cazorla off as I've noticed he struggles to carry the ball forward when we're under pressure. I think we'd be better off in some games going with a 4-4-2, Ozil LW and Sanchez right. Have Theo up front but alongside giroud. Don't think Theo has what it takes to be a sole striker, but what with Giroud up front to occupy defenders, it should give more space and chances for Theo. We still keep a goal threat with Ramsey's late runs, or Sanchez if the two up front do fail, and putting Ramsey in the middle should give us more stability defensively over Cazorla.
    This. Wenger is trying to fit all of his best players into the team even if it means playing some of them out of position to the detriment of their performances. Agreed on Ramsey being better in the middle and our attack being better with Giroud in the middle and Theo out wide.

The only issues are:

- with Walcott in front of Bellerin we'd be very weak defensively on the right. That brings up the Debuchy vs Bellerin debate.

- Wenger has the middle two playing a quite clear system of Coq winning back the ball and passing off to Cazorla to distribute, maximising both their strengths and minimising their weaknesses, and it actually works quite well when coquelin is playing well. It wouldn't work so well with Ramsey, whose passing range and accuracy is nowhere near as good as Cazorla's.

ReputationRep:
    Ramsey was quality tonight. Really took responsibility and controlled the midfield. Can't wait to see him boss it at the euros.

ReputationRep:
    Ox always gives me cause for concern tbh yet to see a consistent spell of good performances from him, it's just flashes here and there. So many holes in his game atm he plays with no intelligence or tactical awareness. He just lacks efficiency, he's the type of player Guardiola was instantly chuck if he ever came to Arsenal.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.